Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sammieb
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Hi Sammie, that's good to hear.

Could you give us the list of all the allergies your dog has been diagnosed with and the specific variety/flavour of Vet's Kitchen food you are feeding please? Thanks!
Hello Azz
He has been diagnosed with Allergic Skin Disease (ASD)...

He's had a full Serum-Based test which tested over 30 different Allegens. It came back positive to most including grasses, trees, mites etc. the only negative was dust mites (hooray) and food positives was beef, lamb, etc. During the winter months we have to run another series of tests to see how he copes with the allergens that period brings.
I'm told it get's worse as he becomes older.

I've tried many brands of food even the expensive Hills I/D plans to no avail until I saw Vet's Kitchen Light Chicken & Rice on offer at my local supermarket, came home researched a little tried him on it and he ate every last bit without regurgitation.
So I went back and bought a car load!

More importantly he seems much happier on this diet and like I mentioned before there is a noticeable improvement to his coat with less itching.
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2012, 02:43 PM
1. I spent many years wanting to marry Joe Ingles (and become a vet) after Vet School...

2. As far as I was aware he'd been making dog food for donkey's years (pretty sure he is local to me and it was in the local paper)

3. How does it compare to (for instance) Wainwrights Salmon and Potato in ingredients and cost?
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Lama View Post
I agree it is very expensive, perhaps Joe would care to give us a break down of costs ..production /nett profit etc
Chicken meal is actually better than fresh chicken because by the time the kibble is processed all the moisture is taken out of the chicken and you are not left with much. Chicken meal is concentrated chicken if you like because its already been dehydrated.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by sammieb View Post
Hello Azz

He's had a full Serum-Based test which tested over 30 different Allegens. It came back positive to most including grasses, trees, mites etc. the only negative was dust mites (hooray) and food positives was beef, lamb, etc. During the winter months we have to run another series of tests to see how he copes with the allergens that period brings.

I've tried many brands of food even the expensive Hills I/D plans to no avail until I saw Vet's Kitchen Light Chicken & Rice on offer at my local supermarket, came home researched a little tried him on it and he ate every last bit without regurgitation.

More importantly he seems much happier on this diet and like I mentioned before there is a noticeable improvement to his coat with less itching.
Must be a relief for you finding a food he can eat without reaction, goes to show like i said earlier in the thread people shouldn't knock before they've tried !

Frankly its the best food available in the supermarket, the rest is absolute rubbish. I got caught out the other day, i didn't order my usual in time and i ran out so i got some bog standard mixer meal and boy did i pay for it after....cowpats !!!! unfortunately there was nothing else much apart from Pedigree and Bakers and i would not in a thousand years feed that crap
sammieb
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Roofs View Post
1. I spent many years wanting to marry Joe Ingles (and become a vet) after Vet School...

2. As far as I was aware he'd been making dog food for donkey's years (pretty sure he is local to me and it was in the local paper)

3. How does it compare to (for instance) Wainwrights Salmon and Potato in ingredients and cost?

2. Not sure how long he's but since finding his brand I've researched the company --- I'm very impressed - wish he was local to me!!

3. V.K is roughly the same price per portion as Wainrights.
I've also found some great offers on P.A.H website and ASDA.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Just to update, I had to take roxie off vets kitchen after 6 months as she developed Struvite crystals in her bladder. Im not convinced this was related to the food but she has had no problems since I changed to Arden Grange
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by sammieb View Post
Hello Azz

Hi Sammie - if he still has problems I would try a home cooked diet. Home cooked is what suited Rocky best when he had cancer - and I also learnt that rice accelerated the growth after we worked so hard to slow it down on RAW.

So personally I would steer clear of dog foods with rice (and yeast) in them - do vets kitchen have any species appropriate products? (no grains, higher protein and fat, no chems etc)
harrontrueman
New Member!
Male 

09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I think it is costly considering it uses Poultry "Meat meal". Before we realised about Cherry's chicken sensitivity I used to nourish my own on "Pero natural chicken and rice" which is natural and used chicken rather than various meats food.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4