Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Sciatica help

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to ease sciatica in my back?? It started yesterday afternoon and I've hardly been able to move since, haven't slept all night, it was that bad during the night we called NHS direct, they told me to take Ibruprofen, Paracetamol and to put a hot water bottle on the area.....which I did but it's really not helping at all. I have had this in the past, but no where near as bad as this, the pain is going down my right buttock, and all the way down my leg to my ankle, I spoke to my GP this morning and he said to continue with the tablets etc. and if it's not better in a couple of days to make an appointment where he would refer me for physio.

It is absolute agony!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Sorry CC I have no methods other than what your doing hun, Hope it eases soon , ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))) xxdk
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Pain killers is about it, I'm afraid. One tip, try sleeping on your back with a pillow under your knees. It relieves the pressure a bit. I manage to sleep like this if my back is bad. Hugs honey, I know exactly what you're going through x0x
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Get yourself to the osteopath asap!
Far far better than the nhs physios, trust me we've been there.
My friend and my OH had sciatica and it was only the osteo who sorted them.

I went o my osteo for my bad back again today and told her I was putting my heated teddy on my back and she said heat is not good as it increases the swelling and then the pain. Only use heat alternating with cold.

I pay £32 for a session with my osteo, and trust me it's worth it.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Pain killers is about it, I'm afraid. One tip, try sleeping on your back with a pillow under your knees. It relieves the pressure a bit. I manage to sleep like this if my back is bad. Hugs honey, I know exactly what you're going through x0x
Good advice, you certainly shouldn't have straight knees when on your back, as Vicki says it just increases the pressure.
The only other thing I can offer is to lie on your tummy, it gives your back it's natural curve. Works for me anyway.
Hope you feel better soon and have a better night tonight.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I fully sympathise with you as I know exactly how you feel. Other than taking Ibuprofen and Paracetomol TOGETHER , (I have been on maximum dose of both plus dihydrocodeine since November ) , try using an ice pack. Even if it is just a pack of frozen veg , wrap it in a damp cloth ( never put ice directly against your skin) , place it on your lower back and keep it there for 20 minutes. Leave it off for 1 hour and re-apply for 20 minutes. Do this as often as you can and get yourself an appointment to see a chiropracter or an osteopath. While waiting for your appointment , keep using the ice ans make sure you stay active. Even if you can only manage gentle walking , do it. Sitting around doing nothing will make the pain worse. If you use an ice pack , it is very important that you do not leave it on for longer than 20 minutes , and you must wait 1 full hour before using it again. The cold temperature from the ice can damage the tissue and make the pain worse if left on for too long. The effect the ice has is to reduce the inflamation of the sciatic nerve, which should reduce the pain. It is very important that you see someone about treatment. I have heard lots of people say they have sciatica , and their doctor has told them nothing can be done about it ! That is not true. Sciatica is a SYMPTOM caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve. Painkillers treat the symptoms but the pain will never go away unless you treat the CAUSE. I can only recommend a fully qualified registered chiropracter or osteopath to treat the cause of your pain. I have been in pain with sciatica since last April. It got unbearable in November so as well as my doctor , I went to see a chiropracter. He sent me for X-rays of my spine which show degeneration (osteoarthritis) of my lumbar vertebrae , facet joints and sacroiliac joint. He is keeping my spinal joints mobile by using specific exercises and adjustments (manipulation) , without this the degeneration would get worse and my spine would fuse. I also had an MRI scan which shows that I have a slipped disc. The disc is pressing on my sciatic nerve which is causing the pain I am in. Just now , I have to take 27 tablets a day for the pain. Because the sciatica has not improved in the last few months , I am to have surgery on my spine to cut away the part of the disc pressing on my sciatic nerve.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Get yourself a Memory Foam Mattress they are great for Sciatica, Arthritis and Osteoporosis. sufferers.

I bought one over a year ago and it was money well spent and I get a decent night's sleep.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 09:27 PM
I suffer a bad back and 11year's ago i went to the hopital for a x-ray, he told me it was wear and tear,well for heavens sake i said im 26 i want a second opinion, so my gp sent me for a mri it showed 2 prolasped disc's and surgery needed I was on crutches for 7 months before my op and now 5 year's since my op im still sore but knowere near the pain i was in, the surgeon said it will cure the pain im your leg's but not your back, he was right now im only in some pain now, but since then ive been diagnosed rhumatiod arthritis, and hip dyslasia not bad eh from one horse riding accident.