View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cyclingscott
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks and I apologise if my last post seemed harsh-I do appreciate the help. I am trying hard and learning all the time and Dottie is improving as well - sometimes she seems like she isn't trying so hard but I know she's not doing it on purpose!

We think she is just under 2 and a half by the way.
tyr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
For what it's worth, I have a stressy Terv who's about the same age as yours. I've had her from 4 months, and she has a real problem concentrating and controlling herself around other dogs.

If the dog is so hyped up that you don't get through to it, you've missed your chance. You want to intervene before you disappear off your dog's monitor, so watch your dog, read the body language, and work out when you're losing her. If it's too late, break off the exercise, walk away, calm down and try again. Dogs can't learn when they're hyper. And you're right - rather than being actively disobedient, stressy dogs sometimes just can't do it.

I've been frustrated many times, especially when comparing her to other dogs that don't have those issues. Even worse, as a shepherd, my dog is supposed to be people- and toy-orientated => I failed (I will look at the video smokeybear posted!). We humans tend to take things terribly personally. 'How DARE my dog ignore me when I'm it's master!!' 'I've put so much EFFORT into this dog, and what do I get back!!' (<= quoting myself here, so no offense intended! ) However - you learn a lot more from a dog like that, so accept it as a challenge!

There will be good days where you feel you're making progress, and bad days where everything seems pointless. If you keep a diary you can assess more objectively what you're achieving long-term.

As the other posts said:
Build it up slowly. Practise where it doesn't matter. Build up confidence. Keep at it. It will get easier.

And kudos for training your lurcher. Most people I know use the breed excuse and lie back comfortably.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by tyr View Post
For what it's worth, I have a stressy Terv who's about the same age as yours. I've had her from 4 months, and she has a real problem concentrating and controlling herself around other dogs.

If the dog is so hyped up that you don't get through to it, you've missed your chance. You want to intervene before you disappear off your dog's monitor, so watch your dog, read the body language, and work out when you're losing her. If it's too late, break off the exercise, walk away, calm down and try again. Dogs can't learn when they're hyper. And you're right - rather than being actively disobedient, stressy dogs sometimes just can't do it.

I've been frustrated many times, especially when comparing her to other dogs that don't have those issues. Even worse, as a shepherd, my dog is supposed to be people- and toy-orientated => I failed (I will look at the video smokeybear posted!). We humans tend to take things terribly personally. 'How DARE my dog ignore me when I'm it's master!!' 'I've put so much EFFORT into this dog, and what do I get back!!' (<= quoting myself here, so no offense intended! ) However - you learn a lot more from a dog like that, so accept it as a challenge!

There will be good days where you feel you're making progress, and bad days where everything seems pointless. If you keep a diary you can assess more objectively what you're achieving long-term.

As the other posts said:
Build it up slowly. Practise where it doesn't matter. Build up confidence. Keep at it. It will get easier.

And kudos for training your lurcher. Most people I know use the breed excuse and lie back comfortably.
Very well said
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I can really relate to your posts.

I adopted Dexter when he was a year old. Now it's almost a year later and recall is still a problem.

I use a long line and do find this useful. It means it's easier for you to interrupt the sequence; the second I see Dex tense and stand still, staring at a speck in the distance - I either gently tug the line or step lightly on it and of course also recall him.

Like your dog, Dex rarely plays with toys. In fact the only things he will 'play' with are an old leather boot and a very big flower pot

He now will play tug-of-war but not in the park - I've tried and he just looks at the toy and then at me and then sighs!1

I am now going to start taking him to the park before his first meal in the hope that this will help. Since he's a 'typical' Labrador re food, in theory this should prove a good strategy.......!
cyclingscott
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks Tyr,

really helpful comments and nice to know that someone else has the same issues-unless you have secretly been watching/listening in to me (you actually could have been with the "I'm putting so much effort in" comment)? I've actually had both sides of the story today-really good on recall, better than ever this morning in the park then took her to a meeting I had to go to this afternoon (outdoors, sitting in the shade at a picnic table, hoped she would chill out and lie peacefully) and she tied my feet up in her lead, climbed on the table and then when I eventually thought she was relaxing, she bit through her lead and trotted off down the path!

TabithaJ-infuriating isn't it? Hopefully the DVD will show me how to play properly. I have also tried taking Dottie for a walk before breakfast-sometimes I think it's better (this morning she was great) but other times it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Hopefully it will work for you-Dottie definitely doesn't have a lab's affection for food.

Scott
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
I feel for you. I adopted Dingo when he as approximately 12 months old and his recall was horrendous. I've had him for just over three years now and I can now let him run off lead on a field but never in a wooded area. He sees something to chase and he's off and I don't believe I'll ever break that in him. I very quickly learned to celebrate the small steps he made and it makes you feel better. I even resorted to running around the field myself waving a multi coloured feather duster all over the place. That soon broke his chase and he chased me instead.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3