View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 12:10 PM
When foxes go into a killing frenzy it is not a choice , they don't think " I'm going to kill all the ones I don't want to eat just to be horrible "
I have had guinea pigs all my life and I live in an area where there are a lot of foxes and I have never had one killed by a fox because they were put away securely at night .
When humans go on a killing frenzy eg shooting pheasants it is a choice . Most of the time the humans don't even want to eat the things they shoot
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
When foxes go into a killing frenzy it is not a choice , they don't think " I'm going to kill all the ones I don't want to eat just to be horrible "
I have had guinea pigs all my life and I live in an area where there are a lot of foxes and I have never had one killed by a fox because they were put away securely at night .
When humans go on a killing frenzy eg shooting pheasants it is a choice . Most of the time the humans don't even want to eat the things they shoot
That's my point exactly
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You have a lot of dogs that are out and about too, not in kennels or locked inside, accounts for a HUGE amount. My sister had no chickens taken when her dogs were on chains running the length of the yard, but when they came to live in the barns at night, chickens were taken, and in large numbers, it took the Foxes just a couple weeks to work out they could go on the rampage "safely".

Yes seen this too. Behind us at work its happened, as they were being born prematurely due to stress of being chased by Foxes, one Lamb was literally "pulled" from its mother, it was found beheaded, a usual thing for a Fox to do.

Not every one, but 99% are, and its far more humane than trapping, snaring, gassing and poisoning that oftena dn frequently kill other species including pet dogs.

Interesting though that there have been fox footprints in the snow right in front of the dogs kennels when they are chained for the night I agree though that the dogs probably do deter the foxes ... although if they were determined to get our chickens, they could get into the run from the 8 foot fence that backs on to the hill - no dogs there. I guess the fact I live on a keepered estate probably also plays a part.

I don't think I said that foxes never take lambs did I? I apologise if that is the way it came across, as I know they can and do take lambs. However, in all the years my hubby has been shepherding in different parts of the Lake District and rural Scotland (and he lambs most of his sheep on the hill), he has only really had a fox problem in one area. This was basically because there was nothing else for the fox to eat. He allowed for foxes to take one or two, but when more than that were taken, he and his boss (who was skilled with a gun) waited for the particular fox who was being a pest and shot him. That kind of control I have no problem with.

Totally agree that trapping, snaring, gassing and poisoning are totally inhumane. I can't stand any of those methods I would still prefer to see skilled marksmen employed purely for taking out any fox who is being a consistent pest.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry you had to deal with that Luke, the same has happened to my friend... Mr fox , left a carnage of bits around after his killing spree.

Don't tell me they only kill for food and to stock up on supplies....

Those who have had experience of the fox, know different!!

He is not a fluffy cute puppy, he is a expert/indiscriminant killer .
Regarding foxes going on a killing frenzy - all vulpines will kill in this manner when faced with what is a completely unnatural situation for them - loads of birds, rabbits, etc in one place such as a coop or pen. It does not make them evil - it is just a natural behaviour. I wonder how many dogs would also go on the same kind of frenzy if they got in an enclosure full of rabbits or chickens.

Studies have been made on the red fox in this country, and it was found that many foxes do cache food in different places to come back to later.

I would recommend reading "Running with the Fox" by David Macdonald to anyone (pro or anti foxes) who is interested in fox behaviour.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by melzy View Post
but man is going to kill the chickens and lambs for his tea! a fox cant go to tesco can it
What a ridiculous statement!

Originally Posted by melzy View Post
We Dont Own Animals We Just Share The Earth With Them
Take a look at the dog at your feet, do you own it, or just share your house with it??
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Regarding foxes going on a killing frenzy - all vulpines will kill in this manner when faced with what is a completely unnatural situation for them - loads of birds, rabbits, etc in one place such as a coop or pen. It does not make them evil - it is just a natural behaviour. I wonder how many dogs would also go on the same kind of frenzy if they got in an enclosure full of rabbits or chickens.

Studies have been made on the red fox in this country, and it was found that many foxes do cache food in different places to come back to later.

I would recommend reading "Running with the Fox" by David Macdonald to anyone (pro or anti foxes) who is interested in fox behaviour.
Thats not true Kirsty. It is perfectly natural to a Fox to kill everything it finds, including all members of a nest it may find, the entire egg stash of a Bird etc.. all memebers of any small mammal family etc.. They NEVER just take one, their NATURE is to kill as much as they can. A coop full of chickens isnt unnatural to a Fox at all, if it was it wouldnt behave in a natural way whilst in there, they dont have conscious thinking, they kill because thats what they do.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Interesting though that there have been fox footprints in the snow right in front of the dogs kennels when they are chained for the night I agree though that the dogs probably do deter the foxes ... although if they were determined to get our chickens, they could get into the run from the 8 foot fence that backs on to the hill - no dogs there. I guess the fact I live on a keepered estate probably also plays a part.

I don't think I said that foxes never take lambs did I? I apologise if that is the way it came across, as I know they can and do take lambs. However, in all the years my hubby has been shepherding in different parts of the Lake District and rural Scotland (and he lambs most of his sheep on the hill), he has only really had a fox problem in one area. This was basically because there was nothing else for the fox to eat. He allowed for foxes to take one or two, but when more than that were taken, he and his boss (who was skilled with a gun) waited for the particular fox who was being a pest and shot him. That kind of control I have no problem with.

Totally agree that trapping, snaring, gassing and poisoning are totally inhumane. I can't stand any of those methods I would still prefer to see skilled marksmen employed purely for taking out any fox who is being a consistent pest.
Since Foot and Mouth, the land behind the kennels as been changed from livestock to arable. We now have Fox mess in the dog exercising paddock and inside the small gravel area right outside TWO kennel blocks! They also come into the orchard and back garden, they never used to. The Foxes are not controlled like they were, now we are seeing mange ridden animals behaving very unatural and in a very sorry state, we even see them scrounging during the day. The fact they are not controlled properly here now has meant they are suffering terribly for it, long drawn out deaths, starving and full of mange. We deal with the ones that cause us the most problems, but the poor things have hit hard times with the ban and in this case also with Foot and Mouth meaning the farmer changing from livestock to crop.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Two, they would die out , if we did not intervene with endangered species.
That is an admirable sentiment, but it does rather overlook the fact that we humans are largely to blame for their endangered status, in the first place.

Snorri
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thats not true Kirsty. It is perfectly natural to a Fox to kill everything it finds, including all members of a nest it may find, the entire egg stash of a Bird etc.. all memebers of any small mammal family etc.. They NEVER just take one, their NATURE is to kill as much as they can. A coop full of chickens isnt unnatural to a Fox at all, if it was it wouldnt behave in a natural way whilst in there, they dont have conscious thinking, they kill because thats what they do.
In my statement, I didn't mean to say they would only take one - I just meant the *frenzy* comes into it when faced with a number of their prey animals in one enclosed place. I do agree the fox will also take all eggs in a nest, or kill all members in a nest etc. I do believe this is to cache for later though. As it is natural behaviour for the fox to kill in this way though, can he be blamed for it? I do understand the need, in certain cases, for foxes to be controlled - especially in the scenario you mention in your other post, where foxes are riddled with mange etc, but I just cannot agree with persecution to extinction
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Kirsty NOBODY has ever said the Fox is to blame, but they must be controlled, if they were destroying your livlihood you wouldnt think twice, but you dont have a problem and Im pleased for you. You know yourself if something in your line of work is not working correctly or is broken, you fix it, if the dog doesnt do its job you replace it, if the Fox kills your chickens or lambs you shoot it!
Page 10 of 94 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 60 > Last »