Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Would they be able to do anything in a case like this, where they are fed and watered and not actually ill treated?

It may be worth her giving them a ring to see what they say.....someone only needs to call by at any time of the day to see and hear the full extent of the problem.
I doubt they'll actually be able to do anything about the issue but there might be a chance they can get through to the owners and either shake them up a bit or persuade them to hand over the dogs?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:24 AM
I am very confused if you are concerned about the welfare of these dogs then why is doing nothing an option?

What makes you think that the welfare of these dogs would not be better served once EHO got involved?

I can see no logic in a choice to do nothing and meanwhile leave these dogs apparently at risk of poor health, and the potential of death by being run over if they escape not to mention the risk they apparently pose to OTHERS if they escape by causing accidents?

Very very odd, I wonder why you posted this in the first place?
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
What about Husky Rescue? They might be able to help? Poor dogs
Unfortunately there is little any of the husky welfare organisations can do unless one of two things happen. Either, the "authorities" (dog wardens, environmental health, housing dept) get involved and insist the dogs are rehomed or seize them under the Animal Welfare Act - in which case we could get involved; or the owners themselves decide that they want to relinquish their dogs to welfare. Apart from the RSPCA (which is worse than useless in many such cases) no animal welfare organisations have any legal power in such situations.

Mick
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I think your friend's only real option is to speak to Environmental Health and explain about the noise, the dirty conditions etc and that the dogs welfare is being compromised. If they get involved, the owners of the huskies will have to at least clean up their act, and stop their dogs making so much noise, and I heard of a similar case a few years ago where the dog owner was actually ordered by a court to rehome his dogs.

I think that is the only real option here. Although I completely agree that not exercising huskies is, at best, neglect!

I guess the only other possibility I can think of would be for the neighbours to get together and speak to the husky dogs owners and say they are no longer prepared to put up with witnessing the neglect, being disturbed by noise and smell etc and they could offer some Husky rescue details, otherwise EH will become involved.

Poor dogs
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am very confused if you are concerned about the welfare of these dogs then why is doing nothing an option?

What makes you think that the welfare of these dogs would not be better served once EHO got involved?

I can see no logic in a choice to do nothing and meanwhile leave these dogs apparently at risk of poor health, and the potential of death by being run over if they escape not to mention the risk they apparently pose to OTHERS if they escape by causing accidents?

Very very odd, I wonder why you posted this in the first place?
Please, please don't be so nasty about this thread - I am just trying to help an elderly friend who has no wish to antagonise her neighbour but who is looking for ways of helping the dogs and also stopping the constant howling. I did not know what to advise her, hence my post on here........fortunately others are trying to help without being so aggressive. I am wondering why you think that it is odd to want to find an answer for an old lady? THAT is why I posted. To be honest, a reply like yours is enough to turn me off Dogsey.

Originally Posted by MickB View Post
Unfortunately there is little any of the husky welfare organisations can do unless one of two things happen. Either, the "authorities" (dog wardens, environmental health, housing dept) get involved and insist the dogs are rehomed or seize them under the Animal Welfare Act - in which case we could get involved; or the owners themselves decide that they want to relinquish their dogs to welfare. Apart from the RSPCA (which is worse than useless in many such cases) no animal welfare organisations have any legal power in such situations.

Mick
So - the first course of action is definitely the EHO; thank you for clarifying the legalities, because from what you say after that then perhaps a Husky Welfare organisation could become involved. This is what we were unclear about. I totally agree about the RSPCA

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think your friend's only real option is to speak to Environmental Health and explain about the noise, the dirty conditions etc and that the dogs welfare is being compromised. If they get involved, the owners of the huskies will have to at least clean up their act, and stop their dogs making so much noise, and I heard of a similar case a few years ago where the dog owner was actually ordered by a court to rehome his dogs.

I think that is the only real option here. Although I completely agree that not exercising huskies is, at best, neglect!

I guess the only other possibility I can think of would be for the neighbours to get together and speak to the husky dogs owners and say they are no longer prepared to put up with witnessing the neglect, being disturbed by noise and smell etc and they could offer some Husky rescue details, otherwise EH will become involved.

Poor dogs
Thank you so much for your constructive reply. From all that has been posted it seems that going first to the EHO is the best option, and then hope that things progress satisfactorily from there. The collective neighbours have already spoken several times to the owners of the dogs, but nothing has changed, and in fact they have shown signs of becoming a little nasty about it all.

Just to clear up one point - there is no mess or smell, the problem is the incessant howling caused by being locked in their cage with no exercise to speak of.

I will let you know how things go.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post

Mick
I had a feeling there wouldn't be much you'd be able to do unless called in by the authorities or the owners At least if the owners/authorities are able to sort something out they might be able to call on you though
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I had a feeling there wouldn't be much you'd be able to do unless called in by the authorities or the owners At least if the owners/authorities are able to sort something out they might be able to call on you though
Yes - that is now clear to me, and thank you for your input. I have passed the information on to my friend. I really hope that not only can some peace be restored for her, but also that something can be done for the dogs.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Yes - that is now clear to me, and thank you for your input. I have passed the information on to my friend. I really hope that not only can some peace be restored for her, but also that something can be done for the dogs.
Fingers crossed something can be done for your neighbour and the dogs, let us know how it goes
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Please, please don't be so nasty about this thread - I am just trying to help an elderly friend who has no wish to antagonise her neighbour but who is looking for ways of helping the dogs and also stopping the constant howling. I did not know what to advise her, hence my post on here........fortunately others are trying to help without being so aggressive. I am wondering why you think that it is odd to want to find an answer for an old lady? THAT is why I posted. To be honest, a reply like yours is enough to turn me off Dogsey.

Er I am struggling to understand what is "nasty" about my post?!

I have given constructive advice on the correct course of action to take.

I am afraid there is nothing you can do in life that will not "antagonise" somebody as witnessed by your response to my advice!

Your friend cannot have her cake and eat it.

It is a case of put up or shut up, to be blunt!

It may be that you are not familiar with the way the EHO works, but they do not disclose the source of their information, much like the RSPCA etc. They investigate when a complaint is made to determine whether or not it is justified or malicious (yes people do make malicious calls) and then take appropriate action.

The welfare of these dogs can then be assured.

The welfare of the dogs will not change if your friend does nothing!

So if your friend fails to report a situation which she feels is a) compromising the welfare of the dogs and b) compromising her own health, then she will have to live with the consquences.

It is very simple really!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Am sorry Bitkin but have just read this and posted a thread yesterday about dogs barking at night, i wouldn't of if had read this first . I hope something sorts out in the best interest of all.
Apologies once again
H.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >