View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 05:48 PM
I note that you say you have only taken him out on the roads............

This does not tell you what he is like when he hits the open countryside, have you tried him at a canter in this environment?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I took him around a field for a quick canter and he was fine
tipsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Ah he is gorgeous! Sounds ideal with your friend being very savvy and experienced too... hope you both enjoy him very much xxx
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 08:01 PM
He's lush isn't he?

Best of luck with him, I'm only a tiny bit jealous.....
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 07:27 AM
He looks lovely and I can imagine he will look really stunning when he's fitter. You also look great on him.
As mentioned earlier I would be a little wary the fact that he is wearing a Dutch Gag on the harshest setting, quite a 'lot of gear' for a horse that is coming back in to work and presumably will mainly be doing walking and trotting. Also that is why his brakes will be so good

He looks fab and I hope it all gets sorted for you to take him over and I can't wait to see more photos
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Just another quick note, the saddle cloth is halfway under the saddle (if you look at the back) and that seam being under the back of the saddle will create pressure, just watch that in future!

As the others have said, he could do with a diet and exercise plan and that is a strong bit, I used to ride an 18 year old ex-intermediate eventer and I only used a gag on the bottom ring for xc or hunting. Most of the time I would hack him out in a snaffle and school in a snaffle though as the gag is a harsh bit (and I'm not a huge fan of them used that way, would rather something with two reins so you can used the snaffle or apply poll pressure with a gag/pelham action).

18 is deffo NOT old these days! The above mentioned 18 year old is now 24 and still competing in tent pegging!

You really can't go wrong with a retired eventer, they do know their stuff! Can be strong but on the whole they can teach you a lot!
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2012, 06:48 PM
He is nice! Needs to get some work though to get rid of that grass belly! And yeah as others have said already the dutch gag is super harsh! I had one for my ex-hunt master as he had no brakes at all as soon as his feet touched grass, but I always rode with double reins in it, main rein on the big O ring, second down on the middle and that was enough to stop him. With work and soft hands you can get him back down to a snaffle (got mine going nicely in a drop cheek in the end even while out going cross country) 18 isn't old at all these days, I had one still going strong at 26, made it to the Northwest Championships on him and the judge stopped me at the gate thinking I was coming in the wrong ring, say oh no this is the veteran class! lol
Have loads of fun with him, as you have an experienced friend helping I say go for it and make sure you keep posting loads of pictures of the sexy man!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 10:40 PM
RE the dutch gag if that's what the owners ride in don't go changing it! Rather a strong bit and quiet hands than a snaffle in harsh hands.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5