Female 

28-03-2006, 03:27 PM
(getting carried away now..!)

Long haired rottie:

BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 03:38 PM
wow, that long haired mastiff is gorgeous!

So what made these breeds become short haired only? Was there a reason or did it just turn out that way?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Bodhi,

I think most die hard dally fans (such as I ) would actually tell you they liked long haireds too.

The long haired is a fault yes, but it is still a dal, there is nothing different apart from it's coat.

They still have the dally temperament, the dally charm, dally obedience skills ( ) and intelligence, the exercise requirements and the same inbred horsey instinct.

I love long haired dallies, think they look sweet and, although I don't know I think it would probably mean you could have a dal but irradicate some of that awful shedding! Dals shed because of how short and course their coats are, a long haired dal has a much softer, silkier coat so it shouldn't shed as badly.

There are varying lenghts of dally coats, I've seen one that was still only a normal coat, but it was longer than most dals coats if you know what I mean, it had a look to it that was longer and fluffier almost. He was a lovely looking dog and was competing at DOTY (Dalmatian of the Year) competition so it's only the 'proper' long haired dals that aren't accepted.

It's like a blue eye, blue eyed dallies are still much loved dallies and it's only the snooty judges/kennel club people that would tell you it's undesirable. Even then a judge would probably like a blue eye/long haired dal just as much but be unable to judge it due to the breed standard!

So don't worry - we ALL think they're lovely!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 03:39 PM
It is just selective breeding... They do not meet "the standard" (said in a booming voice).

I wonder what other wonderful variations have been made extinct by selective breeding? Seems a shame to me...
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
wow, that long haired mastiff is gorgeous!

So what made these breeds become short haired only? Was there a reason or did it just turn out that way?
The long haired gene is recessive and so it is uncommon for the long haired coats to come out, when they do, they are not bred from.

For instance, the dally's short coat is an asset to it due to it's job, I suspect it's the same with other breeds.
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 03:43 PM
i think all the long haired,, short haired breeds you have shown pics of are stunning, and very different which is why i think they are gorgeous,, and the red rottie, well adorable if ya ask me
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 03:44 PM
You can get Long coated malamutes too.. They are gorgeous but of course DON'T MEET THE STANDARD (does anyone nowadays!!!)

If you look for Mo or my threads on the pic forum there are pictures of Nanook or Yogi.. both longcoated, both sweethearts, both Mals, and both stunningly gorgeous.. (not particularly bothered about the standard bit)
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi
I wonder what other wonderful variations have been made extinct by selective breeding? Seems a shame to me...

Have you seen the other colours of dallies?

There are some great colours of dallies you can get, you can have black and liver (obviously), brindle spots, tricoloured dals (black, brown and white), blue spots, lemon spots, or simply white dals (can't remember what they're called now).

There are some great colour variations but they are just not accepted, personally I think blues are lovely!

Forgot - there are also patches, these are not uncommon but are not accepted by the KC, my sister loves patch dallies!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »