Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:32 PM

Huskys.........poor poor Huskys

I am not sure if this is the right place to put this, but a friend of mine is having huge problems with a neighbour who has several Huskys.

The dogs constantly howl........and there is a very good reason for this:

The owners work all day, and watch television at night. If the dogs are lucky, they get taken out for a "walk" four times a week - the rest of the time they are caged in the garden.

My friend, like her other neighbour, is a massive fan of dogs and has one of her own, so whilst she is driven nearly demented by the constant noise she is also extremely concerned about the welfare of these dogs.

The RSPCA of course are not remotely interested, but is there any organisation that she could contact, or any course of action that she could take? She has already spoken to the owners of the Huskys on several occasions, and whilst sometimes they have been concerned, mostly they have been rude and unsympathetic. The last time she spoke to them was because she was really worried that they were about to escape, as they were hurling themselves at the wire and also digging underneath it - the response was that it was my neighbour's fault for being in the garden (her own!) and upsetting them.

It seems to me that these poor dogs are very much in the wrong hands, but can anything at all be done about it??
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Im sure some one will be along with better advice, but if you have no joy with the rspca, what about contacting the local dog warden
WildAcre Rescue
New Member!
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:55 PM
If the dogs are left in a dirty environment, maybe the environmental health could help?

not sure, just a thought.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Environmental health re noise problems but then that may not help the poor dogs but she would have to do something to stop them howling like this. How cruel to get a very active breed like this and treat it so.
WildAcre Rescue
New Member!
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:01 PM
anoo, people will never stop amazing me what they think is acceptable
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Thank you everyone......I think that we have discounted the environmental health route, purely because they will not actually help the dogs. Yes, the noise is a huge problem, and it does need to be addressed, but the main issue is the welfare of these dogs.

Mcv.....would a dog warden act in the best interests of the dogs? I have no idea what their role is
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:03 PM
What about Husky Rescue? They might be able to help? Poor dogs
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
What about Husky Rescue? They might be able to help? Poor dogs
Would they be able to do anything in a case like this, where they are fed and watered and not actually ill treated?

It may be worth her giving them a ring to see what they say.....someone only needs to call by at any time of the day to see and hear the full extent of the problem.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:21 PM
The remedy is simple, if the dog's are causing noise pollution contact the EHO; if the dog's living conditions are causing a hygiene issue, contact the EHO.

As long as you have contacted the relevant people for the relevant problem then it will be dealt with, but first of all a problem has to be identified.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The remedy is simple, if the dog's are causing noise pollution contact the EHO; if the dog's living conditions are causing a hygiene issue, contact the EHO.

As long as you have contacted the relevant people for the relevant problem then it will be dealt with, but first of all a problem has to be identified.
Thank you - you may have a point but I am not sure that it is ever quite so simple when animals are at the centre of the issue.

Yes, my friend and her neighbours are being driven demented by the noise and they may well end up contacting environmental health. However, it is the welfare of the dogs that is also of great concern, and they rather wanted to deal with the matter by helping them in a more positive way. The trouble is, it is such a grey area as they are not being physically ill treated - although I would have thought that such active dogs being confined with little or no exercise should be classed as neglect at the very least.

Perhaps the best that can be hoped for is that the owners will become tired of the complaints from neighbours, and will get fed up of having to repair the cage. Then maybe the dogs will be rehomed somewhere better.

Thank you for the help.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >