View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
............ plus you have put the reward on a variable reinforcement schedule.........
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
It has been on BBC3 as well, that's where I first saw it a few years ago. Has evidently been sold to other channels as well now though, probably has been for a while.

If you look at my post with the link, you'll see their doing another series of what I suspect is DB. If it's not, it sounds like something very like it. Have a look and see what you think.
It doesnt say what type of training it is...
You need a passport? i wonder why?
I hope its not another like DB, Some positive training would be good though, maybe they should get intouch with kikopup off youtube, i like her
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by mcv View Post
Can you believe she actually buys the dog a bucket of candy floss for treats??
Yep-what a waste!

My favourite one was the mother and daughter from Ipswich with 2 Yorkshire terriers. They became Mic Martin disciples and even started dressing like him! They were so funny but their dogs certainly improved and they were very pleased with the result and they were older dogs too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Are you talking about the women or the canines...............
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Yep-what a waste!

My favourite one was the mother and daughter from Ipswich with 2 Yorkshire terriers. They became Mic Martin disciples and even started dressing like him! They were so funny but their dogs certainly improved and they were very pleased with the result and they were older dogs too.

I'm sure i have seen them in pets at home Ipswich!!! Hahahahhaha.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Yep-what a waste!

I wonder if those two dogs did improve? The after shots were set up. No other dogs were around (if memory serves).

I know the one with the dog eating Macdonalds was set up for filming with the film crew scattering the empty wrappings around just to get the shots they wanted.

Seen tons of unhappy fallout from people following the techniques shown on the shows including one fairly bad bite
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
*Posts discussing the use of ecollars have been removed*

More info in the link below

Partial ban on electric shock collars

Thank you Carole.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I used to like the way Mick made the owners do press ups etc to re-inforce the need for hard work..I don't agree with a lot of their training techniques but in the opening one training guy says he's never met an owner he can't train, most of the owners on that programme are not really IMO doggy people and have no clue about the breed of dog they have!! Think they deliberatley choose these types of owners to make 'good TV'!!!
I was shocked in the one on today about the woman feeding her cocker spaniel on candy floss it was double it's body weight and she brought some to camp for a treat Mick told her in no uncertain terms that if it continued her dog would die he possibly could've been more tactful but better said than for the poor pooch to continue putting weight on.

Maybe the owner could've done with a cup of water in her face !!!!
Well said! I like MM, he shoots from the hip and takes no prisoners - why should he be tactful when the stupid woman was not only putting his dog at huge risk of premature death, but diabetes and agonising rotting teeth! Good for him, I hope she took his advice.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Yes, I suppose they deserve to be punished and made to do thse exercises!

Re. the candy floss - that's just insane. Dogs don't stand much of a chance.

Sometimes they need to just be told though, instead of namby pambied - it's the only way to make some of them realise!

I agree. Just about the worst thing to feed to a dog I would think
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
No they came away because they have been trained a good recal, they are not comming away to get a treat - they didnt know they are getting anything - and very few dogs would find a tiny bit of kibble enough to want to come away from a frantic barking fit at the intruders outside the fence

You have to have trained the alternative behaviour really well so it is an automatic response before you ask them to do it at a really stimulating time

then if something nice happens when they do the new behaviour they begin to associate doing the behavior when they would normaly have barked as something nice, automatic and reinforcing

Its something alot of people mistake, training with rewards isnt a case of bribing a dog to do something, the reward is nice and so makes the dog more likely do do the thing again, and actually begins to enjoy doing the behaviour as much as getting the treat
With Ben, treats are definitely starting to have more significance. I don't really care whether I am bribing him or not, I stopped him very quickly barking at passing dogs, simply by calling him and rewarding him with a treat when he came to me. With Tai, it is far more tricky because he really is not interested in treats, even liver! I find my simple blocking technique works a treat (pardon the pun), and I see no problem with it.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >