Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Layla looks so lovely. I'm sure you'll find a good home for her soon.

Absolute kudos to you for giving this gorgeous girl a chance.

I wish I had your courage and strength to take in waifs and strays and re-home them. My boy is not good with other dogs and is really quite unpredictable. I often think if I didn't have to work I could foster a dog and keep it separate but it would be a lot of hard walk e.g separate walks twice per day etc. but maybe one day.
You never know Baxter. I always thought I'd love to be able to work in a kennels or a rescue or sanctuary. Sadly, even if they were paid jobs, I needed to earn more money than that. Then I had a dog that did not do well left on her own (a Cavvy).

Then, after moving to Cyprus and retiring early (well that was the intention!) with my Cavvy older and lazier and liking a lie in in the mornings - I was able to volunteer at the Malcolm Cat Sanctuary and do a 5am til 8am stint in the mornings before lazybones was even properly awake!

When I resumed working I was lucky enough to have a job (my present one) where I work remotely from home and can choose my working hours and even days so I was able to continue at the MCS as well as I only have to put in about 1 to 3 hrs a day online, depending how many days I do to accomplish my 'work'.

Sadly, when I moved to Larnaca I was too far away to continue. But I enjoyed my year and a half 'hands on' there.

Now I still help out but not hands on - with fundraising and support and donations. I also help the boarding kennels where my own dog goes as they are so MARVELLOUS and they take in strays and in fact have more animals on the premises that they have rescued than they are boarding. Some they find homes for, but the old or disabled they give a 'twilight years' home to for life.

So ... maybe one day for you too!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

03-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Lovely photos and she looks like she wants to settle down with you and your gang!

Thanks for sharing
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Gorgeous pictures, she looks so at home.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Yes hopefully one day.

I think my other reason for avoiding getting involved is that I become so incredibly emotionally involved and would stress about where the dogs were being rehomed. I have such high standards of dog care that I would find it unbearable if I thought the dog I was taking care of was going to end up in a home that followed the techniques of Cesar Milan for example.

When I rescued my dog, I saw a few other dogs (and ones being walked by volunteers at the time) for weeks after I would obsessively check the website for the magic words "Rehomed" above their name and details. Then I heard of several dogs that were rehomed and then returned which nearly broke my heart, these dogs would be re-advertised and then mysteriously disappear from the website.

I'm in the main an emotionally robust person but find myself very fragile when it comes to dogs.

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
You never know Baxter. I always thought I'd love to be able to work in a kennels or a rescue or sanctuary. Sadly, even if they were paid jobs, I needed to earn more money than that. Then I had a dog that did not do well left on her own (a Cavvy).

Then, after moving to Cyprus and retiring early (well that was the intention!) with my Cavvy older and lazier and liking a lie in in the mornings - I was able to volunteer at the Malcolm Cat Sanctuary and do a 5am til 8am stint in the mornings before lazybones was even properly awake!

When I resumed working I was lucky enough to have a job (my present one) where I work remotely from home and can choose my working hours and even days so I was able to continue at the MCS as well as I only have to put in about 1 to 3 hrs a day online, depending how many days I do to accomplish my 'work'.

Sadly, when I moved to Larnaca I was too far away to continue. But I enjoyed my year and a half 'hands on' there.

Now I still help out but not hands on - with fundraising and support and donations. I also help the boarding kennels where my own dog goes as they are so MARVELLOUS and they take in strays and in fact have more animals on the premises that they have rescued than they are boarding. Some they find homes for, but the old or disabled they give a 'twilight years' home to for life.

So ... maybe one day for you too!
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 02:36 PM
She is beautiful!. No idea why someone would not claim such a beautiful girl and being a BC helps even more!.

She sure does look happy and settled in your home.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Yes hopefully one day.

I think my other reason for avoiding getting involved is that I become so incredibly emotionally involved and would stress about where the dogs were being rehomed. I have such high standards of dog care that I would find it unbearable if I thought the dog I was taking care of was going to end up in a home that followed the techniques of Cesar Milan for example.

When I rescued my dog, I saw a few other dogs (and ones being walked by volunteers at the time) for weeks after I would obsessively check the website for the magic words "Rehomed" above their name and details. Then I heard of several dogs that were rehomed and then returned which nearly broke my heart, these dogs would be re-advertised and then mysteriously disappear from the website.

I'm in the main an emotionally robust person but find myself very fragile when it comes to dogs.
Much the same reasons why I never wanted any of my bitches to have pups. Couldn't see myself letting them go and positive my daughter wouldn't let them!

And yes again - when working in the Malcolm Sanctuary I'd say the saddest things (apart from having to watch kittens die when they couldn't be saved) was having a long term resident who'd at last found a home be returned back to the sanctuary. Usually because the family was moving on again and wouldn't take them with them. Heartbreaking and I can't put down here what I think about those 'families'.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Thank you all for you kind words. Layla is still going from strength to strength and she sort of met her potential new family today (although she spent much of the meet hiding behind my legs!). I really would love to keep her myself but I am not in the right position to offer her the time and dedication she needs while still fulfilling the needs of my boys.

She'll make someone a really loyal dog and at a different time in my life I wouldn't hesitate to take her on but right now I need to concentrate on Malcolm and Bandit as well as making Scooby's remaining time as pleasant as possible.

I also like the thought of having a couple of fairly well behaved dogs for a change rather than always having a 'work in progress' as it were... I find it really rewarding working with more difficult dogs but sometimes it's nice just to have a peaceful walk with little to no worries.

I will make sure she goes to a nice home and she will always have a place with me should they not work out.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2013, 10:20 PM
You are a star Wyrekin. And you should just ignore us lot constantly entreating you to keep every waif and stray you bring home with you in the short term!

What is it they say about not being able to 'change the world' by helping just one dog but you can change the world for just one dog when you help that one dog.

The number of animals you find homes for is v. impressive.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
You are a star Wyrekin. And you should just ignore us lot constantly entreating you to keep every waif and stray you bring home with you in the short term!

What is it they say about not being able to 'change the world' by helping just one dog but you can change the world for just one dog when you help that one dog.

The number of animals you find homes for is v. impressive.
Thanks T, it's always tempting to keep them but there's nothing nicer than sending them to their new homes and there is always another one to fill the void and help along their way.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Thank you all for you kind words. Layla is still going from strength to strength and she sort of met her potential new family today (although she spent much of the meet hiding behind my legs!). I really would love to keep her myself but I am not in the right position to offer her the time and dedication she needs while still fulfilling the needs of my boys.

She'll make someone a really loyal dog and at a different time in my life I wouldn't hesitate to take her on but right now I need to concentrate on Malcolm and Bandit as well as making Scooby's remaining time as pleasant as possible.

I also like the thought of having a couple of fairly well behaved dogs for a change rather than always having a 'work in progress' as it were... I find it really rewarding working with more difficult dogs but sometimes it's nice just to have a peaceful walk with little to no worries.

I will make sure she goes to a nice home and she will always have a place with me should they not work out.
One of the reasons I couldnt work with animals hands on and only in administration,because when you look into a dogs eyes it is all there,whats it been through and the silent entreaty for help.So I take my hat off to all the professionals who work tirelessly with these dogs.Gemini54
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >