View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 05:47 AM
[QUOTE=Losos;2576208] the thing the estate agents will not be selling is all the memories (Happy and otherwise) which will stay with you.

That is a great way to look at it x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Hi Lynn, I can understand how you feel with the house sale, 51 years is a long time to be in one place but think of how it will benefit your Mum in the long run, and a house is really just bricks & mortar, the thing the estate agents will not be selling is all the memories (Happy and otherwise) which will stay with you.

So far as Gordons job is concerned, that is so typical of what can go on in these countries, meaning last minute changes to requirements, but I'm sure Capita will get it sorted 'tho I can confirm that once it is it will be panic stations as they will want him out there the next day. Best advice I can give is get the suitcase packed now and all the other things sorted asap.

Interesting times ahead for you I think.
You are right Harvey about the house it is only bricks and mortar and that is what we have been telling mum you will keep your memories with you plus your photos of which there are box loads.

For me it will poignant going tomorrow to have it valued knowing it will become someone else's home but although I will feel a little sad I will move on quicker than mum as I haven't lived there for 35 years. Once my dad died I didn't feel the same about the house anyway without him coming round from the living room door smiling when he saw me walk in the through the kitchen.

Everything changes and we have to learn move on from the past whether mum will or not we will have to wait and see.

Goodness that quick better get packing then.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Must be a very, very difficult time for you Lynn, but at least things will now be moving, you won't be in that state of limbo once the house has gone and sadly Gorden too, but that won't be forever and at least you will then have a goal to reach by selling your own home and moving on yourself. Exciting times ahead, let's hope everything goes smoothly, God knows you've had your fair share of stress over these past few years, and I hope this is the turning point to put you on the right track for a much better life.

Imagine if you didn't have that big, fluffy boy to keep you sane huh! You're luckier than you think Lynn

I hope your dear mum will welcome the big change to her life and I know it will be better for you and Gill to hand over those reins to those who do it best, even though it's gonna cost ya! Bit of advice from one who knows, make sure you read every darn word in that "contract" because we got caught out in one of the homes I had mum in, we had to pay £5K when I brought her back home (not that you will be of course) to give them a month's notice This little gem was put right in the middle of the contract, where I didn't bother to look coz I thought it was all garble about the home itself, sadly it wasn't. I think it also applied for if she passed away in that home, so that's why I'm warning you, so you can scrub that bit out before signing!

All the best, it'll get so much easier for you soon Lynn.xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Must be a very, very difficult time for you Lynn, but at least things will now be moving, you won't be in that state of limbo once the house has gone and sadly Gorden too, but that won't be forever and at least you will then have a goal to reach by selling your own home and moving on yourself. Exciting times ahead, let's hope everything goes smoothly, God knows you've had your fair share of stress over these past few years, and I hope this is the turning point to put you on the right track for a much better life.

Imagine if you didn't have that big, fluffy boy to keep you sane huh! You're luckier than you think Lynn

I hope your dear mum will welcome the big change to her life and I know it will be better for you and Gill to hand over those reins to those who do it best, even though it's gonna cost ya! Bit of advice from one who knows, make sure you read every darn word in that "contract" because we got caught out in one of the homes I had mum in, we had to pay £5K when I brought her back home (not that you will be of course) to give them a month's notice This little gem was put right in the middle of the contract, where I didn't bother to look coz I thought it was all garble about the home itself, sadly it wasn't. I think it also applied for if she passed away in that home, so that's why I'm warning you, so you can scrub that bit out before signing!

All the best, it'll get so much easier for you soon Lynn.xxx
Thanks Helena.

Michael eldest brother has read the contract and signed it and Gill will counter sign. Don't worry he will of read that small print and digested it twice before signing.
As for us bringing her home that won't happen once the house is sold as there will be nowhere for her to go. Gill, Paul and myself have stairs which she cannot manage and Michael is 71 next month and Margagret a couple of years older so they cannot manage her anymore due to age.

This is the sad thing about living so long and being rendered disabled to boot. Your children grow old too and cannot mange physically or mentally what they use to be able to do.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2012, 08:26 AM
I have what my Father called "House Purchase papers". It includes copies of letters and postcards to Laings, who were building the then A1 estate - copies of things like what colour edgings he and Mother wanted on the kitchen and bathroom tiles [an indoor bathroom at that!], and copies of the mortgage application and agreement - and then the deeds when the mortgage was finally paid.

My parents first viewed the then unfinished house at the end of November 1938 and moved in in January 1939. Laings had to halt the finishing of the estate due to the war, and only completed it post war. I think my parents bought the last house that they finished pre-war.

After I came to Israel Mother sold the house and bought an apartment in a new-build sheltered accommodation block in Hemel Hempstead.

I went back to the UK - for the first and last time - following the Gulf War in 1991. I wanted to visit some friends - neighbours - in that road, one of whom lived in the next house to the one I was born and brought up in, and another who lived in the same road but just round the corner.

But I could not go past my old home let alone look at it - I had to turn the car round and go another way to the second old friend.

Just bricks and mortar.

But I still cannot get my head around someone else living in our home. Only it has not been our home for what - maybe 25 years now. And was not my even my home after I married although I did end up living just 5 minutes away from it.

Only bricks and mortar.

But a lifetime of memories.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Lynn take plenty of pictures of the house, inside and out so you can have your memories. It will be hard but I think also a relief as you can then stop a lot of the worrying over everything. Your mum won't be able to give you anymore stress about wanting to go home. She will be in a settled place being well cared for where you can all visit her and I think she really will settle better when she no longer has it.
I think it will be very very tough for your mum and I can understand her wanting to go home for a last look round, although it will be extremely emotional for her.

Hugs to you all but I think in the end it will be the best thing all round
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Tough situation Lynn, it needs to be done and will be easier for your mum and all of you but very sad to see your childhood house go after it has been in the family for so long. My dad is looking to move early next year, it has been the family home for 26 years, and I am pleased for him as he will be downsizing to a more manageable home but sad to think of our house going.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2