View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I must admit, having seen many of the tests on these Animal Planet programmes, nearly all my dogs would have failed!! We managed to get Guinness to eat with the others without the use of a rubber hand. I guess it gives some idea of the dogs possible temperament but I wouldn't like to rely on that alone.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Was this Atlas? If so he was rather extreme in his food guarding (he bit 2 fingers off that rubber hand!) but then I'd have expected that of a dog who'd been starved. I'm sure in the right home he could have been managed and/or worked with so that he didn't feel the need to guard his food like that. I guess the problem is finding that home where nobody is ever going to do something stupid and end up badly bitten.
No, the dog snarled but didnt bite the hand, he exhibited fear as well, which was sad. It was very moving.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 12:02 PM
That all sounds really sad
I guess dogs need to be assesed and if there is limited time and space then a system is needed but in reality it would prob be about as realistic just to put to sleep all the old black dogs and keep the pretty puppies

and Im really sad to hear of dogs being put to sleep because they dont fawn over strangers, many breeds take time to get to know people
Looks like both my dogs would be pts with these methods - Ben because he isnt all that interested in people he dosent know and Mia cos she would want to play with the rubber hand toy
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 12:05 PM
I can`t help feeling that this totally illogical test is for the benefit of their insurance. All it tests is the dogs` experience of humans. No dog is born bad.
Anyone who has taken a dog in from kennels has seen how behaviour changes with the surroundings.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
That all sounds really sad
I guess dogs need to be assesed and if there is limited time and space then a system is needed but in reality it would prob be about as realistic just to put to sleep all the old black dogs and keep the pretty puppies

and Im really sad to hear of dogs being put to sleep because they dont fawn over strangers, many breeds take time to get to know people
Looks like both my dogs would be pts with these methods - Ben because he isnt all that interested in people he dosent know and Mia cos she would want to play with the rubber hand toy
Yes, you have a point. Harvey can be reserved with strangers. Many times folk have expressed "how good" he is for a Boxer as he isnt over friendly when first meeti g like most are. Boxers being very people orientated you wonder how many reserved dogs would fail these type of tests
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Went to one of her workshops in Sheffield. Was totally unimpressed with the assessing system which was both illogical and unrealistic.

I was less than impressed when she advised that she wouldn't tell a prospective owner about a fairly obvious (when you know what to look for) HD problem if she deemed the dog to have passed her tests.

I think the most worrying thing I saw that day was the rescue workers attending who were hanging on her every word and buying equipment to allow them to carry out the tests themselves
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Went to one of her workshops in Sheffield. Was totally unimpressed with the assessing system which was both illogical and unrealistic.

I was less than impressed when she advised that she wouldn't tell a prospective owner about a fairly obvious (when you know what to look for) HD problem if she deemed the dog to have passed her tests.

I think the most worrying thing I saw that day was the rescue workers attending who were hanging on her every word and buying equipment to allow them to carry out the tests themselves
I agree with you, it is a worry - in fact its quite scary
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post

But then I have not yet discoveredm, on this forum, ANY behaviourist/trainer/scheme that you ARE impressed with Brierley.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2011, 01:10 PM
How rude

pot kettle and black springs to mind SB

you are notorious for telling everyone that you are great/qualified at this or that in superior way of criticising others.
oftentimes i read your posts, i picture a man comparing the size of his appendage; it's a carry on you bought over for that other now definct forum, whereby that seemd to be the predominant posting culture.

for the record i went to the first yr SS was in the UK at wood green
i found the system and tests lacking and of a nature that could create behaviour probs.
she did not factor into kennel stress nor cultural differences between the UK and USA situations.
she couldnt cope with difficult challenging questions either

i took her away her tests and altered them

disingenuous pointless smiley to follow:
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2011, 01:16 PM
For the record brierly

i too found quite a few wood green workers hanging onto her every word a bit like an idol thing....but wood green are known in the rescue world as having the most hardline euthanasia and/or assessment approach.

howeve rother rescue workers (like me and some battersea guys) were much more objective and questioning
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »