View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2014, 11:21 AM

Best way to get a dog to settle into new home?

I am moving in a couple of months time and as Alfie is my dog he is coming with me.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on the best way to settle a dog when moving home?

I get my keys on one day, then I am working the next couple so he will be staying with my parents then (as will I) so will be going over in the evenings to decorate and sort bits out, and then the 4 days after that I have off work to move in properly.

I just want him to be as calm as possible.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2014, 02:18 PM
How exciting ! does Alfie have a crate with familiar blankets etc as if his ' resting enviroment ' is literally going to be the same but somewhere else this will help him feel secure. People have mentioned leaving him with something with your scent on to keep him settled before as well.
I moved in November and my buddy was fine - i think it helped that that my new kitchen doesn't have an outside door so he can't see out so doesn't get wound up so much if a cat was to wonder past etc so that might be something to consider. Hope it goes well
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2014, 02:31 PM
We moved house in April and had 10 days to do it. We did it very gradually so Ella could slowly get used to the new house. First, I went over there to feed her and play with her, as I was dropping off boxes. She wasn't around when we did the bulk of the move so she didn't get stressed out with the in-and-out of the moving.
Then we took her over to stay with us at night but I dropped her off at the old place during the day because I wasn't comfortable leaving her at the new house yet.
It went really well and she settled in extremely quickly too!
We also had a DAP diffuser plugged into the new house from the first day, so if your dog responds to that well then that might be an option.
It's probably handy if he can stay at your parents while all the big moving happends, but I also think it's important for them to 'see' the transition (I think my dog would have been more confused and stressed if she'd stayed at her granddads while we were moving and then saw the new house when everything was already in place).
Good luck with the move! I know it's stressful but it's also exciting
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I was needing to get a new bed for him anyway so what I did was order it a couple of days ago so he has the best part of two months to get used to it to hopefully help.

Hoping he is okay about it all!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2014, 10:07 PM
We've always taken the dogs to visit before we moved in, and have never had too many problems when the move came. One warning though - make sure your fencing is dog proof! If they do get out they are in a strange area. Our last house was canalside with 6 foot fencing - this was OK till we visited when the canal was frozen and Mia Lurcher thought this was a good escape route! Fortunately Old English owner on the towpath side held on to her till we could get round and collect.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2014, 10:51 PM
When we moved here, we lived six weeks in a static caravan and came every day to renovate. The dogs came with us and both took to it like a duck to water.

Jade was a dog who was terrified of everything except, it seems, having to adapt to a new home. Bless her, she coped with the workmen and everything being topsy turvy and never turned a hair
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2014, 03:47 AM
I think perfect might be to set up his area first. A bed with maybe a clothing item of yours, a familiar blanket or toy. And decide where the food and water bowls will be and have a visit and feed him there. Some treats as you both explore the new house wouldn't hurt. Best wishes!