Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SweetLibby
New Member!
Female 

23-02-2011, 09:56 PM

Getting a chihuahua

So, we're getting a chihuahua next week. She's 8 m/o, spayed, healthy and housebroken. She's from a rescue.

Any advice on introducing a Chihuahua to a new family and caring for her is appreciated!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by SweetLibby View Post
So, we're getting a chihuahua next week. She's 8 m/o, spayed, healthy and housebroken. She's from a rescue.

Any advice on introducing a Chihuahua to a new family and caring for her is appreciated!
I am not an expert by any manner or means on Chihuahua's, but my daughter has one, Gucci, aged about 16 months. Daughter moved back home, with Gucci, about 6 months ago. We have 2 very large dogs, a Utonagan and a wolf cross, weighing 45 kilos and 40 kilos respectively, Gucci weighs 2. Number 1 piece of advice I think would have to be DON'T treat her like a human baby, she is a dog, don't dress her up, don't think she is a "lap dog" and cannot or must not go on long walks. Gucci does 5 miles a day with his big friends - probably a lot more than that, because he is up and down, up and down, chasing crows, gulls, rabbits, anything that takes his fancy. If your little girl is anything like Gucci, she will quite high-ranking and "firm" - you need to be strict with her, without destroying her spirit and personality. Treat her in the same way that you would a normal-sized dog - forget she is tiny, she is still a dog the same as a labrador, a Great Dane, a whatever. They are very intelligent dogs, very high prey drive (they were originally bred in Mexico for killing scorpions, so are tough little ******s!) and very loving, very good with children, and great little guard dogs. Having always thought that chihuahuas were horrible yappy little things that belonged on the end of your boot (metaphorically speaking ), I was very pleasantly surprised to find out what a spunky little guy Gucci is.

He is fed on raw meat and bones, the same as the big boys, he is muscly, slim and fit. Just treat your little girl the same as you would any dog, and she will be fine. Spoil her, pander to her, dress her up and she will be your stereotypical nasty, snappy, yappy little lap dog. I hope you have as great a time with her as we do with our Little Man, best of luck!!
SweetLibby
New Member!
Female 

23-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Gnasher- Ahhh.. Thank you so much! I have never been a fan of little yappy dogs but this has been a dream of our daughters for yrs and we're going to surprise her for her bday. We were wanting a family dog anyhow

I will sooo be following your advice. I want her to stay good tempered.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Hi I have a Chi. you will be surprised how strict you have to be with them, I don't let mine go on the sofa though he does try it on! He can be a total at times.
He does wear a waterproof coat during the winter but that's as far as it goes with the dressing up. He's fine when people come into the house but outside he's not keen on strangers going to stroke him he will growl but nothing further he's found a way of letting people know he doesn't want to be stroked.
He's very loving and playfull loves long walks but hates getting his feet wet, doesn't like other dogs always been the same since we got him off the breader at 3 months.
He loves visiting peoples houses makes his self at home straight away. He has been staying with my dad for 5 weeks while we were on a cruise, and was fine never went off his food or anything.
You will have fun with her but remember she's a dog not a baby, and mine preferes big toys like teddys the same size as him perhaps thats a dog thing, he does get protective over me.
Have fun.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm also no expert on Chis but I have Affenpinschers, which are similar in size, and I would totally agree with the advice you have been given with one little but....

Do remember that as they are small other dogs can appear overwhelming and threatening to them. That lovely juvenile Lab puppy "That just wants to play" bouncing all over your small dog could seriously annoy her. I really do think that some of the yappy feistyness of many small dogs is a defense mechanism....Of course, some of them are just badly trained little whatsits that have been spoiled all their lives!

Looking forward to seeing pics when you bring her home. What are you going to call her?

J.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by miz66 View Post
Hi I have a Chi. you will be surprised how strict you have to be with them, I don't let mine go on the sofa though he does try it on! He can be a total at times.

How true! Gucci was a little ******* when Holly first moved back home with him! He's better now, much better, but you are so right about the sofa - give a chihuahua half an inch, and they will take a yard!
He does wear a waterproof coat during the winter but that's as far as it goes with the dressing up. He's fine when people come into the house but outside he's not keen on strangers going to stroke him he will growl but nothing further he's found a way of letting people know he doesn't want to be stroked.

Gucci's fine with everyone, dogs, humans, horses, he says hello to everyone and everything. He has a tendency to growl or grumble if something is happening to him he doesn't like, but it is only noise, he never snaps

He's very loving and playfull loves long walks but hates getting his feet wet, doesn't like other dogs always been the same since we got him off the breader at 3 months.
He loves visiting peoples houses makes his self at home straight away. He has been staying with my dad for 5 weeks while we were on a cruise, and was fine never went off his food or anything.

Gucci's not so keen on getting his feet wet - I take him in the sea when it's warm enough in my arms, and he can swim, but doesn't like it much. He loves roaring through the rockpools, but occasionally comes a cropper when one is deep!

You will have fun with her but remember she's a dog not a baby, and mine preferes big toys like teddys the same size as him perhaps thats a dog thing, he does get protective over me.

Good advice! They are tough little beggars!
Have fun.
Excellent advice, so glad you have such fun with your Little Man too!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
I'm also no expert on Chis but I have Affenpinschers, which are similar in size, and I would totally agree with the advice you have been given with one little but....

Do remember that as they are small other dogs can appear overwhelming and threatening to them. That lovely juvenile Lab puppy "That just wants to play" bouncing all over your small dog could seriously annoy her. I really do think that some of the yappy feistyness of many small dogs is a defense mechanism....Of course, some of them are just badly trained little whatsits that have been spoiled all their lives!

Looking forward to seeing pics when you bring her home. What are you going to call her?

J.
Gucci is as tough as old boots. He gets frequently trodden on and bowled over by the big guys, but he just squeaks a bit and bounces back. If you don't make a fuss they are fine, so you are right, it is down to bad training and spoiled little dog syndrome. Gucci tended to be a bit of a sniveller when he first moved in, but he's fine now. He LOVES bouncy big boys, and gives as good as he gets. I am sure the OP is going to have a wonderful experience with her new little girl.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by SweetLibby View Post
Gnasher- Ahhh.. Thank you so much! I have never been a fan of little yappy dogs but this has been a dream of our daughters for yrs and we're going to surprise her for her bday. We were wanting a family dog anyhow

I will sooo be following your advice. I want her to stay good tempered.
How lovely, what a lovely mummy you are!! The little girl will be fine as long as you don't treat her like a delicate flower - they are awfully good at plucking your heart strings - it sounds like you are a very sensible lady, so the very best of luck. i am sure everyone would agree with me we would all love to see piccies!!