Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
still ot
why is it owners of rescues usually say 'i have a rescue' rather than 'i have a dog'?
Its a get out clause!

rune
spot
Dogsey Veteran

05-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Its a get out clause!

rune
In what way? Why do people with rescues need a get out clause?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

05-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
I guess if people are happy to spend their money like that then it is up to them. I don't have a problem with the cost I am being asked to pay to be honest - if I did have I wouldn't have gone ahead and decided to get it.

The problems with crossing different breeds willy-nilly though I can see could be a problem and result in problems. You describe the cross of a Collie and a GWP as a 'gamble' and I agree that it probably is.Personally, I feel that cockerpoo's do not fall into the category of being a gamble as it is a breed (for want of a better word) that has been established since the 1950's, although I realise that not everyone will share that view.
But it isnt a breed is it? Its still a cross - or did your breeder use cockawhatsits to breed from?

Also sorry to be repetative but what health checks were done on both parents - you may have answered this but I have not had chance to catch up. (dont ask bin to reading today )
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
In what way? Why do people with rescues need a get out clause?
It excuses all sorts of behaviour and distances the owner from it by blaming the previous circumstances.

BTW---it was tongue in cheek somewhat.

rune
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 01:48 AM
I was always led to believe that pups from 2 pedigree parents but different breeds are known as first crosses.

Anything else if there parents are a mixture are cross breeds or mongrels.Or Heinz 57.

My Sabre's 16 years old hes a GSD X Flat coat Retriever.
So what should we call him.
This will be interesting.

But to me hes a first cross.
Yes, you are correct

Cracks me up that any other name is needed unless for descriptive purposes----they are mongrels if not pedigrees!

rune
Im shocked by this post - this is definitely breed snobbery

i am not against breeds or breeding, quite the opposite as the breeding can produce traits that we can capitalise and therefore out dogs remain pets, not wild animals

what boils my blood is breed snobbery and this thread stinks of it
Sadly I would have to agree with you

What I have always found interesting is that in the cat world the off spring of two pedigree cats of different breeds are known as "pedigrees".

The reason that the crossing of two different breeds is so popular is because there is a demand for them from the general public.........
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Cross a Cocker Spaniel with a Rottweiler and you have an ideal dog to give your ex-boyfriend - CockRott.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Velvet boxer----As far as I am concerned a dog is a dog---four legs, a tail and a bark.

I think it stinks when people are told they are buying something special and think they have a 'pedigree' because the history of their pup is known.

I don't have any problem with someone who knows what they are getting being prepared to buy any dog.

Breed snobbery------moi? I think not (G)!

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2010, 08:10 AM
I was always led to believe that pups from 2 pedigree parents but different breeds are known as first crosses

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Yes, you are correct

Sorry but you are wrong, two pedigrees of the same breed produce a pedigree, two pedigrees of different breeds produce a cross breed, anything else is a mongrel.

Theres no breed snobbery in that , just facts.

First crosses or F1`s, are dogs that are used in a breeding programme to produce a new breed, but they will then go on to be bred back to those f1`s, creating F2`s/F3`s... they will eventually after many generations become a breed, (if bred to type and consistency) look at the RBT fro instance a very good breeding programme in creating a new breed over a short period of time.

The poos and doodles of the world don't fall into that category..because must have had no thought to future breeding programme's, and never get past the first cross.

Thats not breed snobbery , please find me a post where anyone has actually shown snobbery towards a dog, the snobbery (as some have called it) is concern for the dogs and they callousness of the breeders who give no thought to producing thousands of unhealthy tests crossbreeds, fooling people into thinking they are the new breed, and giving false information on non shedding a d temperament.

If I fall intot he catagory of breed snobbery , for being aware of that, so be it.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Cross a Cocker Spaniel with a Rottweiler and you have an ideal dog to give your ex-boyfriend - CockRott.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=Jackbox;1924323

Sorry but you are wrong, two pedigrees of the same breed produce a pedigree, two pedigrees of different breeds produce a cross breed, anything else is a mongrel.

Theres no breed snobbery in that , just facts.

First crosses or F1`s, are dogs that are used in a breeding programme to produce a new breed, but they will then go on to be bred back to those f1`s, creating F2`s/F3`s... they will eventually after many generations become a breed, (if bred to type and consistency) look at the RBT fro instance a very good breeding programme in creating a new breed over a short period of time.

The poos and doodles of the world don't fall into that category..because must have had no thought to future breeding programme's, and never get past the first cross.

Thats not breed snobbery , please find me a post where anyone has actually shown snobbery towards a dog, the snobbery (as some have called it) is concern for the dogs and they callousness of the breeders who give no thought to producing thousands of unhealthy tests crossbreeds, fooling people into thinking they are the new breed, and giving false information on non shedding a d temperament.

If I fall intot he catagory of breed snobbery , for being aware of that, so be it.[/QUOTE]

Im afraid I dont agree with you Jackie. I never said that two first crosses were a pedigree, I agreed with the poster who said that they were a "first cross" and unless things have dramatically changed since I was showing dogs I would still go along with that statement.

I have no objection to people buying a crossbred puppy. If that is what they want and are prepared to spend their money on, so be it.

However I do object to people advertising pedigree puppies, people paying huge monies for it and then some months down the line finding out they have been sold a crossbred - it happened to a neighbour of my parents, he bought a Boxer puppy and by the time it was 12 months old it resembled a Labrador more than a Boxer with the light yellow coat and texture. He had papers for his "Boxer" puppy. Then there was the case of the lady who went to buy a Pug and spent a lot of money as Pugs dont come cheap. Again she got papers for her Pug pup - she thought the fluffy coat was just a "puppy" coat. Except the fluffy coat got fluffier and longer. These unscrupulous breeders are true villans!

There are those who say that the "true" designer dog is the mongrel - you dont often get two identical even in litters or if they do look alike as pups by the time they are adults they wont. As no one is sure what parentage the parents where, they cant re-create the mating and have pups/dogs the same. There is a certain logic in that.

After all Jackie it isnt so long ago that someone in our own breed decided to cross a Corgi with a Boxer to create a natural tailess Boxer. Now I personally would not knowingly go out to buy a pup of this parentage/background but there are numerous who do and actively seek out pups that carry this gene and the pups cost a lot of money. However its "each to their own"

Changing the subject slightly there is still snobbery and discrimination attached to the White Boxer. I have heard people through rescue saying they dont want or wouldnt consider a White Boxer as they "aren't a true Boxer".

I have also come across people who have a pedigree dog yet have no papers for the dog, does that make their dog any less a pedigree because it does not come with papers....

A thread like this can open up a whole lot of possibilities
Closed Thread
Page 10 of 50 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »