Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angieh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2011, 02:59 PM

General question about a dog and it's master

I am new to dogs or rather hope to be in due course. My OH is used to them.

My general question is - would it be too much to expect of a pup to have basic training given to it by two people? Should a dog be trained by just one?

I understand that our commands should be the same!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 03:15 PM
As long as you`re using the same methods. a dog will respond to you both.
Some breeds tend to bond to one person, but can be trained to work for others as well.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Nope it's not too much at all! It's best if both people are involved in training. The thing is you need to agree on what commands are for what, otherwise it can get confusing for the dog (e.g. one person uses "down" to mean "lay down" and another means "stop jumping on me").

With our dog, I went to training class and then came home and taught my partner what we had been working on so he could use the same commands. She responds well to us both!
angieh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
As long as you`re using the same methods. a dog will respond to you both.
Some breeds tend to bond to one person, but can be trained to work for others as well.
We have sort of decided on a Mini Schnauzer - do you know if it's one of the "one person" bonders you mention here?

Thanks for that - good news. I'd prefer to avoid an "it's your dog" situation.
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2011, 04:30 PM
there was me and my friend who trained jasper altho jasper is mine he responds better to my friend and plays up more for me and we both do the same methods and we both go to the training lessons together.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by angieh View Post
We have sort of decided on a Mini Schnauzer - do you know if it's one of the "one person" bonders you mention here?

Thanks for that - good news. I'd prefer to avoid an "it's your dog" situation.
Not that I know of. GSDs and GSPs are. I am never alone.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by angieh View Post
I am new to dogs or rather hope to be in due course. My OH is used to them.
I got sold this line... funnily - guess who does 99% of the training (and guess who UN-does 80% of that?!)

Daft dog is still more obsessed with my hubby than me - gratitude for the one who feeds it, waters it, treats it when teaching it things?? Nah!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I've never shared the training for my dogs, even when I was with my ex and we got them as puppies and took them to classes he never got involved much. He would use the same comands but the dogs didnt take much notice TBH. I was the one who spent the time with them so they only really paid attention to what I said! My ex would always ask why the dogs did as they were told for me but not for him!!

Like folk have said, as long as you use the same commands then a puppy will learn from both of you well enough.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Sal gravitates to me (mind you I am the walker and general ball thrower) however she listens to everyone in the family. She sits for my youngest niece too she is bottom of the hirachy but she listens to everyone, in the family.But to be honest she rarely needs direction as the house is kinda "routine" for her.
Ask you vet if they do puppy classes or look out for people with young dogs and ask....recomendations are key to this.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 09:33 PM
It is ok as long as you are all singing from the same hymn sheet so to speak!

I trained my dogs in obedience and heelwork to music just as something to keep them mentally active but husband never wants to take them to the classes but likes them doing tricks for him at home and uses the wrong words and hand signals! They persevere and work out what he wants from them eventually but I get a bit annoyed with him sometimes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >