Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
monosyllabic
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-12-2008, 10:04 PM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Inlaws

I was out today with my mother in law and she was telling me a story about her dog and I thought I would share it because she cracks me up with her dog. He dog is a collie called Dougal and he is a great dog just not in her hands. Since she has had him he has bitten 2 people one of them me when I stopped him getting ripped apart by 3 rottys that he attacked them, it had ran away 3 times, attacked every dog in the street and loads of other things I can't remember.
So anyway she was telling me about how she is taking control if the dog and of a new game she is playing with the dog and I couldn't stop laughing. Dougal picks up a stick and will run to the middle of the field then drops the stick he then runs off to the other end of the field. So she will go pick up the stick from the middle of the field then take it to him so then he does the exact same taking the stick to the middle of the field then running to the other side until she brings him the stick.
After wetting myself laughing I pointed out to her that he was playing fetch with her and she should really stop playing it because he will get even more dominant over her. She then told me she has been given 2 warnings by the police and if she gets 1 more he will be taken off her.
I really don't know if I should laugh or cry.
Does anyone know if the dog will be put down or re homed?? or does it depend on an assessment?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Well I can see the funny side....but I also see a smart Collie. Being a Collie owner myself I wouldn't like to think that they had out-smarted me.

I think your inlaws would benefit from training classes...it sounds as if the Collie would pick up on training fast...and to be honest your in-laws need training.
Sorry don't mean to offend, but after warnings from the police they run a real risk of him being PTS.

Sometime ago I posted something very similar...members may remember.....a elderly couple had been bought a BC from a dogs home by thier daughter, they spent sometimes as many as 5 hours waiting in the carpark of Cannon Hill Park, waiting for him to come back to them. This was a BC who had worked out (very quickly) that they were not in a position to catch him, and believe me HE dangled a carrott right under thier noses. They really loved him, but he had showed them that HE was boss, and had nipped them quite a few times. With the help of a Police Dog handler and myself, he was rehomed with the Police Dog handler....who I have to say has turned him around 100%, he now does agility and obedience.....and is such a happier chap.
I think your inlaws should consider training classes, it sounds as if he needs some order brought into his life with a purpose...then he would be such a different dog.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2008, 12:14 AM
I totally agree with Youngstevie, although it is funny to think of your MIL being made to "Fetch" by the dog, he is in a very vulnerable position and needs some help.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Sounds like your MIL and dog need a spot of training.

Is this something you could help with ?

Loved the tale by the way - my Spaniel often has me playing fetch.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Hmmmm - MiL definitely needs some training.

Smart dog, though !
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 09:38 AM
yes i agree with everyone else in that the dog and owners need to attend training classes. This sounds like a typical under stimulated collie to me that needs something to do otherwise its typical to get the sort of behaviour problems you are describing. From what you have said it seems that these warning recieved by your inlaws are/have been necessary as the dog is obviously out of control. It is also true that these behaviours can usually be controlled by visiting an experienced trainer.If the dog gets a third warning i believe he will be seized and a destruction order applied for from a court and all the police have to do is prove he is a danger or poses a threat of harm or fear amongst the public. I dont mean to go on but this subject i am really passionate about as i believe to many 'good' dogs are put to sleep due to behavioural problems that are caused by owners lack of knowledge/understanding of the breed they own. And lets not forget that the real possibility of the dog actually biting and innocent child/person and doing some real damage-problems like this occur when too many dogs are underestimated in the behavioural problems they have. good luck.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:21 AM
I agree with the others. Funny story BUT the dog clearly needs some stimulation and your MIL needs some training! Are they local to you? Could you help give the dog some training, or perhaps pass on the details of a decent dog trainer or behaviourist?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:40 AM
the dog is suicidal...attacking three rottweilers... ouch.

yes training is the way forward... sooner rather than later.

can I ask is your MIL quite fit? if so something with a bit of agility thrown in could burn up more of that energy than just normal obed.

does the dog do a fair amount of walking?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 01:41 PM
It is funny reading but your mil will be in tears if shes forced to give the dog up, you could go along with her to a class, give her some support, just hope it works out for the collie Dougal wouldn't wanna be reading he'd been taken away x
monosyllabic
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Sounds like your MIL and dog need a spot of training.

Is this something you could help with ?

Loved the tale by the way - my Spaniel often has me playing fetch.
I have tried to help but I just get frustrated with her cause it goes in one ear and out the other.
She is a dog lover but really should not have a demanding breed or a dog at all. Since I have known her she has had4 dogs and they have all run away but I in go in the bad books if i have a go at her so
I have heard her say "Stop wait sit stay good boy" just like that with no break and the dog ends up confused and i keep saying 1 command at a time but it last 2 min.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree with the others. Funny story BUT the dog clearly needs some stimulation and your MIL needs some training! Are they local to you? Could you help give the dog some training, or perhaps pass on the details of a decent dog trainer or behaviourist?
She is fairly local (i'm in Dalkeith she lives in Balerno) but I don't like going to see the dog anymore because it upsets me. He has always got fleas and ticks (she is an anti war protester and is up at the tree hugger camp outside Bilston so he mingles with they dogs and they all have fleas and tics)

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
the dog is suicidal...attacking three rottweilers... ouch.

yes training is the way forward... sooner rather than later.

can I ask is your MIL quite fit? if so something with a bit of agility thrown in could burn up more of that energy than just normal obed.

does the dog do a fair amount of walking?
That made me LOL

She goes to training a lot and goes to loads of different classes but she it not stong minded anough to take in what is good for her and leave the rest so Dougal has a muzzle,Halti,2 leads and not she is talking about getting pinch collar GrRRR.
I just needed to vent a bit. I had him for a week and once of the local guys that has working collies was interested in rehoming him because he thought he was a natural but she would not have it even thought it would be for the best.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >