Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:13 PM

I'm getting rats!

Friend of mine has 4 rats she is giving away and hubby said that we can take them on. They come with a massive cage, a years supply of food and beds

So just have to think of names for them all. New names for new home, ideas?

Also, I think this was asked not long ago but what's the best way to go about getting them used to being handled after being moved to ours.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Wohoo! We're gonna have to call it Ratsey soon. Are they boys or girls?

Leave them to settle for a day or so and offer them some tasty treats from your hand and talk to them so they know your voice and smell. Have they been handled much before?
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Wohoo! We're gonna have to call it Ratsey soon. Are they boys or girls?

Leave them to settle for a day or so and offer them some tasty treats from your hand and talk to them so they know your voice and smell. Have they been handled much before?
Boys I think, and not sure re handling. I know the lady that had them wasn't so keen on handling them. So not too sure.

What's this about clicker training, does that work with rats too?
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2010, 06:25 PM
With all the rats we have had, to be honest, they are usually pretty quick to tame because they are just too nosey to miss out. The only time it has taken longer is with the red eye rats. They just need a little more care on approach as their eyesight is not so good. I love the boys too as they are really chilled and love to snuggle on the back of your neck. The girls seem to be more active. I haven't tried clicker training any of ours but have heard it is easy to do. They are very bright so I would imagine it would be very easy.

When are you getting them?
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Hopefully I'm getting them over the weekend, unfortunately the lady concerned is out tonight so can't go get them tonight and i'm off to Inverness tomorrow with the wee man for his birthday so probably tomorrow night or Sunday
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Oh smashing more rats so many people with good taste on this forum

I'd wait until you get them to name them something may just pop into your head.

For handling tips llok at this thread

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=120387

And pics of course
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Gonna have to agree with Aliwin. This place is now called Ratsey! Wonder why so many of us dog fans love rats as well. I have 2 dumbos and they wernt used to being handles when i got them. Just start slowly and stroke them and get them used to your voice. You normally find that once you've got hold of them, they calm down. Good luck with your new rattys. Looking forward to some pics!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Yay

Get a ratbag and wear them when you are watching TV etc

Any idea what variety they are?
I clicker train mine - mainly for agility but also to fetch and to step back when I close the cage and some will spin and walk on their back legs - not all rats are foodies but if you have one who likes treats then clicker training a ratty is exactly the same as clicker training a dog
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Well they have arrived. Oh dear, two of them don't look so great, bit patchy, almost like dry skin. Poor wee things, any recommendations? Also they really stink, is that normal? I suspect that the lady concerned didn't bother with them.

Also the cage has wire on the bottom, is this bad for them?

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to do the best for them.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Glad they have arrived Are they scratching a lot as that could mean mites but that's very easy to treat.

As for smell may well be the cage once it's had a good clean it should improve.

It's in the back of my mind that wire floors aren't a great idea but wait for a rat guru to come along

What colour are they and are they topears or dumbo. If you tell me you have a black hoodie dumbo I'm going into a MEGA strop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >