View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Best collars for longhaired larger dogs?

Casper's collar is a regular 1" nylon collar and I've noticed the fur below it has been affected - don't mind the aesthetic side of it but it seems to be getting a bit knottier lately and I don't want it matting and causign him discomfort.
I know lots of people use the rolled leather collars to save longer fur on small dogs but I'm not keen on the idea of such a narrow collar on a dog as big as Casper. What do larger dog owners use and how effective do you fine it? The dogs are usually walked on a harness but OH has occasionally started take them out with just a collar for a trip "around the block", or if we head into the field for a wander then I don't bother with the harnesses, just take leads for "just incase", so I want something that would be OK to be used with a lead for short periods.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Benjie's fur isn't affected by his flat leather collar - it's thick too so he can't break it, however his fur isn't as long as Casper's...but it isn't short either.

I've had a google and I can't find anything..internet is rubbish these days..
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I had real trouble with Sam's leather collar matting the hair under his neck.
I swapped him to one of my beta ones in one inch and fitted it a little looser than his other one and had no trouble for the few months he wore it before he died, I think it's because the material is softer and more flexible than the leather.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:42 AM
What about a hound type collar, you can get these made with sheepskin lining or silk/ satin
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I used a leather rolled collar on my NI. He was walked on it and we had absolutely no problems at all

It is still hanging on the lead hooks as I cannot bring myself to move it
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I use to use a amartingale on Ollie I had the same trouble with the fur matting under his neck. He was always walked on a harness and indoors did not wear a collar unless we had visitors.

The collar when out was purely for his id tags it stopped the matting of the fur too.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Benjie's fur isn't affected by his flat leather collar - it's thick too so he can't break it, however his fur isn't as long as Casper's...but it isn't short either.

I've had a google and I can't find anything..internet is rubbish these days..
Hm, I may have an old leather one lying about I can try.

Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I had real trouble with Sam's leather collar matting the hair under his neck.
I swapped him to one of my beta ones in one inch and fitted it a little looser than his other one and had no trouble for the few months he wore it before he died, I think it's because the material is softer and more flexible than the leather.
The nylon one does fit slightly loose, not enough to get over his fat head (he doesn't have the typical slim white GSD head) but it's still breaking the hair. I think it's affecting how the fur below falls as the knots are starting just below the collar line

Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
What about a hound type collar, you can get these made with sheepskin lining or silk/ satin
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I use to use a amartingale on Ollie I had the same trouble with the fur matting under his neck. He was always walked on a harness and indoors did not wear a collar unless we had visitors.

The collar when out was purely for his id tags it stopped the matting of the fur too.
I did wonder about a martingale/houndy type collar but didn't know how safe they'd be with dogs that are very mouthy with each other. The grabbing by the collar that they used to do doesn't really seem to happen nowadays (they grab each other's cheek flab instead ) but I wouldnt want one to get a jaw stuck in there. Want a collar I can leave on during the day because my brother's girlfriend is a bit dippy at times and also with her and my brother having friends around at times when I may not be there, I want them to have ID on them just incase. Nothings happened yet but I'd hate to start to leave them without a collar and for them to escape with no visible ID!

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I used a leather rolled collar on my NI. He was walked on it and we had absolutely no problems at all

It is still hanging on the lead hooks as I cannot bring myself to move it
Did he pull much at all? Not that Casper does that much but with his reactivity I'd hate for him to pull towards a dog in the distance or have a lunging episode with just a thin rolled collar on. Maybe one for in the house with an easy to fit collar for walking would work, hm.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 11:26 AM
You can get lined hound collars made, not the martingale type
Satin lining is great for long/short coats as does not catch the hairs nor rub them
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I have a rolled leather collar for Kiba...I have 3 actually I go a bit mad buying collars. They are 1 inch wide leather that's been rolled and are really strong. I bought them from a lady I know who's just starting to try making a shop for them. I also started taking Kiba's collar off in the house as he also had the discolouration and broken hair.

She does rolled, straight and half checks
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
I have a rolled leather collar for Kiba...I have 3 actually I go a bit mad buying collars. They are 1 inch wide leather that's been rolled and are really strong. I bought them from a lady I know who's just starting to try making a shop for them. I also started taking Kiba's collar off in the house as he also had the discolouration and broken hair.

She does rolled, straight and half checks
Ooh, does she have a website or would she be willing to post them? I'd be interested, I like the colours (Casper has to have blue so he doesn't get called a girl )

A satin lined collar sounds very posh but not too sure it would stay that nice for very long with this dog..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >