Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks guys...

I've cleaned it and cleaned it and I've covered it regularly in liverine unction but, although it does look slightly better she's still moving on three legs and nearly falls over when she walks...

Should we just see a vet?
Yes, I think you would be wise to, just incase there's an infection brewing, or something else embedded in there.

Good luck
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 02:30 PM
The Hibiscrub you get from the Chemist should be pink? This one you dilute 1/10 ish and froth it all up, that's quite important!!! For a really open wound/cut, I would opt for diluted iodine though. I only use my Hibiscrub for flared up skin problems, nothing really deep,I go for the iodine for that! I once had a horse with a punctured sole and my horse vet cut away half of his foot underneath, leaving all the soft open tissue, and he told me to soak the whole foot in iodine solution twice a day, before covering it up, so I don't think you could go far wrong using iodine for a serious cut. Good luck.

Yes, I would definitely see a vet a.s.a.p. cuts on paws can turn quite nasty.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi guys,

I made an appointment with the vet, went down to get T ready and she was running about as normal with no sign of a limp.

She has not shown any other sign of anything stuck in it and it doesn't look at all infected. Actually it looks very clean. I'm still cleaning and putting it antiseptic on it to make sure.

I rang them back and said she seemed fine now and they said not to worry about bringing her. Just feel free to take her in if she got worse again.

She then started crying for a walk - the first time since Sunday morning - and has enjoyed a short run around the park with a sock on. Fingers crossed she seems a lot better but I've not let her do too much - don't want to do too much too soon.

Thanks for all the advice.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2007, 08:28 PM
All i do with Hibiscrub is add 2-3 small capfulls to a bowl of warm water and froth it up.For generally cleaning paws,just dunk them in it and dry with a clean cloth/towel afterwards.

When i take Vegas to a nearby village-a section of the muddy path is contaminted with diesel (you can see & smell it) and once home i always wash his underside and paws in Hibiscrub to make sure he's clean.For this though,i just mix it in a bucket and clean him outside.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Argh she's hopping again. I think she's done too much on it because it felt better.

It has started bleeding again but has stopped again so I will see how she is tomorrow and will rethink the vet visit depending on how she is...

Thanks again, guys
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2007, 08:44 PM
If it keeps opening up-it will probably need stitching.Not a complex procedure,but the vet will need to send her to sleep first.

Vegas had it done last year and the bill ended up a whopping £240 with anitibiotics,bandage changes,consulations,but he was hurt on a sunday where out of hours charge is £55.Insurance paid up though!!!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks Steve,

As it's on her 'toe pad' she can't avoid using it so I think it may need a stitch...

Will have a look at it tomorrow and call the vet again.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Radar Ears View Post
Lottie,

I would check with the vet, because when my Labrador had a "hot-spot" on his head, the vet said that hibiscrub would be too harsh and gave me Pethodine to use.
I think you mean Povodone Iodine, at least I hope you do. Pethidine is a strong analgesic, and a controlled drug.

I just picked up on that in case anyone should ask their vet for Pethidine.

Dawn R.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks Steve,

As it's on her 'toe pad' she can't avoid using it so I think it may need a stitch...

Will have a look at it tomorrow and call the vet again.
I may be wrong but I seem to recall my vet telling me that they can't stitch pads if they're not done instantly, something to do with the skin going hard and not being able to get it to knit together.

Definately worth checking with the vet though.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Well that's why I didn't take her because I didn't think they could be stitched...

I was under the impression that pads can't heal together again, they just heal over or something. Eddy's pad, after being cut has a big groove out of it but it doesn't bother him now.

I just don't want T limping for too long and putting strain on her joints. Obviously I don't want it to affect her gait as she's fantastic at showing, but if it did it wouldn't bother me as much as if she got joint problems from limping.

I'm probably blowing it out of all proportion though, just as my dad informed me was...

She's my babe though - I have to do right by her lol
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >