Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-10-2009, 02:43 PM

The Canine Shredding Machine

Here`s a common problem. The letter box !

How many of you have had to Selotape up those Electricity, Gas, Water and Council Tax bills, not to mention your letters from a pile of ripped up bits into some semblance of a readable piece of paper ?

I have. Bonzo looks forward to the postman pushing these intrusions through my letter box with daily expectation and enthusiasm. It is like some addictive fun game. Beats squeeky toys.

As soon as the letter comes through the box, all hell is let loose. The offending intrusion is grabbed, shaken and shredded with great commitment, until it lays on the floor in an array of pieces and the dog is looking a picture of pleasure and achievment.

" Look what I`ve done Master, do ya like it ?"

Some of my neighbours have had their letter boxes blocked up and a box put on the wall outside.

How many times have you had to take a bill for payment that has looked like a taped up, mangled jigsaw ?

The danger is when the hand follows the letter etc. particularly with little chlidren who do not appreciate that a set of jaws is lurking behing that innocent looking letter box.

John Bull
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2009, 02:53 PM
If you think he is likely to bite someone delivering something, you need to take measures to ensure that doesnt happen.

I taught sadie to fetch the post for me, it worked well unless there was a big mouthful and she dropped a letter- she would attempt to pick it up but usually had her foot on it and shredded it by mistake as she was trying to pick it up!!
I soon put a stop to that, but she does fetch the phone when it rings(dont tell the OH!!), the newspaper, my keys and knows all her toys by name and will bring the one i ask for!!
jones
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Fortunately Jones either isn't interested or hasn't discovered this, but one of my last dogs Chloe could...

But I shan't knock her for it, as it got me a job!

I had sent off for an application for a job, which requested a stamped addressed envelope to return the application!

When it returned I wasn't around for the postman, when I got home I found she had already opened it, and chewed the application on the corners.. So I sent my application back with a little ditto about what had happened to it..

I did get an interview which was a surprise has I didn't really have the right qualification for the job.. After a couple of weeks working, my manager did say the only reason I had been interviewed was because of what the dog did to my application!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2009, 09:25 AM
No need to tape up any letter boxers here...my dogs have been taught not to attack anything that comes through, that includes fingers!!!!!!!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Ah the joys of a deaf dog. Dougal never hears the letterbox so is never interested in the post.

My collie Ben used to eat bills with great delight, which is great fun when you try to explain that the dog ate your bill...it's the truth but you can sense the disbelief on the other end

Thank goodness for being able to pay online
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I have an outside box, it was fitted when kieser my bullmastiff came to live.