Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Have you thought about a Connemara? My daughter had one that was 13.2 hh, but they do come up bigger. He was a fabulous pony that could jump out of his skin. I have attached a photo of a photo, but you can see what he's like.

I haven't really considered a Connemara, but your daughter's pony does look lovely. Thanks, I will have a look into the breed.

Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
we had a Welsh sec A and a Welsh sec B and 2 Shetlands I will have to route out pics tho.
Thanks Liver. They would all be too small for me, but a Welsh Section A or B would probably be suitable for the children.

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
sec Ds are Lush! Abt more Oomph than a highland!
Thanks Mish. I do REALLY like the Welsh Sec Ds, especially black ones!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
was going to say Connemara also, I have a 14'3-15hh one he is a total gent, fab stable manners and manners allround, jumps like a stag, really comfortable to ride, brilliant all round he a lovely chap, is as forward going or as relaxed as you want him to be and have seen 15'2hh plus ones.

My lil sis has a new forest x welsh plus maybe something else in her shes 13'2hh and a bit of a madam our farrier calls her a ginger tart...

Then there's Molly Fell x tb shes got her own little ways and can be a bit stroppy you have to be quite matter of fact her.

We also have a coloured cob but shes not mine and has not been schooled properly so you have to do all the work for her.

Good luck looking I found it really worth taking time and being picky about what you want as my con Polo is so lovely IMO.
Might try and put a couple of pics up later.
Would love to see pics of your Connemara. He sounds fab and about the right sort of height for what I will be looking for too. Are they quite hardy? As I think I said before, the individual pony is going to be more important than the breed, but it really is exciting and interesting looking into the different types and pros and cons of such.

Thanks for your input. It all helps.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
DITO, we have a connemara at the farm, its Alannas which she does jumping on, great ponys,

some vid of polly when she first came, {just starting her schooling, she was not broken when we got her.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...emixz152-1.flv
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...uremixz144.flv

polly, Im sure shes 14.3hh? so shes a decent enough size

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Unfortunately I can't watch the videos Shona, but love the Conn in the photo, she looks gorgeous.

In your opinion, does the Connemara have the edge over other natives?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
I used to own a Welsh Cob section D, amazing horse, she stood only 14.2hh, but had the heart of Shire she was bomb proof and took everything in her stride She could be a bit mare-ish at times, and when she was in season was everything they say about Chestnut mares as well

A friend also had a Section D, but he was lighter boned and stood 15.2hh, he was a bit more skittish and not quite as brainey, but that was probably just him

Unfortunately when my marriage broke down I had to sell her well it was either that or sell the kids

Here's a couple of pics when she was younger, I don't have any of her when she was fully grown

Two weeks old with her mum Taffy

At 1 year old
Your Welsh Cob was gorgeous, and you can already see the potential of her in those early photos. What a shame you had to sell her
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I love Connemaras , one of the reasons I did not mention them is because most of the ones I have known are far more suited to competitions homes..

They are amazing jumpers, bold as brass, and have a zest for competing.

You will see a lot of them on the junior SJ circuit.

Many of the "sport horses" that come over from Ireland will have connemara in them somewhere.

My fave colour of all time is a Dun.. there used to be one one the circuit when my daughter was competing with PC and it was fabulous, was always consistent in its disciplines, but a little B***er to boot
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Unfortunately I can't watch the videos Shona, but love the Conn in the photo, she looks gorgeous.

In your opinion, does the Connemara have the edge over other natives?

I would defo say they are a front runner I have a pal in Acharacle that had lots of Highlands for her pony trecking business, there was quite a lot of variation in temprament from bone idle to very fast and forward going, though they were all lovely,

I think the conn is a great competiton pony, but they are great in every other way as well.

its a hard one to call, individuals will always vary depending on how they have been kept.

ETA: I have found the connemara less stuborn though
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Re: Connemaras. Would they suit a happy hacker? I am certainly not interested in competition, and just want a bombproof pony to hack out on.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Too much lush grass down there Dobermonkey? I do love the Highlands, but as I said to Jackbox, I think probably finding the right individual will take precedence over which breed or x I eventually get.

my friend says its like Gin n Tonic for horses her cob type x TBmare will be going into the starvation paddock very shortly by the looks of her and they have only been out of work for about 4wks after a busy hunting season.

I like a nice irish sports horse, good legs and a bit of oomph!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

29-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I would defo say they are a front runner I have a pal in Acharacle that had lots of Highlands for her pony trecking business, there was quite a lot of variation in temprament from bone idle to very fast and forward going, though they were all lovely,

I think the conn is a great competiton pony, but they are great in every other way as well.

its a hard one to call, individuals will always vary depending on how they have been kept.

ETA: I have found the connemara less stuborn though

I agree they have such drive and a zest for work... the best pony in my opinion for competition

Re: Connemaras. Would they suit a happy hacker? I am certainly not interested in competition, and just want a bombproof pony to hack out on.
Dont see why not, but as always you have to be selective, no good buying a young one or one that is still very much in competition mode , but saying that if youre a decent rider and the pony lives out , it will /should take the edge of him
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

29-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
my friend says its like Gin n Tonic for horses her cob type x TBmare will be going into the starvation paddock very shortly by the looks of her and they have only been out of work for about 4wks after a busy hunting season.

I like a nice irish sports horse, good legs and a bit of oomph!
Like this so and so.. nice legs good jump and a lot of oomp

ID X Arab X Conamara.....and he is dun, what more can you ask for.. think he was about 5 there,and 16. 2

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >