View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2008, 11:30 AM

Credit crunch - how many have switched to cheaper dog food?

How many of us have switched to a cheaper brand/source of dog food because we're feeling the pinch?

Has this changed anyone's view on the more expensive brands? (e.g. Have you switched to a cheaper brand and now wonder whether buying the more expensive one was a waste of money?)

If you won the lottery or were given a substantial pay rise, would you then switch back to the more expensive food again, or are you satisfied with the cheaper option?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Humm....switched to tescos value myself...dogs are still eating the same !
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 11:42 AM
have to say i have just been off sick for 6 weeks after my wrist operation i did buy a bag of wagg from asda to see me through till payday ...the girls coats are very dull and all were constipated so i have gone back to the usual brand despite the cost
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I feed raw so it's pretty cheap anyway I haven't changed and don't plan too (and I'm a poor student )
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 12:00 PM
A false economy, in my experience. Having found a food that my dogs are fit and healthy on, changing would be asking for trouble IMO.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Mine have always had chappie....not sure how cheap cheap that is but we buy in bulk as our shop over the road gets me 12 x 1250gm tins from the warehouse and charges us £6.78 so x that by three dogs I suppose it's cheap. But we get 4 cases a time. Plus they have certain scraps off our plates, they all have glossy coats and no POO troubles so I'll stick to that
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2008, 12:12 PM
I feed raw and find its better value and better for them than tinned food.they do have biscuits as well though, and I buy Harringtons because they like them, and they happen to be cheap.But the main thing is they are both looking good on it,it costs more to feed the cats than the dogs because they won't eat raw meat and cat food is more expensive.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I changed a few months ago, partly because I like to rotate their food but also when I looked at buying more AG I found it had gone up from £30 to £40 and that just seemed too big a hike.

If I thought it was worth the difference, I would be happy to pay it, but as I have seen no change in my dogs on the cheaper food, I don't see the point.

I will continue to stick with foods that are artificial-free though.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Well my pair are still on the same food but i think we will move Ela onto a cheaper food when she is older and is off the puppy. Just because she has some much raw food and 'extras' it seems a waste to spend £40 on the dry.

Again though will spend time finding a good food thats artificial-free and not tested on animals.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Mine have always had chappie....not sure how cheap cheap that is but we buy in bulk as our shop over the road gets me 12 x 1250gm tins from the warehouse and charges us £6.78 so x that by three dogs I suppose it's cheap. But we get 4 cases a time. Plus they have certain scraps off our plates, they all have glossy coats and no POO troubles so I'll stick to that
Same here and if it cost twice the price I'd still be using it! I mix mine with frozen minced rabbit or cooked chicken, but I'm only concerned with what comes out the other end, not the price. I'd have to make sacrifices elsewhere before it affected my dogs I'm afraid. We've done the baked bean diet before now too, when the horse had the best food going!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »