Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mary Fedor
New Member!
Female 

04-04-2011, 11:04 PM

Chewing sticks

I have an 18 week old Wheaten Terrier puppy. She LOVES to chew on sticks. Is this an okay behavior? Should I discourage it, or allow it? Sometimes, she's so interested in chewing she won't go to the bathroom when we're outside? Thanks for your help.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Most people don't allow their dogs to chew sticks as they can cause splinters in the mouths, the dogs can choke on them and they aren't really good for her.

My 11 month old puppy isn't allowed sticks for the sheer reason he brings them in the house - if I catch him in the garden, the sticks go over the hedge.

A nice chew toy should settle the urges - she is 18 weeks - she's teething, so perhaps a google of puppy chew toys/ teething toys and remove all sticks from the garden - especially the little ones.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 09:25 AM
substitute the sticks for toys, dont let her chew sticks because they can splinter in her mouth. she could swallow bits and they could puncture her. find interesting chew toys for her instead. shes going to want to chew because shes teething, so just give her something safer.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
get her a safestix

http://www.colliecorner.com/stick-to-toys/

http://www.safestix.co.uk/

They are great.