Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
I only have a small flock (not like Moobli) 10 sheep, we are really dairy, but I just find lambing time really stressfull. So far I have 1 female lamb born with no probs, the second lambing was a nightmare twins one very large all mixed up inside, we lost the bigger one but luckly mum and tiny are doing ok this morning. And I have one sheep down with a hernia.
Still when I let first mum and baby out this morning it was so nice to see her sproinging (sp) in the morning sun
I just help hubby now, who has been a shepherd for the best part of his life, and so even though there are definite stresses and disasters he is the main one to deal with them. However, next year I will have my own flock of pedigree Swales ... so no doubt I will find it a more trying time then - as you want everything to live and do well, and it doesn't always work like that - esp where sheep are concerned!

Sorry to hear you lost your twin Great mum and other lamb are doing well. What breed do you keep?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
We have lambing live over our cornish hedge!

Also a regular gun patrol as lambs are being taken by foxes----or so it seems.

I love it when they start to go round in clumps and dance.

rune
I would have thought most of the Cornish bred lambs would be pretty big by now? What time of year do your farmers start down there Rune? I would guess around Jan?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Moobli can I come and live with you??

DD and SLB we should all live together on our farm I hated my childhood and being on the farm gave me a way to escape it all. I even did a spot of sheep showing

My children love to hear my stories and my eldest would love to be on a farm. I had 2 lovely goats to look after, besides my own, and it was my job to milk the nanny every morning.

I remember one incident when we were dipping them when a rather fiesty sheep decided to make a break for it and I got a full blow body slam as it jumped, I went flying

I was very lucky as the farmer was the son of the Lady (literally) that my parents were Butler and Housekeeper for. So he didn't mind me following him around and let me be really hands on, I got to inject them and shear them and even pull some lambs out. He even let me drive the tractor
Yes - that would be perfect Louie could learn that geese and other birds are not friends! Mace could do a spot of sheep herding and the cresties can keep the lambs warm And Ozzy can do his whining thing

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
We could always do with extra hands at lambing time SLB Also, Kendal is where I was born and I spent the first 20 years of my life in a small town close by. My grandparents were farmers in Ireland and I think that is where I get my deep love of the countryside and farming from. I think it is in the blood.

LOL Pilgrim.

It is great you have the stories to share with your children because, even though they aren't getting to grow up on a farm themselves, they will learn so much through your stories and your clear enthusiasm and love for that way of life.
Count me in for next year then I used to work on a farm, only two weeks for experience but they had chickens, goats, pigs and dogs - no sheep..
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Awe the lambs are sooo cute! I grew up in Cattle Country (Alberta Beef Baby!!!) and so grew up with Calves not Lambs, but neighbours of my Grandma's (about 10 miles away) had a hobby farm and flock... I was always so facinated by the lambs! they also had peacocks! But nothing cuter than a baby Hereford, IMO! I spent alot of time with a purebred herd of Herefords!

I remember one calf that was born with crooked legs, so was in the barn with splints on, we got to play with him whenever we wanted, his Momma was perfectly ok with that.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 07:25 AM
I have Suffolks Moobli , I like the look of your Black faces though havent seen them over here and the Swales look really interesting as well.
The swiss normande which is where I am isnt really good sheep country so there arent many flocks around mainly all cows.

I am now having to bottle feed tiny as she hasnt got enough suck to get milk from mum (we are milking mum and tiny is still with her) hopefully in a couple of days she will get there.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
I have Suffolks Moobli , I like the look of your Black faces though havent seen them over here and the Swales look really interesting as well.
The swiss normande which is where I am isnt really good sheep country so there arent many flocks around mainly all cows.

I am now having to bottle feed tiny as she hasnt got enough suck to get milk from mum (we are milking mum and tiny is still with her) hopefully in a couple of days she will get there.
My father in law has Suffolks, and we will be inheriting those as well when he retires I like Suffolks, but not sure how they will cope with living in upland Scotland They will have to be pampered a bit more than the Blackies and Swales I think

Aww shame about the tiny lamb - hope she survives.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Did anyone see last nights when they had the Border Collie out with the sheep? That has to be the weirdest BC I've ever seen in my life and I've seen a fair few!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks, she is doing OK today
We do get it quite cold here in the winters -12 often and maybe as cold as -18 and the Suffolks have stayed out in all the snow the last two winters, so they ar'nt too bad but they (or at least mine ) do seem to have problems lambing. A friend of mine kept a few sheep (mixed race) for about 10 years and never once did she have to help, me every year so far .
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Did anyone see last nights when they had the Border Collie out with the sheep? That has to be the weirdest BC I've ever seen in my life and I've seen a fair few!
There are a few collies that look a bit like the dog on the LL programme, which all go back to quite a famous Lake District dog. Not my cup of tea at all ... looks or working "ability/potential"
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 08:16 PM
aw I liked the wee collie - another good one tonight was good to learn about the wool and see the cow having the c-section!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >