Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Agree with you especially the bit about the sort of life they lead now

I would have thought it not legal to slit your companion dogs throat in the UK?

The mere idea of someone even thinking that way about their own companion
dogs, i find abhorrent & nauseous
Given there are humane alternatives to euthanize a loved pet, I find it incredibly disturbing that anyone would even see this as an alternative.

I find it incredible that some have said ... "I would have to look into it", "dont know enough about it, " I would need to know if it was less traumatic /painful", before I made a decision.

We are living a country with veterinary care at our finger tips, there is no excuse to NOT take your dog to a vet to be euthanized... (leaving out a vet coming to your home) .

Can you imagine the uproar we woudl hear on here, if we heard a story of lets say.............

Youth found guilty of slitting his dogs throat, before he would pay for a vet to euthanize.

Yet here we are .. discussing exactly that, with some answers being of the ........."maybe its not so bad"... thinking.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure these opinions are not being voiced solely to be contrary witht he intention to wind others up"!

Because for the life of me, I cant think of any animal lover who would willingly choose to end their dogs/cats life in such a way!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 03:17 PM
But surely it's a hypothetical situation we're discussing...

Same as "would your dog eat you?", or "would you eat another person to survive?", or "would you eat your dog to survive?"
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

Same as "would your dog eat you?", or "would you eat another person to survive?", or "would you eat your dog to survive?"
A hypothetical question , with some "real " responses.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
And there are two sets of numbers next to each country, what do these stand for?
First is number killed second is the weight in metric tons
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

Well spotted!

rune
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 05:58 PM
I would not slit my pets throat but nor would I send him to be stunned, hung up and his throat cut and then bled out.
My pet will not be entering the food chain and so there is no reason he can not be PTS by injection. I'm no expert but I would have thought this the most humane method considering no-one will be eating him!

Not sure how its come to these sorts of rediculous (hypothetical) questions on here? (seems Iv missed a lot)

it's really shocking and I've not read all the way back yet
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Well said I agree.. It's madness and an irrelevant comparison!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Not sure how its come to these sorts of rediculous (hypothetical) questions on here? (seems Iv missed a lot)
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Well said I agree.. It's madness and an irrelevant comparison!
It is because I asked this:

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Just out of curiosity here's a hypothetical situation for those who do not see a problem with unstunned halal meat. If your pet was terminally ill and you had the choice of taking it to the vets to be pts or a qualified slaughter person slitting its throat without stunning it, assuming that there was no legal reason that you could not chose either option, which option would you choose and why? Just curious
Which I asked fairly tongue-in-cheek, I wouldn't have expected any pet owner to consider this an acceptable way to end a pets life. Smokeybear raised a few when she said she would be ok with that.

It is ridiculous, madness or irrelevant? - just to remind everyone - this is the original post:

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
It was brought to my attention that anyone can buy a pony at a horse sale and take it home, slit its throat and sell it as Halal meat Well anyone that is a muslim of course.

Apparently it is perfectly legal so long as you are pointing it east and saying a prayer over it to allah It is happening in this country right now. (Saves slaughterhouse costs)

Cattle, sheep and goats have to have a holding number to buy them so there is some tracability but with ponies they do not.

I was quite shocked.
As I understand it, in the UK, ponies are not destined for the food chain, they are PETS - just as a dog is a pet. Ponies tend to go through a few owners, child gets pony, child loves pony, pony has happy life (hopefully), child gets too big for pony, pony is sold to next family and the cycle repeats itself, unless it is sold to be slaughtered as halal meat of course and has its throat slashed. So this thread actually has nothing to do with farm animals raised as meat, because ponies are not raised as meat they are PETS As a child I, and my sisters, were fortunate enough to have ponies, we were lucky that we had the space and the resources to ensure that they all lived out their days with us. Many people who have owned a pony as a child, and loved it as they would any other pet, have no idea how their pony spent their last moments, and I bet not one pony owner would want to know that their beloved PET had died in such a way as having its throat slit. Rural crime against ponies and horses sadly does exist. Incidentally, I was very young when I read in 'Horse and Pony' about a girl whose pony had been killed when some freaks went into his stable in the night and slit his throat. It caused an outrage that someone's pet had been killed in such a violent and unpleasant way.

So for those that think that pets are irrelevent and do not belong in this thread, please feel free to re-read the original post, decide whether a pony is a pet or a food choice in this country and then, you should (hopefully) have some idea whether it is relevant or not
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Majuka, what an emotive post.
If a horse is sold for halal it is entering the food chain isn't it? What if it is sold to someone who moves to say...France?

If an animal enters the food chain it CANNOT be killed by lethal injection.
This thread is about animals that are entering THE FOOD CHAIN. Whether or not the horse/sheep/cow was a child's pet is irrelevant ( my son fed a lamb it's first solid meal last year...he may since have eaten it). The discussion is NOT about how we euthsnise pets still in our care, who will not be entering the food chain, it's about animals who will enter the food chain. You therefore cannot compare the slaughter methods as there are different laws and requirements.

Why wouldn't a pony in the UK enter the halal food chain? Equally why would it? I do not go into halal butchers but it would be interesting to know how much horse meat those who do use them see? My understanding is that actually a lot of muslims are vege.

People who sell ponys at market have no real idea where they are going or the conditions they will be kept in. Or where they will end up after that......
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Its funny how this "hypothetical" question has suddenly been deemed irrelevant after over a 130 strong replies some against, some for and some sitting on the fence.. even one going as far as to say she would euthanize her pet this way...which was supported to a degree by others..........but then as its been pointed out, its all hypothetical, so given you are not really put in such a situation, its easy to say "I would" " I might" and so on, when in reality I doubt anyone would choose this death for their pets.

I guess given the feeling on hypothetical questions generated on here in the last few posts,its going to rather reduce the topics of many a thread on the board, with them being irrelevant and what not.

Going back to the pony and halal slaughter, given what we have heard on here, I wonder if muslims would buy ponies from sales to slaughter, if being part of the ritual , knowing were the meat comes from and how its reared being crucial, then my guess would be a no, to that.

How can anyone buying meat for slaughter from horse sales know the background on it.

I am not naive to think that thousands of horses and ponies go each year for the food chain, they do, here they will go as dog food, if they go abroad they can go for human consumption.

My own horse many years ago was euthanized at the hunt kennels, I was under no illusion as to what happened to him... but he had a good life and quick dignified death,

To think I would have sentenced him to a death by cutting his throat and allowing him to bleed out till he died , is as abhorrent as it gets.

Of-cause the death and consequent preparation for foods is not nice , no matter how we look at it...but to sanction one method (due to religion) over another , does not make it OK.

We need to up the anti, for ALL animals that are slaughtered, by ALL who do it, no exceptions, you live by the law of the land, and if the law states "stun" before death, then anyone caught NOT adhering the legalisation, should be dealt with accordingly!
Page 36 of 41 « First < 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 > Last »