register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Poll - Do you agree you should be alpha male over your dog?
Yes 70 39.33%
No 71 39.89%
Other, please specify 37 20.79%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 48 of 92 « First < 38 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 58 > Last »
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Forgot to say, my Ben was neither food or toy motivated - and when I 1st got him he was scared of contact with people - even stroking scared him
I have had to train him to like people, food and toys and then to find them rewarding
O bless him !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 12:15 PM
The yes's have it at the mo !!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I must be very lucky with my dogs then ! Actually, something I forgot to say about Hal is that treat training would have been an absolutely NO NO with him ! He wasn't in the least bit interested in food, or praise for that matter ! It was sex that tripped his trigger, but I don't think we should go down that route !!
Its a primary reinforcer and was often used with lab rats during experiments

It may be that my particular type of dog is particularly well suited for praise reward, rather than treat reward. I don't think so though - Tai is very food orientated, as already demonstrated, but he is more than happy with his praise as a reward. And if you are a true Pack leader, then this WILL be sufficient. Even Hal would not have been distracted by chasing rabbits once he had been called to heel (admittedly, only after his new training regieme aka CM - before, anything went with him, it was pot luck as to whether he would recall or not !)
You have to fine what works for each different animal, but I will never believe that a dog sees me as a pack leader.

I work for my boss for both reasons ! I couldn't work for anyone, however much I was paid, if I 1) didin't like the boss and 2) didn't like the work. Obviously, I couldn't work for no salary at all, but I am prepared to take a much lower salary for a nice boss and interesting work - the two are not mutually exclusive, I must have both. Third, comes working location and fourth money. I believe it to be so with our dogs - they primarily "work" for us because of their undying loyalty, not because we feed them. We all know of the hearbreaking stories of dogs being tortured both physically and mentally, and yet they will still lick the hand that beats them and with their dying breath defend the home of that hand. This is a direct inheritance from their wild wolf ancestors, the undying loyalty to Pack alpha male and female. Unless you happen to be a young male beta upstart from outside the pack, or rarely within ! Which is why we used to have young Hal staging his regular failed attempts !!
No - I agree that you have to be abvle to get on with your boss....but if you did not need to work, you would be more inclined to go off and do your own thing, follow you desires rather than tying yourself down. I believe dogs are the same.

I'm not criticising your obvious great and devoted love you have for dogs, as I do too. I just think I see things with less rose tinted spectacles. I am not at all convinced by your argument that your dogs NEED these titbits. I think you would find they will be just as loyal, as devoted, and desirous to please with or without them ... they for sure would say "With With !!
I'm sorry - I did not mean to imply that dogs 'needed' titbits...I meant dogs needed a reward.
My dogs do not need food rewards - but they need some form of reward, and I have found that toys and food bring out the best in them. If I do not have food on walks (I very rarely do) my dogs will do everything I ask, but, why should I stop something that the dog enjoys and gets the 'best' results? People often ask me how I get the Enthusiasm of my dogs when working Obedience or the dreaded HtM! Many people have difficulty with this especially with 'other' breeds.

And.....I wish I still had the rose tinted glasses - but I am off to see someone with a ex herding BC who has just bitten a jogger, sadly this is not the first case like this I will have dealt with. I think the glasses broke a long time ago

I'm not entirely happy when Tai asks people in the pub for titbits. This has only happened very recently, and it is something I could stop immediately if I wished. Provided there are no other dogs in the pub, he is allowed to go round and say hello to everyone if he wants to, and I see no harm if the odd person slips him a sly crisp, even though I don't approve of such treats, one or two won't hurt him. What I won't have him doing is sitting there drooling at them, that is showing a distinct lack of manners as he would not dream of doing this to us, so thinks he can get away with this behaviour with some more gullible humans ! In future, when I am better and can go out once again, I will have to stop his ramblings I think until he has learned not to beg once more.
I'm not convinced about your analogy of slot machine/vending machine. I personally have always found that with whatever dog I have had, reinforcement works, and when something works, I continue to use it, and it continues to work. Maybe I have just been lucky?
It is part of the Operant conditioning learning theory. Many people do this without thinking about it. Once the dog has learnt a command you start to reduce the reward you give. Hence moving on to a VI schedule.

And I've LOST A KILO AND A HALF IN WEIGHT !! Yipee !! Only 10 kilos to go
Good start - I hope you manage to loose the rest without feeling so horid.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I hope you're not comparing my beloved Hal to rats, Tassle !!

"Its a primary reinforcer and was often used with lab rats during experiments "

A Love Rat maybe !! Like Hewitt !! Lol !!

I personally just do not buy into the "reward" thing, I really don't. We'll have to meet up some time and I will show you Tai, how happy he is just to please me for no better reason than because he WANTS to ! His pat on the head, or a Good Dog, is praise enough ... honest injun !!

" And.....I wish I still had the rose tinted glasses - but I am off to see someone with a ex herding BC who has just bitten a jogger, sadly this is not the first case like this I will have dealt with. I think the glasses broke a long time ago "

I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but one of my pet hates are those horrid smug bloody THIN joggers, striding out on their perfectly formed muscly legs doing something that I was NEVER built for, even in my thin days (well padded on the upper half of my body if you get my drift !). Such is my jealousy, that I would positively HEAP titbits on the naughty BC and do everything I could to encourage his herding tendencies when presented with a fit jogger !!

However, joking apart, that is very bad advice, and not at all fair on the dog. Having been chased by a fair few farm collies in my time on horseback, and having had to cope with trying to control a maddened and bolting horse, it is not at all funny. I've been bitten too by more than one collie in my time, and my gosh they do nip hard.

As far as my reward system goes, I am always consistent ! The reason being goes back to Hal. Because he was always so damned disobedient, except for the last year of his life, it always came as such a lovely surprise when he was obedient !! Tai is a Hal look-alike, so when we took him on after Hal's untimely death, I nearly fainted every time with one word from me, he obeyed !! It still amazes me, and makes my chest swell with pride ! So you see, when I say I pat him on the head, I am being very economical with the truth for fear of boring everyone ! It goes something like this :

"Good boy Tai Tai, Good boy !! You are Nikki's Very Good Boy ! Oh yes you are !!" All the while the dog is being ruffled on the ears and his ribcage, something he loves. OH says I'll make the dog as daft as myself, but although Hal would never have tolerated such treatment, Tai adores it. This is his praise, his reward, he needs no more.

Should the day dawn when this isn't enough, then I will need to think again, but for now he is so happy to be with us, I think that is enough reward in itself. It has to be borne in mind too Tassle, that he is a rescue dog, not because he was being cruelly treated, not at all, but his previous owner could not give him the life he needed because he had to go out to work and Tai could not stand being left Home Alone. Now, to Tai it could be that all the reward he needs is to continue to live with us for the rest of his days being spoiled rotten, two long walks at least twice a day, regular bike rides, fantastic food and a lovely house and countryside to live in !
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm confused - you say you do not agree with the reward thin...but implement it everytime the dog does something!

I would agree about rescue dogs.... often with that bit of insecurity in thier past. Gabehas terrible SA, I thought I had got him over it. I can leave him at home and go out with no noise/destruction/soiling (he used to destroy his previous owners house)

However - I left him with my mother for the day when I went up to a show recently. He spent the whole time bonking the Lab bitch that was here (seriously) and growling at my mother every time she asked him to do something or answered the phone. She is not intimidated by him and he does not really 'mean' it (her words not mine). Just proves that as far as I have come with him in 3 years we have not really got that far.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I'm confused - you say you do not agree with the reward thin...but implement it everytime the dog does something!

I would agree about rescue dogs.... often with that bit of insecurity in thier past. Gabehas terrible SA, I thought I had got him over it. I can leave him at home and go out with no noise/destruction/soiling (he used to destroy his previous owners house)

However - I left him with my mother for the day when I went up to a show recently. He spent the whole time bonking the Lab bitch that was here (seriously) and growling at my mother every time she asked him to do something or answered the phone. She is not intimidated by him and he does not really 'mean' it (her words not mine). Just proves that as far as I have come with him in 3 years we have not really got that far.
O sorry sorry, I've got flu for brains at the mo ! Weak from lack of food and all that !! I meant I don't agree with titbit rewards, I feel my praise is sufficient !!

I had to laugh at your poor mother being witness to live sex and growling !! It sounds like she handled it well in that she wasn't intimidated, but not sure about the not meaning it bit ! Perhaps we should look at our dogs in the reverse way we look at our kids - as long as our dogs behave with us, that's the most important ! With my daughter, I used to comfort myself that she was an angel for everyone except us (she suffers from ADHD).

If it's any comfort to you, although we never did leave Hal with anyone ever, except when he was in the vet's, it is my belief he would have been just the same. He had terrible SA all his life, but we knew that taking on a wolf cross we would have this problem, so it did not bother us one bit, we lived with it and worked round it, same as we do with Tai. None of them are perfect after all !
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:16 PM
The yes's have it at the mo !!
No, don't forget at least 4 of us voted Other but also meant No!

I wish I'd voted No now but I wasn't sure about the wording Pidge wrote so voted Other instead .

I wonder how many others did vote for Other, but also meant No to alpha stuff?

Wys
x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Now don't going spoiling it for me Wys !!

With the exception of you 4, I'm sure the Others knew what they were doing !!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Blimey, you guys are still scrapping it out.

I haven't read the rest of the thread since I last posted in it, but I thought I'd share this anyway. I was speaking to my supervisor today (research Dr. who lectures in animal neuroscience) who said that humans were 99.8%, not 98%, related to the common chimpanzee.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:49 PM
My other should have been a no also

This thread has been a mine of information, thanks guys
Page 48 of 92 « First < 38 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 58 > Last »