Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by BarbaraM View Post
Here in Scotland, docking is not allowed at all.

As far as I am aware - if you can document that at least one of your pups is going to a working home, the whole litter can be docked.

The best place to find the definitive answer is the DEFRA website
This is how I undertstand it also. Ridiculous rule as there's no way in hell you can tell which ones will be good workers at 3 days old!

Oscar (HWV) was left with a full tail, however there is a real possibility he will have to undergo an operation to have his tail amputated as he's forever splitting it open, poor boy. I'm quickly tiring of clean blood off the walls too.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 11:29 PM
The exemption allows certain types of working dog to have their tails docked by a veterinary surgeon. The dog has to be no more than 5 days old and the veterinary surgeon must certify that he or she has seen evidence that the dog is likely to work in one of the specified areas.
What kind of working dogs can be docked?

Any spaniel, terrier, hunt point retrieve breed or their crosses can be docked(as long as the necessary evidence indicating that they are likely to work is produced).

What kind of evidence do I need to prove that my dog will work in order to have it docked?

The puppy must be presented with the dam, and a statement provided by the owner (or the owner’s representative) that the dog is intended to work in one of
the specified areas. Additional evidence related to the particular type of work the dog will perform is also required. This is detailed in the regulations.
The certificate that is completed by the breeder & the vet can be viewed here

Removal of front or rear dew claws before the age of five days by a lay person is still permitted
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2010, 06:16 AM
A little off topic maybe, but we have one docked dog and one undocked, when the law regarding docking was first introduced I admit that I never thought I would ever get used to seeing my breed with their tail. However, three years on I now love to see them with a tail and am glad that that the docking law was introduced.

What does annoy me though is that there are still people out there that, even though they have no intention of ever working their dogs, believe they should still be docked because they are in the 'working group' As such dogs were I know recently still being legally docked in Ireland to supply these muppets with their 'docked' dog.
As for the dew claws, yep its legal and imo the earlier they are removed the better!
DT
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
A little off topic maybe, but we have one docked dog and one undocked, when the law regarding docking was first introduced I admit that I never thought I would ever get used to seeing my breed with their tail. However, three years on I now love to see them with a tail and am glad that that the docking law was introduced.

What does annoy me though is that there are still people out there that, even though they have no intention of ever working their dogs, believe they should still be docked because they are in the 'working group' As such dogs were I know recently still being legally docked in Ireland to supply these muppets with their 'docked' dog.
As for the dew claws, yep its legal and imo the earlier they are removed the better!
DT
See I also have I Weimaraner (can never spell it sorry ) that comes in regularly, he is just over 1 year old and is also docked. The owners again have no intention whatsoever of working him or showing him. Same with the GSP.

I just wonder why someone would fabricate their pups going to working homes just to have the tail docked when they surely aren't going to have that much contact with the dog afterwards...
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I did see on a lovely 'pet homing' website a litter of working cockers, all docked and they were being advertised to either working or pet homes...
Jamie is having a tail amputation for medical reasons and I know any dog can have their dew claws removed, as our last setter nearly had that done as she kept catching them.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm only curious because I have a 1 year old German Shorthaired Pointer in with me at the moment who has tail docked and dew claws off and there was never any intention of him being worked.
When you dock a litter of puppies, there is no way on this earth at that age you can tell which will make a working dog and which wont. When they are 7/8 weeks their conformation and character will have developed enough for the breeder to make a choice. Thats why the whole litter is docked.
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
See I also have I Weimaraner (can never spell it sorry ) that comes in regularly, he is just over 1 year old and is also docked. The owners again have no intention whatsoever of working him or showing him. Same with the GSP.

I just wonder why someone would fabricate their pups going to working homes just to have the tail docked when they surely aren't going to have that much contact with the dog afterwards...
Just me view! but there are those who seem to think there is a kudos attached to having something that is now 'difficult' to obtain.

M eldest is nine years old, he is docked, but badly so in so much that he does have difficulty sitting directly on the floor - he seems to squat! We also had a rescue a couple of years back who was docked terribly, My four year old (who died in 200 was nicely docked! But still I love my youngsters tail!!! That said it's like a whip and she has done a fair bit of damage to household contents with it, and you cannot leave a drink on a coffee table else it ends up on the floor!
DT

ps you spelt it right!!!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 12:08 PM
As others have said, there is no way at 3 days old you can tell which pups will be suitable for working and which are more suitable as pets. You will generally find that a breeder who works the dam will normally wish for their pups to go to working homes so the whole litter will be docked. They wont normally leave a tail on unless somebody specifically requests it and pays at least a deposit upfront (and picks their pup of course).

Me personally, I wouldn't look at a traditionally docked gundog with a tail left on. I also believe that for those docked dogs who genuinely work, the law should be revised so that they can be shown. There are dual purpose kennels out there so what do they do? Leave tails on and the dog suffers in the field or take the tail off and a pup with show quality cannot be shown. It's a ridiculous law IMO.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
As others have said, there is no way at 3 days old you can tell which pups will be suitable for working and which are more suitable as pets. You will generally find that a breeder who works the dam will normally wish for their pups to go to working homes so the whole litter will be docked. They wont normally leave a tail on unless somebody specifically requests it and pays at least a deposit upfront (and picks their pup of course).

Me personally, I wouldn't look at a traditionally docked gundog with a tail left on. I also believe that for those docked dogs who genuinely work, the law should be revised so that they can be shown. There are dual purpose kennels out there so what do they do? Leave tails on and the dog suffers in the field or take the tail off and a pup with show quality cannot be shown. It's a ridiculous law IMO.

I think that's a really good point. Why shouldn't you be able to show a dog that is worked and docked for that purpose? It does seem daft.

With regard to dewclaws, I see no reason to routinely remove them. My Estrelas have rear dewclaws also and I like them. They never cause any problems or get caught on anything and they are very active dogs.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post

Although I totally agree with this, you tend to find you can show a docked dog at most shows these days as most of them have put the entrance fee, if it was applicable, onto the car park instead. Meaning docked dogs can be legally shown.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »