Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 01:04 PM

Cookers/Hob/Range/Oven Advice Please

The other week we left a ring on on our ceramic hob and it all cracked. Now every time I use it it cracks some more and I think it's starting to crumble!

So I need a new one. I have a separate double oven thing which also needs replacing because it's dying too.

So what is best? I'm thinking of a separate hob and oven again, but considering other options like all-in-ones, ranges etc.

For the hob itself I was thinking about changing to gas but what about these induction hobs - are they good too? Which is more economical and easiest to use.

The whole kitchen itself needs replacing actually because it's falling apart, but that's another post .
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 05:58 PM
hello again...

well i have a gas range which i love - its great got two ovens, and 7 gas rings,. only thing is its a bu**er to clean !!! takes ages

However my mum has an induction thing and really likes it - i still prefer my gas !!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi Dani

I had gas before and loved it, but it was hard to keep clean. The induction ones look very easy to keep clean, don't they?
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I wish i could get another gas cooker, i have a halogen cooker and hate it, takes ages compared to gas and any spills or marks are terrible to clean.
Luckily I hate cooking and try to avoid it all costs!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I just wanted to ask this question again as I am still thinking about it 6 months on .

Does anyone use an induction hob?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hello again...

well i have a gas range which i love - its great got two ovens, and 7 gas rings,. only thing is its a bu**er to clean !!! takes ages

However my mum has an induction thing and really likes it - i still prefer my gas !!!
Dito.. I have a gas range.. two ovens... 5 gas rings.. bread/plate warmer..

but its a ****** to clean...as you say
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I have a stainless steel Philips Whirlpool Hob and Double Oven, the bottom one is a fan oven. Solid rings on the hob, dead easy to clean, have had stuff boil over in the oven and it has cleaned really easy.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2008, 02:37 PM
hiya

My mum is still liking her induction hob, however you have to buy special pots as you can only use stainless steel or aluminium - cant remember which one actually or maybe its copper bottom? oh anyway you can only use one type of pot on it and it irritates my mum no end as she had to go and buy brand new pots and cant get all the ones she likes in the right metal. She has 2 gas rings beside her induction hob too though !! so quite often she cooks on the gas and not the induction>... which defeats the purpose.

Was that helpful - probably not but there you go ! LOL
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
The other week we left a ring on on our ceramic hob and it all cracked. Now every time I use it it cracks some more and I think it's starting to crumble!

So I need a new one. I have a separate double oven thing which also needs replacing because it's dying too.

So what is best? I'm thinking of a separate hob and oven again, but considering other options like all-in-ones, ranges etc.

For the hob itself I was thinking about changing to gas but what about these induction hobs - are they good too? Which is more economical and easiest to use.

The whole kitchen itself needs replacing actually because it's falling apart, but that's another post .
check your home insurance. mine will pay for a new ceramic ho if it gets broken.

dont know about induction hobs. my new range is being fitted soon.