Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2009, 07:50 AM

Any advice about getting in the car please

Hi, any advice much appreciated!

Maggie has never been totally comfortable with the car but she has always gotten in all be it reluctantly at times.
But recently she has refused to get in, tail between the legs and very scared looking, it's horrible to see.
I'm trying encouraging her with treats and if she does get in rewarding her loads, if that fails then taking a run up to the car which has worked somtimes. Failing that then I lift her in but I'm loathed to do this as I feel I'm forcing her and could create a bad habit (plus it isn't great for my back).

We go in the car most days for short journeys and we're going on holiday to Cornwall in 2 weeks so I'm a little anxious as that it a heck of a long journey for her.

I can't think of anything that's changed or might have spooked her. She's a good traveller once in the car, she doesn't relax I know but she doesn't bark or fidget around or be sick.

Being a rescue maybe there is some bad memory there that has been awakened somehow. I really don't know.

Any tips or should I just keep on keeping on?

Many thanks. Janie.

Ps. Am off to agility later so if you've been kind enough to leave a response please don't think I'm being rude and not answering, I will be back later.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Try feeding her her meals in there.

Also she may be feeling sick, a ginger biscuit could help.

rune
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
Ginger biscuit, she'd like that!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 08:55 AM
There is something you can get from pet meds (can't rememeber the name of it) to calm anxious travelling dogs & doesn't make them drowsy so is ideal for going to agilty etc.. though I don't suppose it would help getting in the car?
Maybe trying changing where she sits in the car round with some different toys etc..
We had the same prob with Tilly not wanting to get in the car, then being really anxious & sick. She always went on the back seat of hubs or my car but this week I've made my boot into a doggy zone (luckily it's a hatchback) & have been taking her out twice a day in it, getting longer each time & she's been great.
The ginger biscuit didn't work for us - but it worked for me when I had morning sickness many years ago!!
Simira
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Is it possible to have her in another part of the car? Move her crate to the backseat, or maybe even the passenger seat for a short time? Also I know you get special harnesses for attaching the dog to the normal belt lock, you might want to try that. It's not ideal, but I know it have helped people before with the same problem.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
Good advice

Also how does she travel in the car, does she sit on the back seat, in the boot, to much to little room, can she see out of windows, is she thrown around.... all these things may contribute to her not liking the car.

Confining a dog to a crate , covered with a blanket , can sometimes make for a better more comfortable ride
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 10:41 AM
i agree with what has been said. I would be trying to give her meals in the car. Also when she gets in voluntarily fuss her up and let her back out, without going any where then going around the block. Mixing it up can help (not going anywhere then build it up slowly then going back down so she doesn't think getting in the car means long trips or any. Easy for me to say but try not to get stressed about it as she will pick up that you are stressed and that will reinforce her fear (Mum's stressed there must be something to stress about).
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Sorry, not sure how old Maggie is and whether she is fit and healthy (although the reference to going to agility would imply that she is fine)?

Hoki, my older bc doesn't like the car either, but she will usually go in by herself. But I now know that if she doesn't, its because she doesn't feel comfortable making the jump into it.

With her it was partly a problem with her legs, but the other thing i realised is that she was sliding as she landed and she really didn't like that experience. (I have quite a wide bumper before the boot and she would quite often put her feet on that first). So I bought a bit of rubber webbing and now lay this on the slippery areas when she gets in and out. it has made a huge difference to her confidence.

So as well as considering whether it is the car/journey itself that is making her more fearful, perhaps consider whether there is a particular reason that she doesn't like the act of getting into the car.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks so much for your replies everyone.

In answer to a few of the questions....Maggie is about 2 or 3 years old and in good health, she's fine doing her agility so I'm guessing there's no issues with her jumping and hurting her legs/joints.
She travels in the boot in a big crate which I try and make cosy with a soft rug and toys.
She's been fine getting in the car up until literally yesterday morning when she point blank refused and I had to life her in.
I am thinking of maybe letting her travel in the footwell of the front seat as she seems slightly better here. In the boot the windows are too high for her to see out of and she doesn't sit or stand only lies down.
I'll ask my vet about anything that might calm her nerves and maybe make the journey a little less stressfull, but it's the getting in that is the bigger problem.
I'm trying to be very matter of fact and ask her once to get "in" (ehich always has been fine before) and if she doesn't get in I lift her in (although I feel like a meanie).
There isn't anything slippy on the way in and when she lands she lands on her rug which is comfy and soft.

When you say feed her meals in the boot, do you mean shutting her in there or staying there with the boot and crate open. What if she won't get in volunterily(sp)?

Really appreciating the advice guys!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
Thanks so much for your replies everyone.

In answer to a few of the questions....Maggie is about 2 or 3 years old and in good health, she's fine doing her agility so I'm guessing there's no issues with her jumping and hurting her legs/joints.
She travels in the boot in a big crate which I try and make cosy with a soft rug and toys.
She's been fine getting in the car up until literally yesterday morning when she point blank refused and I had to life her in.
I am thinking of maybe letting her travel in the footwell of the front seat as she seems slightly better here. In the boot the windows are too high for her to see out of and she doesn't sit or stand only lies down.
I'll ask my vet about anything that might calm her nerves and maybe make the journey a little less stressfull, but it's the getting in that is the bigger problem.
I'm trying to be very matter of fact and ask her once to get "in" (ehich always has been fine before) and if she doesn't get in I lift her in (although I feel like a meanie).
There isn't anything slippy on the way in and when she lands she lands on her rug which is comfy and soft.

When you say feed her meals in the boot, do you mean shutting her in there or staying there with the boot and crate open. What if she won't get in volunterily(sp)?

Really appreciating the advice guys!
Firstly, I would not travel her in the foot well of the car, its dangerous to both you and her.

Feeding her in the car, yes leave doors open, dont shut her in.

More questions, has the crate began to rallt, has she hit herself when getting into the crate.

She may have hurt herself and this is making her weary of the crate.

Does she settle one in the car/crate.. is the only problem with her getting into the car..i.e you having to lift her in.

i have to lift Bandit into the car, every time always have for the last 9 1/2 yrs.. he puts his front feet up on the boot bumper, and waits for me to lift his back ends in..but he is perfectly OK with traveling.

Dont make a big deal out of it , just go about it as normal, id you get stressed or make a deal out of getting her to go in, she will pick up on you.

Rescue remedy is good for any form of anxiaty
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >