Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
I read a post on here - probably last week - that said "good breeders who care for their dogs" find good homes for their ex-breeding dogs.

Now in my mind if you have a dog, you love it and have it as part of your family in your home until the day it dies. Why would you rehome a dog that has made you money, possibly over many years. To my mind anyone who does this is only interested in the money and not the breed or the poor dogs themselves.

Interested to know others' opinions.
But we sometimes forget, there are many many type of dog owners, pet owners (like us) who cant comprehend the thought of giving a dog away..

But I think sometimes we can become a little self righteous, and shout down anyone who does not think or act as we do.

Dogs are many things to many owners, the worker, the pet, the therapy dog, because others dont adhere to "a dog is for life" thinking, we blast them as being "none dog lovers" which is rediculous to say the least.

The most important thing to a dog is a loving home, any home... they adjust to what is given to them.

I would never ever give my dog sup, once they come here they are here for life , but I dont judge others for thinking of the dogs and the quality of life they can have with another owner.

I have seen many a x show /breeding dog being placed in a loving pet home, are they happy you bet they are, do they hold grudges to the original owner, you bet they dont!

If a dog does not make the grade in what ever the discipline intended..what wrong with finding it another home, I for one, cant for the life of me see any wrong in it.

Then ofcause there is the serial collector of dogs, they get one, dont like it, its to noisy, to boisterous and so on.. they have it for a few weeks /months then get rid, and replace it with another.

They may be idiots, but my feelings are... at least at some point that dog will end up in a home that appreciates it.

To answer the original question, some breeders breed for money, and some dont...

But I dont class a breeder who moves dogs on as bad owners, the opposite in fact, they are thinking of the dogs welfare first and not what others may think of them.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
To me this is completely different they are working dogs and are necessary on many levels they are not bred to show or sell they are bred to work. Once retired I can see the sense in them going to a comfy retirement home to make room for the new working dogs.
Okey dokey, I will bow out of this one now then as I am not a breeder nor ever likely to be!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
No Reason for those Farmers to dump them in rescue though. at least they could try to rehome them themselves
You see "failed" workers in rescue aswell as failed BC pets. At least a "good" breeder or Sports home will find & vet their home
I don't think you can be as black and white as to say all farmers dump their failed working dogs in rescue. Of course some do, and to be honest I am pleased they do give them up to rescue rather than take them out and shoot them (as still happens) But there are also many caring shepherds and farmers who retire their dogs to friends or to homes that they do vet.

There are bound to be sport people who move dogs on (whether that be put into rescue, sell on or pts) because they don't do well enough in whatever sphere - be that obedience, agility, flyball etc. It is a nonsense to say otherwise.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But we sometimes forget, there are many many type of dog owners, pet owners (like us) who cant comprehend the thought of giving a dog away..

But I think sometimes we can become a little self righteous, and shout down anyone who does not think or act as we do.

Dogs are many things to many owners, the worker, the pet, the therapy dog, because others dont adhere to "a dog is for life" thinking, we blast them as being "none dog lovers" which is rediculous to say the least.

The most important thing to a dog is a loving home, any home... they adjust to what is given to them.

I would never ever give my dog sup, once they come here they are here for life , but I dont judge others for thinking of the dogs and the quality of life they can have with another owner.

I have seen many a x show /breeding dog being placed in a loving pet home, are they happy you bet they are, do they hold grudges to the original owner, you bet they dont!

If a dog does not make the grade in what ever the discipline intended..what wrong with finding it another home, I for one, cant for the life of me see any wrong in it.

Then ofcause there is the serial collector of dogs, they get one, dont like it, its to noisy, to boisterous and so on.. they have it for a few weeks /months then get rid, and replace it with another.

They may be idiots, but my feelings are... at least at some point that dog will end up in a home that appreciates it.

To answer the original question, some breeders breed for money, and some dont...

But I dont class a breeder who moves dogs on as bad owners, the opposite in fact, they are thinking of the dogs welfare first and not what others may think of them.
Excellent post and one I wholeheartedly agree with. I think we can all be far too judgmental of one another, but people in glasshouses and all that ...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Mmm see what you mean. Ive never had to part with a dog because it wasnt "right" for showing, Ive kept all of my dogs regardless. This, with Livvy will be the first time I will have to rehome if she isnt good enough, that was the whole idea of having her. It breaks my heart to think about it, and I so hope I will not have to do it, no reason to think I will though so far.
Hope you don't mind me asking, but why is it different this time round?

I know what you mean about parting with them! I'll make a crap breeder cos I couldn't bare to part with any dog of mine, they're part of my family!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Hope you don't mind me asking, but why is it different this time round?

I know what you mean about parting with them! I'll make a crap breeder cos I couldn't bare to part with any dog of mine, they're part of my family!
Of course I dont mind you asking.

I have waited over 7yrs for a foundation bitch, Breeze was to be that one, only she had a closed Pyo at 14mths, I had her spayed, still showed her, and won a reserve CC, plus many other awards.

Up untill recently, it hasnt been right for me to have another bitch. October 2008 I was having a puppy bitch out of Orey's mom, she only had one puppy, a male. She was then spayed, that was her second and final litter.

I waited another year, untill August last year, when mating Orey's sister to the same stud dog, I chose the stud dog both times, I had pick of the litter too, and the puppy was given to me, the arrangement is that as the breeder may not be in a position to breed another litter, he can have one back from me, from Livvy in the future, in order to keep his bitch line. Obviously if Livvy has any significant fault, I (nor they) would not breed from her, and as I cannot keep any more "pets" at this time, I would have to find her a pet home, and think again about foundation stock. I truly hope that wont be necessary and as I said I cant see it happening at the moment, this is her last week.

DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:22 PM
I havent read this whole thread..But here it goes!

we breed to hopefully keep a pup we can show and carry on our lines in the ring..Thats are main reason for breeding..
imo a decent breeder will do ALL health checks, find good homes for pups, endorse and send with contracts and take back any dog they have bred at ANY stage of the dogs life.
and generally always putting there dogs before ANYTHING else.

I dont agree with people rehoming dogs after the said dog has had all the litters its wanted, and its not something we would do. The bitch would be spayed and live here as a pet, isnt that the least we would owe her after producing us pups that we can show?

I dont think its fair to breed from a dog a number of times then turff her out like some toy that has surved its purpose!

a dog is a family pet in our house before anything else, yes we bred, yes we show but our dogs are our family before all that..we dont stop loving them once we have a few pups from them..

alot of people rehome pups at a later stange if there not good enough for show, and i dont have a problem with that..I just dont like that fact a dog is 'used' then chucked out.

Many breeders will say that isnt it better the girl has a pet home after, but why cant the girl have a pet home with them? because they want the next breeding bitch brought in is your answer.

we did keep two pups from our last litter and was going to run them both on in the ring..by them time they were 5 and half months one of there ears went off, so we pet homed her..The people she went to had been on our list prior to the mating and had picked her out at 8weeks old..I dont see anything wrong with that.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I couldn't do it. My hobby is not more important than my dog.

It has happened to me twice that a dog has not been capable of doing what I wanted to do. Both have remained my dogs and we have worked at different things which they can do.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I couldn't do it. My hobby is not more important than my dog.

It has happened to me twice that a dog has not been capable of doing what I wanted to do. Both have remained my dogs and we have worked at different things which they can do.

rune
Happened to me 3 times so far.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Of course I dont mind you asking.

I have waited over 7yrs for a foundation bitch, Breeze was to be that one, only she had a closed Pyo at 14mths, I had her spayed, still showed her, and won a reserve CC, plus many other awards.

Up untill recently, it hasnt been right for me to have another bitch. October 2008 I was having a puppy bitch out of Orey's mom, she only had one puppy, a male. She was then spayed, that was her second and final litter.

I waited another year, untill August last year, when mating Orey's sister to the same stud dog, I chose the stud dog both times, I had pick of the litter too, and the puppy was given to me, the arrangement is that as the breeder may not be in a position to breed another litter, he can have one back from me, from Livvy in the future, in order to keep his bitch line. Obviously if Livvy has any significant fault, I (nor they) would not breed from her, and as I cannot keep any more "pets" at this time, I would have to find her a pet home, and think again about foundation stock. I truly hope that wont be necessary and as I said I cant see it happening at the moment, this is her last week.

she looks to be growing very well,

but if she turns out all wrong, I will av her
Page 6 of 41 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »