View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 12:41 PM
I am glad if vets say something about weight but wish they would all realise that coat makes a difference, Took my lad to the vets & he commented on his being too thin & when we weighed him I realised I had thinned him down too much from when he was overweight & now he's just right but I was told by another vet that my bitch was overweight but when I weighed her she was right. Did nothing but took her back when she was back in full coat & the vet was happy she was now correct weight but on the scales she was exactly the same weight as before.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
I am glad if vets say something about weight but wish they would all realise that coat makes a difference, Took my lad to the vets & he commented on his being too thin & when we weighed him I realised I had thinned him down too much from when he was overweight & now he's just right but I was told by another vet that my bitch was overweight but when I weighed her she was right. Did nothing but took her back when she was back in full coat & the vet was happy she was now correct weight but on the scales she was exactly the same weight as before.
coat shouldnt make any difference.. the scales are a guideline only.. weight should be monitored by touch.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
very rarely does that happen.
.. my old lurcher was on 25mg a day..... wasnt his liver that got him

.. try giving 3 or 4 smaller meals but try not to let him put the weight on...its cruel to be kind.....i really dont get people that make excuses soz
Only saying what my vet told me when we elected steroids over more tests. Glad to hear it may not be true as we have felt guilt at not being able to afford the tests.

Duncan isn't huge BTW just harder to get the wieght off him than off Mollie my MS doesn't help as long walks are a thing of the past these days. And no that isn't an excuse it is a reason.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
.... i have 25mg per day!!!! my Tupac acts worse than a dog on steroids (btw i do know been a vn for nearly 19years)
Quite possibly but you haven't got a Duncan with big eyes and a slight perchance for Kleptomania
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Julie1962 View Post
Only saying what my vet told me when we elected steroids over more tests. Glad to hear it may not be true as we have felt guilt at not being able to afford the tests.

Duncan isn't huge BTW just harder to get the wieght off him than off Mollie my MS doesn't help as long walks are a thing of the past these days. And no that isn't an excuse it is a reason.
its best to check renal parameters as well anyway..there is also non drug support that can help if the parameters are creeping up...... could you not afford 6 monthly? you would only really need to test biochem (and not even a whole profile) rather than a full on blood tests.(unless vet had other concerns)

...lots of little walks would help,and take his mind off food
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear it was the further allergy testing we couldn't afford we had already spent £300 and on NMW that is quite hard to find.

If I could do the lots of little walks honestly he would be getting them - somedays it's as much as I can do to get down the stairs.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I think exercise makes a big difference.
If you look at the history of a lot of modern popular pets they would have been out working (running about) all day and only fed one meal a day of relativly low quality food.
Now its reversed.

Adam
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I think exercise makes a big difference.
If you look at the history of a lot of modern popular pets they would have been out working (running about) all day and only fed one meal a day of relativly low quality food.
Now its reversed.

Adam
no, again another excuse .... less exercise, less food its not rocket science.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Julie1962 View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear it was the further allergy testing we couldn't afford we had already spent £300 and on NMW that is quite hard to find.

If I could do the lots of little walks honestly he would be getting them - somedays it's as much as I can do to get down the stairs.
..... xxx
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote-coat shouldnt make any difference.. the scales are a guideline only.. weight should be monitored by touch.

Maybe but when my bitch moults she has no undercoat & less topcoat & her ribs are just visible & easy to feel, as soon as she is back in full coat her ribs are as the standard says shadow just visible in the sunlight & they are much less easy to feel because of her dense undercoat. If I put flesh on her when she is out of coat she looks & feels overweight when she is back in coat.
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »