Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Join up?

I've been watching a lot of shows about horses lately, dramas and documentaries. I was just wondering if anyone here has ever done join up with their horses?

For those who don't know; Join up includes chasing your horse in the paddock or training ring, staring it in the eye the whole time and then when you feel the horse is ready, you stop the horse with your body by simply standing in front of it and walk to it staring it in the eye, then when you turn and walk away you should be followed and the horse should be stuck to you like glue.

So has anyone done this?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Chasing the horse??? that sounds rather dangerous and cruel
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:16 PM
No I don't do join up as I've never needed to. I do a lot of NH groundwork with my horses and they follow me over jumps and through obstacles (weave poles and S bends) without lead ropes/halters.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Chasing the horse??? that sounds rather dangerous and cruel
It's not really chasing, more like driving the horse..
It is communication with the horse; horses chase younger ones out of the herd and allow them to sneak back in as a lesson in respect and punishment, it isn't cruel and is only dangerous if you know nothing about horses and their body language. Join up also shows the horse it can trust you too.

A sign of a horse wanting to join up is the licking of the lips after you have stopped them in their tracks. There is another sign but I can't remember what it is.

There are other methods to get a horse to respect and trust you, one I believe is tying a front hoof up to it's body or up a length of the body and in a way forcing it to the ground - however I am not sure if this is entirely right but it is mainly used in the what I would call "cowboy states" of America.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
No I don't do join up as I've never needed to. I do a lot of NH groundwork with my horses and they follow me over jumps and through obstacles (weave poles and S bends) without lead ropes/halters.
I suppose you'd only really need do it with a horse that is unbroken or has been abused.

Is it easier to work with a naked horse or a tacked up one?
Can I ask what NH is?

I'm not into horse speak lol
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I've worked with horses that are unbroken, abused and 'problem' horses, as well as those without issues.

NH is Natural Horsemanship. Monty Roberts, who does Join Up,and Pat Parelli are types of Natural Horsemanship.

(if you've watched The Horse Whisperer film you would have seen Join Up being used).
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I've worked with horses that are unbroken, abused and 'problem' horses, as well as those without issues.

NH is Natural Horsemanship. Monty Roberts, who does Join Up,and Pat Parelli are types of Natural Horsemanship.

(if you've watched The Horse Whisperer film you would have seen Join Up being used).
I haven't watched the horsewhisperer, just Martin Clunes' horsepower, but I first saw it on the Canadian drama "heartland" about a horse ranch. I find it interesting.

Would you ever think about Join up if the other techniques didn't work for some reason?
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 11:00 PM
i was just about to say slb you have been watching heartland i watch it to but must fess up i know nothing about horses, but love the programme
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
i was just about to say slb you have been watching heartland i watch it to but must fess up i know nothing about horses, but love the programme
Lol I watch it so I have a constant reminder that I need to go riding soon! I miss riding so much, but join up seems to be a more American way of things and Martin Clunes knew nothing about it last night on "Horsepower" so I was curious as to whether anyone on here had tried it.

I love watching it Heartland though - you do learn things and Wildfire when that was on, although I thought that was more about the people than the horses..
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 08:31 AM
yes i watched wildfire too (yes your right it is more about the people and wildfire too of course )

this is a new series of heartland that is on now, its about time, i had seen the first series twice, so when i saw it was coming back on again, i wasn't going to watch it until i saw it was a new series

as i said i dont know anything really about horses, but its always good to learn a little bit
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >