Female 

15-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Interesting stuff, thanks for the replies
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by paulandfloyd View Post
It’s when a dog grips too hard, therefore causes indentations or damage to the carried item, i.e. game, canvas dummies. Some dogs are born with it, and can’t help it- there is no known cure for hard mouth. Sometimes you yourself can bring on hard mouth- by playing tug (rough housing) or letting them play with squeaky toys.

Hard mouth is a term used in the gundog world, and it’s very undesirable as it can devalue the game, and make a mess. Also if you partake in working gundog trails you may be disqualified, or lose points. A gundog that hard mouths will probably be sold to a pet home, or an advanced trainer who may try to elevate the problem, most likely with little success.
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Tuggy does not cause a hard mouth, lots of working gundogs I know play tuggy, but you don't want them to play it with a pheasant!

But squeakers are verboten........
Tuggy is such a misunderstood way of training a dog, it is used incredibly successfully by some of the top working trials trainers, whose dogs are expected to retrieve items without a mark, such as a plastic spoon. Out of my two who are both working trials trained, Indie has a hard mouth, Tau doesn't. It's more interesting with them being half sisters, so closely related, tuggy is a reward for them, and yet Tau will carry a raw egg, Indie will instantly eat it. Tau is much softer mouthed than Indie, and that is, has to be, genetic, for the main part, from what I can make out.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Actually whether or not a dog will hold a raw egg in its mouth is not necessarily an indicator of a soft or hard mouth............. IME
OK Mollie will bring a live wild rabbit to me and drop it unharmed, Duncan will bring it back but it will be dead and dripping in blood. Still think the egg was a nicer way to explain it.
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
OK Mollie will bring a live wild rabbit to me and drop it unharmed, Duncan will bring it back but it will be dead and dripping in blood. Still think the egg was a nicer way to explain it.

yum...
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
When a dog damages it's retrieve item, it's said to be hard mouthed. Not so important if it's a canvas dummy or tennis ball, but much more important if retrieving game, which may be wounded. Some believe it's genetic, and others believe it's all down to training, with quite a few believing it's a combination of both.
That has always been my take on the definition too

Oh and I like the raw egg analogy too, seems a perfectly logical way of explaining a hard mouth. One of our retrievers would break it and one wouldn't. The one that would break it was a rescue who had had no training and the one that wouldn't break it was taught from a puppy to take things gently and to hold things in his mouth, so were they hard and soft mouthed due to their make up or their training? I have no idea
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I have two dogs, one is hard mouthed (ie when he entered a scurry he brought back the dummy with holes in it) and the other is soft mouthed.

Both can carry raw eggs without a problem.

I think there are several factors in being hard mouthed:

genetics
training (or lack of)
equipment used (sometimes something that is too big, round, slippy, can make dogs bite down, or something that provides a reaction eg squeaky toy or rubber ball)
If a dog has caught live game and killed it to stop it struggling.............

TBF in WT most of us ask the dog to hold teeny items in the front of their mouths eg with their incisors in order to minimise swallowing, dropping and crunching.

You can't really hold a hare/pheasant/woodcock/dummy/ etc like this.......
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2