Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 01:50 PM

How many is too many?

I know this question has been asked before, but not by me (i dont think!! haha)

Sooo..how many is too many?

This is assuming vet bills/insurance, exercise, food and individual attention/training requirements are met and that all the dogs are/would be happy. So i guess this is more aimed at whether there is capping level that you would put on for say an average sized house, just a certain number you wouldnt go above.
edit: and would size/breed of dog be a factor?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 02:06 PM
I`ve got 4 large dogs in a small house. It isn`t a problem. My friend has 5 and also boards. I`d say it depends on quality of life - for you and the dogs - as to how many is too many.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 02:11 PM
I could probably squeeze one more small breed dog in, but that would be my maximum. It is not so much the size of the house but the attention that each individual dog requires. If only there were more hours in the day...
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 02:54 PM
I've got 3 large ish dogs in a 4 bedroom detached house and could possibly have one more Dalmatian sized dog without too much bother.

I think it seems more acceptable to have more animals if you breed or 'do' something with them, rather than having them 'just' as pets.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I have 5 in a static caravan! (with a large outside area).

The dogs live in with me and they come to work with me. I have occasionally had an odd extra one - and am always glad when I get back to mine....
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I had 14 large gundogs living with me at one time, I could afford it, they never went short of anything, I was breeding and showing and it all made total sense at the time, but it did get awkward when I became ill and eventually had to rehome them.

Given the chance in the future I would like to have at least two, maybe both English Setters or perhaps one English and one Irish
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-06-2010, 04:01 PM
I have 3 but could just stretch to 4 (not until the pup is grown) i think as the house is not big but then not as small as the shoeboxes they build nowadays, we have a medium side garden by todays standards and live across the road from the canal and river plus many, many woods and walking areas. Insurance companies should consider multi dog policies.
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I have 4 at the moment, and 3 pups. I could (permenantly) probably afford to house, feed etc 6 at the most, I prefer to stick at 3-4 at the max though
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 04:24 PM
I suppose size and breed would be a factor, but not as much as having a good garden, suitably arranged household accommodation and close proximity to free exercise.
Neighbours would also be a factor to consider if you live in an average urban environment. If people have two or more dogs some neighbour folks are on the look out for problems and are very quick to claim nuisance, even when unfounded.
My breed is quite large and very active, so I have never had more than three at one time (except for when the pups were around and then there were 12 for a while).
I am lucky in that my surroundings are also just about ideal for keeping dogs, as we have direct access from the garden onto open countryside without going out the front way.
If the dogs are to live in the house - as mine always do - being able to give them freedom inside the house is also important to me ( i.e. without having to use cages). This is another reason why three is enough for me as I have to clean up.
I don't want husband to leave home
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 04:28 PM
I have 4 dogs and I find that is the number that suits me . I can give each one enough individual attention and take them all out at once which is important to me . I wouldn't like to be in a situation where I had to walk them in shifts .
I have occasionally had 5 but I am slightly stretched at that number so I prefer to stick with 4 . I guess whatever number suits each persons individual situation .
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >