Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Donna&Zuki
Who says it is unafraid of humans did it attack one? It is quite normal for foxes to be out in the day light because us as a human race have reduced them to it, by taking away the land they live on and by building houses next door to their homes.
Exactly
they have to adapt to survive
they aren't unafraid of humans because you couldn't approach one without scaring it away
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Though I do pick up on luke's very good point here - would you be so annoyed at having to 'dispose' of rats? I wouldn't... but then - they are my pets! I can see the distinction between wild animal and pet - and while in an ideal world it would be nice to just trap them and move them - it cannot be done all the time.

What are your thoughts on exterminating rats and mice etc? maybe a fox just appeals to you... I have some baby rats here that would appeal to even the hardest heart too though

xx
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
Though I do pick up on luke's very good point here - would you be so annoyed at having to 'dispose' of rats? I wouldn't... but then - they are my pets! I can see the distinction between wild animal and pet - and while in an ideal world it would be nice to just trap them and move them - it cannot be done all the time.

What are your thoughts on exterminating rats and mice etc? maybe a fox just appeals to you... I have some baby rats here that would appeal to even the hardest heart too though

xx
I remember when i was 10 and having a slight mouse problem in our house
my mum put poison down and i still remember a little mouse crawling on it's belly dying and 23 years on the image is still with me
we haven't had a mouse problem since but if we did i would use humane traps and take them away
to me a wild mouse is no different to a domestic rodent
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Jackie was afraid of this happening, bottom line is its her choice given her circumstances, her Chickens and family pets being killed in her vacinity.

what makes you an expert ??? maybe its way of having to survive
Said the person who didnt want to argue

However to answer your question, I have been involved with Fox control for the last 17yrs, I think I know by now what is natural behaviour for a Fox and what isnt, and this one is behaving very abnormally, it has an unatural calmness around humans, and to be out in daylight in a public area, like somebodys garden (who also have dogs!!!!!) killing pets it isnt acceptable.
Dawn.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:00 PM
agreed dawn.

No-one likes killing animals needlessly - but sometimes it has to be done - and then i don't class it needless at all. We have had to shoot many many dogs, foxes and cats who have come onto the farm land before - because they could kill our animals, and we could not afford for that to happen.

Nature red in tooth and claw.

xx
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Jackie was afraid of this happening, bottom line is its her choice given her circumstances, her Chickens and family pets being killed in her vacinity.

Said the person who didnt want to argue

However to answer your question, I have been involved with Fox control for the last 17yrs, I think I know by now what is natural behaviour for a Fox and what isnt, and this one is behaving very abnormally, it has an unatural calmness around humans, and to be out in daylight in a public area, like somebodys garden (who also have dogs!!!!!) killing pets it isnt acceptable.
Dawn.
as you seem to go on about it i only asked what made you an expert and now i no , if you have any sly comments on me ie the roll , then just say it im intiled to ask if there is a more humane way
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:06 PM

I don't think you need to be so defensive...

xx
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz

I don't think you need to be so defensive...

xx
im not all im saying is there surly could be a more hunmane way not all of us agree with shooting animals
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:10 PM
well - i don't believe there is a much more humane way in many circumstances.

xx

ETA - but again - it boils down to personal ethics and opinions and values.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Ellas mum,
Please dont send me PM's I have said everything I need to on here, I have politely answered your questions, when your post stated you did not want to argue, you then struck back with insults and "what makes you an expert"

What is your more humane way here? Dont tell me of capture and release, and ist ridiculous to pretend anyone would want a wild animal that is not afraid of humans, and now it appears dogs too, released on their land to prey on someone elses pets, so what would you suggest?
Dawn.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >