View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 07:06 PM

The difference between animal welfare and animal rights?

what´s the difference between
animal welfare
and animal rights?
and what's the differences between
an ´animal lover?
an animal activist?
and an extremist?
Drago
New Member!
Male 

16-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Animal Welfare - Animals cared for ie properly fed, housed, walked, vetted, treated, not abused hit/kicked, not left to starve/de-hydrate etc.

Animal rights - No pets, no eating animals, no wearing animal coats, basically want no domesticated animals.
(PETA, pedigree exposed program, RSPCA top vet, nutters at shows etc who release dogs from cages etc.)

Animal Lover - Loves animals, in a welfare like way.

Animal activist - Tips paint on fur-coat wearers, criminal damge to property, PETA members, Nutter releasing dogs at shows etc.

Extremist - Happily BOMB a animal test lab, BOMB lab owners home, etc. PETA fund such a group. Sea shepherd also good example.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Animal Welfare is a practical way of ensuring that animals are well cared for, well treated and protected.
Animal Rights is an excuse for self promotion, holier-than-thou posing and stands for the extinction of all animals except those which are still self-sufficient in the wild.

Mick
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 11:08 PM
My definitions are pretty much in keeping with Drago's. I consider myself into animal welfare, definitely not an animal rights nutter.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2010, 02:38 AM
I am not sure I would beat up on all I would consider activists, sort them out first. We had a bunch of stupid state laws here requiring rabies vaccinations every year. I have great respect for the activists that got them repealed. But that was with little help from PETA, the ASPCA, and the national Humane Society. I also respect those advocating more titers and fewer vaccinations as long as they stick to the facts and avoid fear mongering. I have a warm spot in my heart for those educating the public on spay/neuter and responsible breeding.

Some of our practices and laws need activists educating people to reform them. I have no use for those that would use lies or violence to further agendas I otherwise support.