Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timothy
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2010, 02:20 PM

New Member (Dog has wet on the carpet)

Hi Everybody
I am new to this site so I thought I would say hello to you all what I have read so far seems very nice and you seem to help in lots of ways with doggy problems
I too have a problem I have a rescue dog who has weed on the hall carpet twice and I am at a loss as to what to do to cure him of this anyone got any ideas
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi Hilary and welcome to Dogsey
How old is your dog, how long have you had him ? Is it only the hall he soils in , have you had any other dogs in your house? He could be scent marking.
I am guessing he isn't a puppy but whether he is or not I would treat him as a puppy for the purposes of making sure he is properly house trained.

First you need to remove all traces of accidents on the carpet with a none ammonia based cleaner like biological washing powder or a special cleaner like stain devil , this should prevent your dog returning to soil in the same area.
If you can't be around to supervise him until he has learnt to be clean I would leave him in the Kitchen.

To house train him he needs taking out at times he is most likely to want to relieve himself that is first thing in the morning/last thing at night/after eating play/excitement/when he sniffs the ground and circles/about an hour after he last went out.

Take him a short walk preferably to an area frequented by other dogs so their scent will stimulate him to eliminate and when he goes give him a treat and lots of praise.

Don't be cross with him for soiling in the house or he may be afraid to relieve himself in your presence. Instead clean up the accident with no word or eye contact.

You can also train your little dog to eliminate on command using a prompt word so that he learns to 'go' when requested and that doing so outside in your presence is rewarding (and going inside brings no reward).

To teach this I would take your little dog out armed with some high value treats like tiny pieces of chicken or cheese. First he needs to learn a prompt word (I say 'beclean')when he is in the middle of relieving himself say the word you have chosen so that he learns to associates the word with the action, then the moment he finishes going give a treat and praise.

Once he has learnt to associate the word with the action you can then use the word to prompt him to eliminate . After a while the treats should be given randomly then not at all but always give praise.
Timothy
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Minihaha
Thank you for that advice most helpful my dog is now six I have had him for three years I got him from a rescue and at first he did make puddles but I started to do as you say and let him out in the garden first thing in the morning and last thing at night that seemed to cure the problem but recently he has made these little mistakes the first was in the bathroom I can't think why up against a chest I have there then on the first step of the stairs and again a few weeks later If I leave him in the kitchen and shut the door he makes a puddle so I have to leave the outer door open so he can go out which makes my kitchen very cold
Also in the evening when I sit down to watch tv he constantly every half hour wants to go into the hall or the kitchen which is driving me mad as this goes on all night till we go to bed if I shut him in the kitchen he scratches the door it was a nice new door I have never had a dog like this I think that is why they must have got rid of him if only I had known I have got to the stage now he is wearing me out I am thinking of trying to find him a new home for him apart from that his is such a loving little dog and just wants to be with you all the time and loves fuss I have also never had a dog that follows you everywhere If I go out when I come back in oh he goes mad so I have to let him out and give him one of his treats I really think he is a great little chap but I am so tired I just don't know where to turn to sort this problem out and the problem of having to get up every half hour to go in the kitchen or out with him and when he goes out he just does a little wee and runs in the other night I locked him in the kitchen and he made a puddle so I had to clean that up then went back to watching my tv its not as if I haven't tried with him but I am at the end of my tether in fact he has ruined my life I can't go away for a few days or stay out too long even if I go to friends for a meal I can't stay too long because of him So That is the problem wish I could find him a good home But thank you for you advice much obliged
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear that you are getting so stressed about the current problems that you are considering rehoming your dog.

There are a number of things that cross my mind.
(1) as this has only started recently after 3 years of him being ok, there is a chance it could be a medical problem - perhaps a urinary tract infection? If you haven't yet had him checked over by the vet, I would do so (take a sample of his pee).

When you keep getting up to let him into the hall/kitchen, what does he do - does he want to go out for a pee or does he just wonder round those rooms and come back?

(2) if it is not medical, it could be seperation anxiety, i.e. he is peeing because he is worried and/or attention seeking.

How often do you walk him (and what sort of walks) and do you do anything else with him - e.g. teaching him tricks, playing games etc? A tired dog (both mentally and physically) will settle better.

If I was you I would first get him checked over by the vet. Assuming there is nothing medically wrong, I would start from scratch. Give him a good walk and a bit of play/training and then give him something to occupy him for a short while (e.g. a filled kong or treat ball). Go out without making a fuss, stay out just a few minutes and then come back in (again no fuss when you come back). Gradually build on the time you leave him, but always make sure he has had a good walk/play/training before you leave and that you leave him with something nice.

Good luck, with a bit of work on your part, I think things can improve and you won't feel that he is the burden which you do now.
Meg
Supervisor

25-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi Hilary you say...

my dog is now six I have had him for three years I got him from a rescue and at first he did make puddles but I started to do as you say and let him out in the garden first thing in the morning and last thing at night that seemed to cure the problem but recently he has made these little mistakes the first was in the bathroom I can't think why up against a chest I have there then on the first step of the stairs and again a few weeks later If I leave him in the kitchen and shut the door he makes a puddle so I have to leave the outer door open so he can go out which makes my kitchen very cold
with a dog that age that you have had for a while any change in behaviour like soiling in the house should be checked out by a vet to make sure there is no medical condition like a urinary tract infection or disorder of the pancreas. Take a sample to the vets if you can.

I would take him out frequently (though every hour isn't necessary with an adult dog) and reward him for eliminating as described above rather than letting him go out so you are sure he is empty.
I would also close doors and restrict access to rooms when you are not in there with him.

In the evenings you could try giving him part of his meal in a kong in the kitchen to keep him occupied.
Timothy
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I do appreciate you both taking the trouble to help me when I first got him I would come down in the morning and find toilet in the kitchen and sometimes during the day I solved this problem by putting down first newspaper near the door then I decided to give him a little food at breakfast time and the rest of his main meal around 4.30 and I always took him out last thing at night so that cured the toilet problem. He did however wee but eventually I got him into the habit of going out into the garden with me first thing in the morning after he was awake to relieve himself and last thing at night which did the trick. I cannot lock him in though as he would just wee on the floor If I lock the kitchen door when I go to friends he has weed when I get back usually in the middle of the floor this he has always done from me first getting him but All this weeing in the hall/bathroom seem to start after firework night he only did it in the kitchen before that I put the radio on for him but it must have upset him so much I have discussed the weeing with the vet who did not seem to have an answer only to get him castrated, and when he went for his booster he even weed in the waiting room the vet said he needed castrating so I am thinking of having that done maybe that will help a little I sometimes think he has a water tank under him he wees so much I don't want to take his water bowl up as I don't think that is a good thing to do a dog needs to have water when he wants it I will keep you posted as to his progress and Many thanks once again
Meg
Supervisor

25-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Hilary you say..
I first got him I would come down in the morning and find toilet in the kitchen and sometimes during the day I solved this problem by putting down first newspaper near the door
it may be that your rescue dog has never been properly house trained in the first place. Putting newspaper down may have confused him and encouraged him to go in the house rather than waiting to go out. Bonfire night could have caused him to be anxious about going outside.

I would try retraining him as described above in post 2 making going outside a rewarding experience, if things don't improve I would not dismiss the possibility of a medical condition.
Timothy
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Minihaha Thank you for your advice I will try and re-train him as you suggest I don't really want to have to let him go as he is such a sweet little chap