Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I think you need to keep telling yourself that tbh but it's something we can easily settle - given the choice of having to wear something that works like a halti (for humans) or a prong collar, which would you choose?

In fact I'll challenge you - I'll wear a halti-for-humans if you wear a prong collar, and we get to take each other out for a 'walk' and to a 'training session' and use both like they are often used on dogs.
Fair enough, I'd accept that, a prong would teach compliance much quicker than a halti, which just keeps on putting that uncomfortable pressure on walk after walk, how many folks complain their dogs just don't like wearing them?

Don't agree with either, but one works much quicker than the other that's for sure, I do agree with positive training methods, and neither haltis or prong/pinch collars constitute a positve training method for me.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Keep telling yourself that, in all honesty, they were, they work because your dog can't pull against the pressure, why is that, if the word uncomfortable is easier, great, painful is honestly more accurate

No, harnesses and collars are not easier, I've always found it's easier off lead than on tbh. However, when you've got a great dane and an 80 year old woman scenario, there are management issues, and the person I would suggest people look at for articles is someone called Lizi Angel, she knows her stuff and can recommend harnesses and head collars that don't work by causing pressure and pain.
They all cause pressure to some degree. Some are better than others and some suit some dogs better than others.

I would agree that it's easier to start a dog off off-lead, but this, of course isn't always practical for every dog owner other than in a very limited way. We have to make compromises, unfortunately, but I would rather compromise with equipment that causes the least discomfort.

Items that have been developed purely and simply for the human half of the lead to apply pain in the name of training should have no place in any trainer's or owner's tool box
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by FairyToes View Post
I so agree with you. I do not enjoy goofy, undisciplined dogs, especially BIG dogs with no manners. Too many people have very low standards for their dogs, thinking their dogs are just too cute and special to require any training. I have never hit or yelled at my dogs, but I expect them to mind me, and if using a prong collar on a large dog with fear-based aggression problems towards other dogs is what I need to do, then I don't have a problem with it. I know how to use one properly so the dog is not harmed.
imo thats probably one of the worse case scenarios to use one in
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
They all cause pressure to some degree. Some are better than others and some suit some dogs better than others.

I would agree that it's easier to start a dog off off-lead, but this, of course isn't always practical for every dog owner other than in a very limited way. We have to make compromises, unfortunately, but I would rather compromise with equipment that causes the least discomfort.

Items that have been developed purely and simply for the human half of the lead to apply pain in the name of training should have no place in any trainer's or owner's tool box
So you agree to train your dogs to some degree of discomfort where it suits you, or that it's acceptable for others?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Fair enough, I'd accept that, a prong would teach compliance much quicker than a halti, which just keeps on putting that uncomfortable pressure on walk after walk, how many folks complain their dogs just don't like wearing them?

Don't agree with either, but one works much quicker than the other that's for sure, I do agree with positive training methods, and neither haltis or prong/pinch collars constitute a positve training method for me.
Well that's another problem altogether - people not learning how to train their dogs (and I hope you're not suggesting that idiot owners should be given a license to abuse their dogs - just because they're too lazy to learn how to train properly I've got a better idea - don't get a dog if you can't be bothered to put the time and effort in).
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Exactly! Ban bad training, or handling!
I don't think my training or handling is that bad but I use a harness on Benj.

Having had 4 years of either total freedom or pulling his owners around it is my choice to get him to and from his free running area by using a no pull harness.

Had I the option and opportunity to rehome him to a wondeful single dog home who could cope with his traffic chasing and lack of lead training and who had unlimited time to take to train him to walk nicely on a lead before he had a run, I might have done so. That wasn't going to happen.

I am quite sure that I could put a prong collar on him and he would walk with me----because it would hurt him so much he would have no choice. As it is he doesn't walk that well but I don't have my arm pulled out and slowly he is learning.

So I'd appreciate it if those who are sitting on little clouds wearing halos and suggesting that all problems stem from the bad training of the present owners took a minute to think before they make such generalised comments.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by FairyToes View Post
I don't think most of you understand that prong collars do not inflict pain unless the handler doesn't know what they are doing. Properly adjusted high on the neck, the prongs are only active when the dog pulls and thus corrects himself. These collars are actually less harmful than the more commonly used choke chain collar. For a big aggressive dog, it is kinder to have some restraint that the dog does not even associate with the handler. I advise you do some more research before jumping to these wild conclusions regarding prong collars.
Of course they cause pain---and higher up the neck is worse. How do you think they work if they don't cause pain?

rune
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Well that's another problem altogether - people not learning how to train their dogs (and I hope you're not suggesting that idiot owners should be given a license to abuse their dogs - just because they're too lazy to learn how to train properly I've got a better idea - don't get a dog if you can't be bothered to put the time and effort in).
No, I'm suggesting people don't hide behind the gimmicks sold with many training devices that are apparently harmless. Those nasty prong collars look bad, but how many dogs do you see wearing ill fitting head collars and harnesses as opposed to pinch/prong collars?

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't think my training or handling is that bad but I use a harness on Benj.

Having had 4 years of either total freedom or pulling his owners around it is my choice to get him to and from his free running area by using a no pull harness.

Had I the option and opportunity to rehome him to a wondeful single dog home who could cope with his traffic chasing and lack of lead training and who had unlimited time to take to train him to walk nicely on a lead before he had a run, I might have done so. That wasn't going to happen.

I am quite sure that I could put a prong collar on him and he would walk with me----because it would hurt him so much he would have no choice. As it is he doesn't walk that well but I don't have my arm pulled out and slowly he is learning.

So I'd appreciate it if those who are sitting on little clouds wearing halos and suggesting that all problems stem from the bad training of the present owners took a minute to think before they make such generalised comments.

rune
Lol,. I take it you mean ME, sat on my little cloud here. Ger a life, and stop making things up about me, if you want to discuss something do, but please don't patronise me.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:52 PM
If the cap fits.....

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Of course they cause pain---and higher up the neck is worse. How do you think they work if they don't cause pain?

rune
why have the 'prongs' in the first place if they didnt... unless its some weird 'vulcan' pressure points that are used
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »