Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I totally agree, and I wouldn’t swap my boy for any dog. it just bugs the life out of me, when certain owners think their dogs are better, coz they are pedigrees, or because some idiot decided to breed two dogs together for no real reason and charge a ridiculous amount for them, and make a new 'breed'.

I don’t know if he is a crossbreed or not, but why should he be thought less of (and im not meaning by you, but to people in general coz it does happen) just coz he MAY be made up from more than two breeds?? I don’t know, so I either say he is a crossbreed or a mixed breed. But, like I said, mongrel has many negative connotations attached to it so I will not call him it. you talk about people showing ignorance by calling your dogs mongrels when they are crossbreeds… maybe it just coz some people do not care! A pedigree is a pedigree coz it is an ACTUAL breed, whereas a dog who has parents of different breeds (whether they are pedigree or crossbreed) isn’t an actual breed and so to many people a crossbreed and a mongrel are the same thing. I know technically they are different, but as far as I am concerned they are not.

If you disagree with the silly names people come up with for breeds, then why do you use them for your dogs by calling them a labradoodle and a goldendoodle?
I don't usually - I just say they are crossbreeds but on forums like this and especially on related threads it is clearer. I don't really have an objection so much to Labradoodle, Goldendoodle or Cockerpoo, probably because they were bred for purpose but it has gone to silly extremes now like Puggles, Sh1ttypoos, Yorkiepoos etc. they are basically just moneymaking names for the sake of ££££.
Drago
New Member!
Male 

19-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
[/COLOR]I don't usually - I just say they are crossbreeds but on forums like this and especially on related threads it is clearer. I don't really have an objection so much to Labradoodle, Goldendoodle or Cockerpoo, probably because they were bred for purpose but it has gone to silly extremes now like Puggles, Sh1ttypoos, Yorkiepoos etc. they are basically just moneymaking names for the sake of ££££.

Cockerpoo's have been around for decades yet still have no standard. The labradoodle started in the late eighties, to
create a allergy free service dog. It was a total disaster
the offspring had the wrong temperment/coats etc. The guy who started it gave up and tried to sell the crossed dogs as labrador/poodles mixes.

No one was interested so he made up the name labradoodle and instantly people wanted this 'new breed' of dog. BYB's quickly realised that by making up silly names for crosses they could make loads of £££ by claiming they had a 'new breed' - many people fell for the lies sprouted by the so called 'breeders' - 'soon to be recognised! Best of both breeds! Healthier than a purebred dog! Allergy free! unique! Cute! etc. The guy who started this now regrets it for the trend he started!

Sorry but the Labradoodle/goldendoodle/cockerpoo are bred for no purpose but money! I've seen a few of them and the owners always sprout the usual nonsence I gave above, fed to them by the 'breeders'. Not that alone they spent twice the price my mother paid for her so called 'sick, inbred, stupid' pedigree golden retreiver. Funny, he's not sick, inbred nor stupid!'

I don't hate mixes (before the SNOB! comments come), but intentionally breeding them i do hate! Unless there is actual true purpose for the mix (alaskan husky,lurcher) etc. The labradoodle was a failure but the trend it created wasn't...

Cute & unique (making £££!) do not warrant breeding (all dogs have unique temperments/personalities anyway! Why would a crossbreed be any more unique?!). My husky has his own unique personality as does the womans husky who lives up the road!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Do they, what negative connotations are attached to a mongrel
'Tis enshrined in our language.

Definitions of mongrel on the Web:

•*******: derogatory term for a variation that is not genuine; something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin; "the architecture was a kind ...
•cur: an inferior dog or one of mixed breed
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e&ved=0CAYQkAE
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
It is madness isn't it.

To be honest though it is the end result of a long line of interference into dog breeding that we have by and large put up with for years now.

Is it ok to breed a dog with a pushed in snout, because some committee somewhere thought it looked better, but not so good to breed a dog without hair? I know that is not what you are suggesting - both are bad and are examples of how far interference into the basic make up of dogs has gone unfortunately.
Er, whats wrong with a pushed in "nose" - isnt a "snout" what a pig has!!!! I dont run your choice of dog down!!!!!
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2010, 02:00 AM
crossbred dogs are great but so are pedigree dogs..I've owned mutts ,cross breeds and purbreds...

but no matter what your prefrence is ...

all that matters is you give your dog your heart and they'll give you theirs

no matter their shape size color breed...they dont care about our shape size color rather were smart or dull.. so why should it matter to us.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I was speaking to a friend who shows/breeds Pugs today and she saw an advert for Pug x Bulldogs for £1,000

Crazy world - 10 weeks, 10 months, 10 years downline when the owner who spent so much wants rid, that initial price wont matter, out the pup/dog goes - a big price does not guarantee a home for life
I know, my OH's sister is a serial offender of this pays huge amounts for a dog only to get rid of it 8mths later as she wonders why the dog isn't doing as she said, mind you they are better off out of her care, she randomly feeds them, when we talked to her we use to go over and I would throw food out for them, they were starving poor animals.

The price people pay means nothing, it is the intention the person has when obtaining the dog that matters, my 'free' dog, has now cost me about the price of 3 pedigree dogs, but he is mine and he deserves the best and I will give him that, they aren't throw away items, they are our best friends and our secret keepers .
Those who don't value what animal they do have is the crime, not the pedigree, bitza, whatever you want to call your dog, mind you don't get offended if I laugh at some of the names call my dog what you want, at the end of the day the fact it is my dog that counts to me
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by spaznchevy View Post
crossbred dogs are great but so are pedigree dogs..I've owned mutts ,cross breeds and purbreds...

but no matter what your prefrence is ...

all that matters is you give your dog your heart and they'll give you theirs

no matter their shape size color breed...they dont care about our shape size color rather were smart or dull.. so why should it matter to us.
Let's hope that these ****** on here digest what you have said because several times I have said the same and all they do is pick arguements on the other points I've put when at the end of the day what you've written above is all that matters, surely???
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Let's hope that these ****** on here digest what you have said because several times I have said the same and all they do is pick arguements on the other points I've put when at the end of the day what you've written above is all that matters, surely???
It would also be hoped you can grow up a little and learn, that everyone is entitled to voice their opinion, and hold a view on any given subject...without you resorting to abusive name calling... twice on one day, you are really letting yourself down.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
It would also be hoped you can grow up a little and learn, that everyone is entitled to voice their opinion, and hold a view on any given subject...without you resorting to abusive name calling... twice on one day, you are really letting yourself down.
I suggest then that all the people on these threads that have been so argumentative against MY VIEWS also get the same message. I am entitled to MY opinion as are everyone else and none of us have to agree with each other - FACT. I am not letting myself down but I would be if I didn't adhere to my principles. As for rudeness, I think the person who was so insulting on page one about peole with bad grammer and spelling has the award for the rudest person on this thread...disgraceful!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2010, 10:31 AM
I suggest then that all the people on these threads that have been so argumentative against MY VIEWS also get the same message. I am entitled to MY opinion as are everyone else and none of us have to agree with each other - FACT. I am not letting myself down but I would be if I didn't adhere to my principles. As for rudeness, I think the person who was so insulting on page one about peole with bad grammer and spelling has the award for the rudest person on this thread...disgraceful!
And you take a very well placed second.

People are entitled to disagree with you, you are entitled to disagree with them.. that what forums and debates are for... but you are not entitled to use innuendos to insult people.

There is no need for that kind of response, the ** dont hide what you mean, all the does matter is that people respect other people's opinions, they can disagree with them till the cows come home.. its not a case of one opinion mattering and all the rest dont.

So yes, you have let yourself down, by behaving like a spoilt child ,because no one is agreeing with you.
Closed Thread
Page 17 of 50 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »