Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
My only communication with this lady is what I've quoted.

But I can certainly explain how it would work in theory (as I understand it).

The way electric dog fences work is that a wire is placed around the boundary to create a circuit. There is no electricity in the fence itself.

An electric collar (shock, spray, vibration) typically works in conjunction with a hand held remote control. The handler uses the remote control to cause the electric collar to 'fire' - that means deliver a shock, spray a substance or vibrate.

Electric shock collars are traditionally used with a fence system. Instead of the electric shock collar firing when the handler hits the button on the remote, it fires when the dog comes into close proximity with the fence wire. There is no technical reason why a vibrating or spraying collar shouldn't be used with a fence system.

But would it work? This is where I think we need more information - information that the study will hopefully provide. Is it pain and fear that makes the electric shock collar work? Or is it as many claim just the distraction or negative marker? If the latter, then mild electric stimulation, vibration or spray could be used just as effectively.

I guess the key thing will be to find out for sure whether it's true that with modern devices the dog only feels a very gentle tickling sensation. Is there something specific about that tickling sensation or would vibration/spray/sound work just as well?
Scarter...at this point I am wondering if you are for real.
Do you really think that if a dog was in pursuit of a rabbit...a tickle would stop it going over a boundary?

The reason efences work is because a dog receives a correction... a warning beep or vibration and then a correction. The dog learns to avoid a certain area because of the correction (not a tickle a correction, a shock). The initial correction can be increased if a dog ignores it or decreased once the dog associates the boundary with the correction,thus some people will tell you that the collar only beeps or vibrates. In the initial training the collar would shock the dog.

I have to admit, I am becoming a little tired of you playing with words.
You have yet to post a link to the government study that YOU initially claimed outlind that ecollars were not cruel...then you said it was 50/50...now you can't remember the figures.
You tell us you know one person who has a containment fence that works on vibration, a tickle infact,yet there is no link, no evidence nothing.
You speak a lot but never seem able to back your speech and rhetoric up with concerete evidence.
Until such time as you do it is all pie in the sky and I am becoming tired of it.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Yes, I agree that DEFRA are talking about shock collars only. I'm pretty sure they are specifically excluding electric fences from the study (can anyone confirm?).

Sorry to confuse you. The point is that this thread is about Electric Fences. My point is that there is a lot of confusion over terminology.

Some 'anti' posters to this thread think that an electric dog fence is the same thing as an electric stock fence.

Others think that all shock collars are painful. Yet there are lots of claims to the contrary - I have in fact felt one that really did give just a mild tickle.

And it would seem from one person that I've quoted that there is a type of electric fence available that doesn't even deliver an electric shock (it might not be true, but worth knowing more about I think). I know that vibration, sound and spray collars are available. There is no technical reason why these shouldn't be used in conjunction with an electric fence - the are after all types of electric collar that are commonly used with a remote control. If these devices are indeed available for use with electric fences then I think some people might change their mind about whether electric fences are cruel.

So to clarify - I don't think DEFRA are looking at electric fences or at shock collars used in conjunction with electric fences. I think they are specifically looking at shock collars used with remote devices. But hopefully as a result of this we'll have more clarity over the whole issue. For example, what makes the shock collars harmful to dogs (assuming it is harmful)? Is it pain? If so, then is painless stimulation - such as a mild static shock, vibration or spray OK?

With any luck, the study will result in manufacturers taking on board the findings and producing equipment and training programs that result in all the positive results we hear about without risk and suffering.
It's OK, the only thing I'm confused about is how an electric perimiter fence can work if it does not administer a shock. On what basis does it work?

Actually, maybe I'm confused about two things, as I don't apper to be able to find and electric perimiter fences for sale that work on vibration only.

Or maybe I'm not confused at all...

There are invisible fences that work using a collar and then there are the visible fences which don't. My understanding is that the study will focus on electric shock collars and as they are used as a training aid with regard to these fences, enabling the learning of a boundary, they will be included, whereas the electric fences that are visible (like the ones used for stock, with metallic tape and a battery connected) will not be. Either way, I would hope there will be implcations for all devices which shock domestic dogs as a result.

And sorry to refer to government intervention with regard to electric shock devices on this thread, but you were the first to allude to a government study on "into this" which you have yet to provide a reference for.

This is something that I've wondered about too.

We have Beagles and whilst keeping them contained in the garden is no problem, off-lead they are a nightmare and every time I let them off-lead I put their lives at risk. Yet they are a breed that is born to run free. We have a huge meadow that they go to that is pretty safe, but we're struggling to keep them in it. Most of the time they are very good (due to a HUGE training effort) but we simply can't get them to stay in sight all the time. Rather than an electric fence I wondered about using a shock collar with a remote to teach them not to go out of the meadow.

I recently met someone that used a shock collar and they let me feel the shock. It's a tickle. Really not at all unpleasant or painful. NOTHING like the electric fences used to contain horses/cattle - now that IS painful! Many people have a knee jerk reaction against the use of electricity, but consider that the tens machine (used to alleviate pain) does so by delivering small electric shocks. It was explained to me that it's not meant as a punishment but rather a negative marker. Of course, some people consider any kind of negative marker to be cruel - even use of the word 'no'.

I've heard from lots of people that have used electric fences successfully to contain Beagles (and other breeds). Most tell me that the dog only ever got one or two shocks and simply learned never to go near the boundary again.

My mind is certainly open to it although I'd want to talk in-depth to someone that is experienced at using them first.

For what it's worth, the government conducted a study into this and their finding was that there was no evidence to suggest they were cruel and that many people were using them successfully to improve the lives of their dogs (make them safer, give them more freedom etc).
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:37 PM
My only communication with this lady is what I've quoted.

But I can certainly explain how it would work in theory (as I understand it).

The way electric dog fences work is that a wire is placed around the boundary to create a circuit. There is no electricity in the fence itself.

An electric collar (shock, spray, vibration) typically works in conjunction with a hand held remote control. The handler uses the remote control to cause the electric collar to 'fire' - that means deliver a shock, spray a substance or vibrate.

Electric shock collars are traditionally used with a fence system. Instead of the electric shock collar firing when the handler hits the button on the remote, it fires when the dog comes into close proximity with the fence wire. There is no technical reason why a vibrating or spraying collar shouldn't be used with a fence system.

But would it work? This is where I think we need more information - information that the study will hopefully provide. Is it pain and fear that makes the electric shock collar work? Or is it as many claim just the distraction or negative marker? If the latter, then mild electric stimulation, vibration or spray could be used just as effectively.

I guess the key thing will be to find out for sure whether it's true that with modern devices the dog only feels a very gentle tickling sensation. Is there something specific about that tickling sensation or would vibration/spray/sound work just as well?
I don't mean the circuit - I mean the concept with regard to training a dog not to cross the boundary. Sorry, perhaps I should have been more clear. Does the lady you have spoken to know why they work? Is it a type of conditioning? Magic?

If a little tickle works, then I'd be pretty interested in one of these, but alas, they don't appear to be for sale. All the ones I can find offer after a warning beep then shocks, which get progressivley stronger until the dog gets back within the boundary - no tickles or vibrations mentioned.

The only electronic device I've seen used was an electric collar - it had a few settings, and the lesser ones were used as a reminder but weren't sufficient to 'train' with as the reward of chasing was greater than the consquence - dogs are canny and are quite capable of weighing things up!

I also found this lovely snippet:

Check the batteries regularly to ensure the collar is working properly. Batteries that run too low can either be ineffective or can even shock the dog for no reason.
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4524475_us...-dog.html?cr=1

Hope they're lying.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I don't mean the circuit - I mean the concept with regard to training a dog not to cross the boundary. Sorry, perhaps I should have been more clear. Does the lady you have spoken to know why they work? Is it a type of conditioning? Magic?

If a little tickle works, then I'd be pretty interested in one of these, but alas, they don't appear to be for sale. All the ones I can find offer after a warning beep then shocks, which get progressivley stronger until the dog gets back within the boundary - no tickles or vibrations mentioned.

The only electronic device I've seen used was an electric collar - it had a few settings, and the lesser ones were used as a reminder but weren't sufficient to 'train' with as the reward of chasing was greater than the consquence - dogs are canny and are quite capable of weighing things up!

I also found this lovely snippet:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4524475_us...-dog.html?cr=1

Hope they're lying.
classic...just classic

As for the last part, I suspect they are not lying.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Just bobbing in quickly here but I think it may not be agood idea to start calling all electronic devices/equipment "electric collars" as it does cloud the issue.

Most do not see spray collars etc as "electric collars" (ie, shock collars).

To most, electric collar = shock collar and that is how it's always been referred to and it's understood what the meaning is.

I don't think this should be altered for this thread, as otherwise it will get confusing!

Sorry, JMO but i think it's a valid point?

Wys
x
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:55 PM
No probs Bramble - I'll skip over you posts in an attempt not to aggravate you further

Originally Posted by mse2ponder
It's OK, the only thing I'm confused about is how an electric perimiter fence can work if it does not administer a shock. On what basis does it work?
Hopefully the study will shed some light on that. As many claim in defence of shock collars that they only use very mild, painless stimulation I'm sure the study will look into that and see if it's true. And if it's true that a gentle tickle does indeed work then it makes sense that vibration only, sound and other such markers would work just as well.

There are invisible fences that work using a collar and then there are the visible fences which don't. My understanding is that the study will focus on electric shock collars and as they are used as a training aid with regard to these fences, enabling the learning of a boundary, they will be included, whereas the electric fences that are visible (like the ones used for stock, with metallic tape and a battery connected) will not be. Either way, I would hope there will be implcations for all devices which shock domestic dogs as a result.
I'm not sure. I got the impression that a lot of people consider electric shock fences used to contain dogs are considered acceptable. The use of these weren't challenged so the study wasn't to include them. It was just the use of shock collars used with remotes.

From quotes that you made earlier:

On the basis of the evidence we have received, we do not oppose the use of these devices to contain dogs within a particular area without the need for fences. However, we emphasise that this is very much a preliminary view; we would certainly seek to hear further evidence on this issue before taking a view on any future draft regulations seeking to control this area.
The call invited proposals for studies to assess the effect of specific electronic pet training aids (excluding electric fences) on the welfare of dogs.
And I've got the same impression from other places too. I *think* the reason that a lot of anti-shock-collar people are OK with using these devices in conjunction with an invisible fence is because the dog can be quickly and easily trained to avoid the fence thus avoiding the shock. I've also seen studies that suggest that the stress caused by shock collars is pretty much eliminated if the dog is able to figure out how to avoid the shock. But hopefully this is something else the study will make clear.

And sorry to refer to government intervention with regard to electric shock devices on this thread, but you were the first to allude to a government study on "into this" which you have yet to provide a reference for.
Nothing to apologise for. I think the government study is highly relevant in this discussion. But that's only part of it. The thread is about 'electric fences' - a wider subject than is covered by the study so it's valid to talk about the wider issues too. That's all.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-11-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't think there is too much rocket science involved. The shock part (or spray) has to be unpleasant to the animal for it to deter it from wishing to repeat the experience. The important thing is that the animal makes the link between the unpleasant experience and the action which is deemed by the human handler to be undesirable. This is akin aversion therapy.

The problem with remotely operated shock collars is very different from that of e-fences. With the e-fence the proximity sensor is consistent; so the dog has the opportunity to learn. With the e-collar it is dependent on the human operator to deliver the punishment at precisely the right moment that the dog can make the link to the undesired action. Unfortunately humans being what they are can be unreliable in their precision and can shock the animal at completely the wrong moment causing confusion. That is the reason to NOT use them.

A visible electric (stock) fence works well enough in my experience. If the animal goes near the fence and you shout a no command in a low voice and they ignore you and get a belt then they should learn the second time not to do it; just like the child told not to touch the hot stove or they will get burnt but they do it anyway. Animals are designed to learn from experience. I am very careful what fences I touch when out on a walk!

I have heard of faulty collars delivering random shocks; in one case the dog attacked a behaviourist as they entered the house; the attack was attributed to the faulty collar. The dog was destroyed.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Some of the previously given links clarify a few issues as to what is being looked at, why and when. I posted one for the consultations, and what was being looked at, and one for the study which explained what was being looked at...

Very helpful, I was

'Ere we go, this is the study one:

(Haven' t checked fully as not looked at this for several months and the info has been altered, but I believe the study is this one) :

http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Default.as...32#Description

Wys
x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Just to put my position forward - as it seems there are lots of points of view

I am against e- collars and anything that provides and electric current onto the skin of the animal

I am against vibrating collars, training disks, bottles filled with stones and anything that is used to startle or 'snap a dog out of it'

I suppose if a gentle gentle vibration is used for a deff dog only to teach it its owner is calling it then that could be positive - but the temptation for many people would be to pump up the vibration if the dog was ignoring - rather than teaching a propper recal

and yes all these corrective collars can go wrong - my poor friends dog was wearing a spray collar and she was lieing nicely being petted when the collar went off and she was repeatedly sprayed - he was v lucky she didnt attack him

So if it happens with a spray then it can happen with a shock.

AFAIK the way the e fences with collars work is there is a warning beep, vibrate, noise or little shock and then if the dog keeps going then it is shocked at a higher level - it learns quickly that the inital warning will be followed by the shock and backs off (or freezes and collapses on the ground) in FEAR of the bigger shock

People say the collar isnt shocking - cos it dosent need to - the dog has learnt that the noise is followed by the shock

And from what we know about dog training if they can associate a click with nice things comming and the click make them happy then they can associate the beep with a shock comming and learn to be scared when they hear the beep

I dont consider teaching fear as a way to increase my dogs quality of life
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
one other thing about electric shocks is that individual people (and presumably individual dogs) have varying sensitivity to electric shocks.

Although I've never played with an electric shock collar, I've played with various shock gadgets including one that is supposed to stop snoring and you can choose the shock level.

Several of us passed it round and there was a huge variation in the levels at which individuals found the shock uncomfortable/painful.

now a human can tell you exactly how bad or otherwise a shock is to them, but how would a dog do this? Yes, if it screams you can work out that the shock hurt it, but if it doesn't scream, does it mean that it isn't hurt?
Page 16 of 21 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »