Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by walkiespetcare View Post
I have two horses that I compete at high level most weekends, the dogs come with me! They love it!

I am also a single parent with two teenage children, one rides the horses the other is out with his friends.

Yes it all very time consuming but its my life and what I have known for the last 25 yrs so couldnt do without
It is obvious your horses are your passion

I am relatively new to horses - I have always been mad about dogs
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Very sorry to see this. I know eactly how you feel.

I had horses and dogs all my life. In the last few years the dogs took over more and we started competing with them. I decided to rehome my horse a while ago as we were spending every weekend away training and competing with the dogs. My horse wasn't getting the time that she deserved.

I was very upset but I know it was the right thing to do. I went to see my horse in her new home and she was very happy in a lovely field with her new friend.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
Very sorry to see this. I know eactly how you feel.

I had horses and dogs all my life. In the last few years the dogs took over more and we started competing with them. I decided to rehome my horse a while ago as we were spending every weekend away training and competing with the dogs. My horse wasn't getting the time that she deserved.

I was very upset but I know it was the right thing to do. I went to see my horse in her new home and she was very happy in a lovely field with her new friend.
Thanks Abbie. It is nice to hear that your horse has found a great new home, and friend It is so difficult to give them up, isn't it I love my horse, but I really don't feel she is getting the time and devotion she deserves right now. If I could see things changing (time-wise) in the near-ish future, then I would hang on in there, but I can't see anything changing for at least the next two years. It just wouldn't be fair on her.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I gave up my Horse for Dogs. I was seriously Horsey first, Got into dogs to accompany & fell hook line & sinker, Neither getting enough attention (although i had no kids i was working full time) Anyway then came the foot & mouth all shows cancelled. I missed the dogshows more than the the Showjumping & the rest is history.

It is a shame kirsty & i do regreat it sometimes
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I gave up my Horse for Dogs. I was seriously Horsey first, Got into dogs to accompany & fell hook line & sinker, Neither getting enough attention (although i had no kids i was working full time) Anyway then came the foot & mouth all shows cancelled. I missed the dogshows more than the the Showjumping & the rest is history.

It is a shame kirsty & i do regreat it sometimes
It is one of my biggest worries that I live to regret this decision

You should never regret it though Mish - I have seen your fabulous showjumping photos, and it looks as though you had an absolute ball. However, when I see pics of you working your dogs in obedience - wow, it is what you were made for

Seriously though, it is so hard to give up one for the other - but I have always been a dog person, and I can't see that changing. I love my horse to bits - but if I had to choose between the two, then the dogs would win every time. Now if only I hadn't had a child .... Just joking. I also help OH on the farm (more and more as he has no help since the last shepherd left) and also try to give as much time as possible to GSD Rescue. Hence my title, something has to give, and I feel that the only right thing to do would be to make sure Marilla finds a brilliant new home and that I get to see her when I can.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Why dont you put her in Foal? it will give her more company & something to do?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Aw sorry to hear you've had to make such a hard decision, but well done xx

I gave up horses at 18 to get a 'career'.

(I wish I never did, I wish I had the horsey lifestyle and just an average £15,000p.a job!)

I can totally see where you're coming from though, horses are a lifestyle, they take over and sort of have to become your life, I know I as yet have never had the time either to fit them in with work and dogs and I don't even have children yet, or a farm - my garden is the size of your chicken run I imagine, infact, probably smaller!!

Good luck pretty mare xxxxxx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Have you considered having a horse-share? That could keep at least one for you to ride when you had time, and you can both share the care?
I haven`t been on a horse for nearly 40 years. But tbh the dogs are now my first love.
this is me

oh, getting up at 5 to plait manes and wash tails, spending hours burnishing bits and polishing boots... you`ll miss it, you know.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Why dont you put her in Foal? it will give her more company & something to do?
This was something I fleetingly considered, but I can only see it creating more problems tbh - as I would still need more time to spend with her, and I would end up with another horse that I couldn't bear to part with.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Aw sorry to hear you've had to make such a hard decision, but well done xx

I gave up horses at 18 to get a 'career'.

(I wish I never did, I wish I had the horsey lifestyle and just an average £15,000p.a job!)

I can totally see where you're coming from though, horses are a lifestyle, they take over and sort of have to become your life, I know I as yet have never had the time either to fit them in with work and dogs and I don't even have children yet, or a farm - my garden is the size of your chicken run I imagine, infact, probably smaller!!

Good luck pretty mare xxxxxx
I think that kind of sums it up Lucy - horses ARE a lifestyle (if you are to look after them properly anyway )... and my dogs are already practically a full time job without adding in Ben's needs, helping on the farm, GSD Rescue work etc!

I do feel I am doing the best for the horses, but it just hurts.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »