View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2008, 07:53 PM
I want a mosaic dally and a tricolour! and a lemon and a long haired one and a red rottie and a silver lab and a..... and a... Oh dear...

There should be a special club for all the mismarks and oddities and beauties
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Olly View Post
I think long hair on even the most feared breeds seems to give a more gentle appearence , i know it sounds like nonsence but i'd be interested to hear other opinions on this
absolutely!
this is my totally trustworthy and gentle shortcoat GSD who struck terror (apparently) into the hearts of the GP and grown men would cross the road to avoid us

and here is the blonde and fluffy madam who I wouldn`t trust as far as I can throw her, but who is greeted with squeals of delight and awwwww noises
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Ooo that long haired Dally is gorgeous.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2008, 10:43 PM
stunning dog i think
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by luvmysetters View Post
Alot of people who have never seen English Setters before confuse them for dalmation crosses since they both have spots. They both are born white and develop the spots as they get older. Your "long haired dalmation" has the traits of an English Setter or English setter mix.
It is cute.
I have to say that although they look similar, these long haired dalmatians are from registered litters where siblings were short coats. So they're not mixes (although I'm sure that if they were to become a victim of the 'it's rare so it's another £300' bandwagon then people would breed setter mixes and call them long coated dals).

I don't know much about setters, but dals don't develop spots as they get older. They have spots from birth, these are visible on their skin when born but once dry, their white coats cover them.

They're present on the skin from birth but need to grow through the coat, that's all.
Holly-Rosee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2008, 06:30 PM
unlike the other breeds on here long haired weimaraners are not classed as wrong they can be showen along side the smooth hair ,it just that they are rarer than the smooths and are the same dog just different coat type
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I have seen long coat Rotts, Corgis, Akitas, Mals and sibes.

I can't speak for the other breeds mentioned in other posts but long coats are a serious fault in Sibes. The coat type mentioned in the breed standard is not purely cosmetic but it is there for a good reason. The coat in a long coated Siberian is silky and does not have the harsher waterproof guard hairs. A long coated Sibe would get wet to the skin or the silky hair would gather up snow when they lived in their natural environment, a long coated Sibe wouldn't survive. I would imaging a long coated Malamute would suffer the same fate in an Alaskan winter.

They do look cute though, but sadly some breeders breed for this as one of their selling points
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Is it just me or does that first link bring up what appears to be an Italian dating agency or something???!!!
brindlebaby
New Member!
Female 

29-12-2008, 04:38 PM
better than a short haired.
My sister has got the usual short haired dally and i have never seen a dog that sheds so much hair.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Is it just me or does that first link bring up what appears to be an Italian dating agency or something???!!!
Link still works okay for me...page is about different coloured Dalmatians.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >