View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JessicaPaige
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Leg/Trouser Chasing, How to prevent/stop?

Hello, we have had our new puppy, Rosie, for nearly 3 days now. She has settled in great and has already established a great routine and is using the right spots to go 'toilet'. One issue we have is her chasing of our jeans/trouser legs when we are walking. Is this something she will grow out of? What do you suggest? Have any of you found this with a young pup
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-04-2010, 08:36 PM
It sound like play/prey drive behaviour.
I would carry a fun toy with you and before she starts to chase call her and show her the toy. When she's into the toy throw it or tug with her briefly then carry on walking

Adam
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:40 PM
I`d just stand still. If you do, she`ll get bored and stop - then praise her.
JessicaPaige
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks, I'll try to implement this
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Congratulations on your new pup.

Chasing trousers, flappy things, moving things, is definitely a puppy thing. and you are not alone there.

You need to divert your puppy onto suitable objects to chase, such as chew toys, ropes etc.

My pup went through a brief period of trying to grab jeans etc. Most important thing is to remain calm. Stop. Tell puppy No, firmly and calmly and then get them interested in an acceptable item to play with. Make the other object more fun then your clothing and reward profusely, with praise and treats. You will need to do this quite a lot until he gets the idea, but he will if you are firm fair and consistant.

Basically make the puppy toys fun and interesting, and the human clothes, boring and unexciting. He is desperate to have fun with everything, you just need to guide him in the right direction.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`d just stand still. If you do, she`ll get bored and stop - then praise her.
Hi Jessica I agree with Claire and as with a puppy which jumps up and grabs you I would not reward the behaviour with attention.
This means stand still/fold your arms out of the way/turn your back/no word no eye contact until the puppy is calm . When it is calm praise the behaviour.
Don't expect instance success, it takes patience and persistence but does work .
My last two puppies were great foot chasers and skirt hangers and gradually learnt not to do it.
Rayw
New Member!
Male 

19-04-2010, 05:10 AM
Hi All,
Very interesting comments, but how about this one?
My when my 10 month old border collie starts doing something or stealing something she is not allowed and I stop her or take away whatever it is, maybe a sock or my wife's knitting or wool or shoe or whatever. She looks at me and then nips me one or two times on my heel. It's almost as if she knows and is chastising ME for taking her illegal fun away.
HaHa.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Rayw View Post
Hi All,
Very interesting comments, but how about this one?
My when my 10 month old border collie starts doing something or stealing something she is not allowed and I stop her or take away whatever it is, maybe a sock or my wife's knitting or wool or shoe or whatever. She looks at me and then nips me one or two times on my heel. It's almost as if she knows and is chastising ME for taking her illegal fun away.
HaHa.
Will you think it`s funny when she bites you or your family when she full grown, I wonder? Swapping for one of her own toys would be preferable.
ginnylondon
New Member!
Female 

27-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Our puppy used to do this too - just stop moving every time she does it. When she learns that it is boring and it doesn't get attention from you, she'll stop. It may take weeks or even months, but it will eventually stop!
mariasmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2010, 09:26 AM
this brings back memories once my dog as a young pup rounded all 3 of my children up, every time they tried to move he nipped their ankles.what we did was to distract the dog away from this behaviour either by squeeking a dog toy or carrying puppy biscuits in our pockets making him sit for them.dont worry this stage will pass.