Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-02-2008, 12:00 AM

Skye just in from the pub!

Every other Sunday night or so - I'll take one of the dogs to the local for a pint. Sunday's are quiet and Brian (the landlord) loves his dogs providing they are well behaved.

It tends to be Skye or Fingal as Breagh is still a bit 'frisky' but tonight was Skye's turn.

We went through the usual routine - quick walk first to ensure he's done his business then arrived at about 10:15.

I ordered my pint and Skyes mini Cheddars, told him where to lie by the bar and he sat down. Normally Skye will just lie by my feet waiting for the 'rustle from above' then sit up nice and gentle for a mini cheddar.

Tonight however was different. Brian 'rustled' the packet as he likes to do and Skye stood up and put his feet on the bar. Now this is a big NO NO in my book but Brian just gave him a big snuggly hug over the bar and told him he was his big special boy.

Now I'm not sure if Skye suddenly felt 'allowed' due to the fuss Brian gave him or if he was very hungry but he kept standing up on his hind legs for a mini cheddar. Eventually I made Skye realise I didn't want his feet on the bar as it would be unfair on Skye if Brian didn't like it on a busier night at a later date and got a row.

I comprimised and allowed him to stand tall and put his feet on my lap (tall bar stool) which was nice.

Brian then gave him some Pork Scratchings and he's trotted home 'proud as punch', I'm sure he's off telling Fingal all about it as i speak. I swear he feels 'special'.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 12:03 AM
That's so sweet Phil
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2008, 12:03 AM
fingal is going to be mad, sounds like a good night though.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Trixy View Post
That's so sweet Phil
It is.

I LOVE taking any of them out on their own (especially a quick trip to the pub) as they get to meet people, and from a social point of view - it not only does the 'one I take' the world of good but it's important that the two I leave behind get used to that fact that they have to share 'special time'.

Fingal is the star though when it comes to the pub. Skye is fine if it's quiet as he can be a bit unsure of himself. There's been a few times when I've arrived (with dog)expecting it to be quiet and been faced with a very busy pub. If it's Skye, I'll have a very quick half and come home as he doesn't settle unless it's calm. Fingal on the other hand has been known to snore very loudly on very busy nights. Spaniel confidence I guess !

Breagh is just learning and i'll see how it goes.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
fingal is going to be mad, sounds like a good night though.
Fingal is happy regardless. When he goes to the pub he tends to either snore loudly or just sit there wondering if he could manage a game of pool
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Fingal is happy regardless. When he goes to the pub he tends to either snore loudly or just sit there wondering if he could manage a game of pool
that or poker(like the paintings)

I wish I could take mine but they would probably get banned.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 12:23 AM
So does that mean you just back from the pub as well.....I'll expect perfect gramer and spelling, (Im just back from the pub as well Shhhhhh)
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
that or poker(like the paintings)

I wish I could take mine but they would probably get banned.
We have a nice counrty local here. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of taking them into a busy 'chain' pub - not that they would be allowed.

It's like anything, if it's something they're used to, they'll do you proud.

I remember my last Springer (Beau) who I left now and then to visit Karen in Scotland. My dad would walk him all the time but on the rare occasion he'd be walking past certain 'establishments' he'd suddenly get pulled towards the door.

Hmm - must be the food smells
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
So does that mean you just back from the pub as well.....I'll expect perfect gramer and spelling, (Im just back from the pub as well Shhhhhh)
I'm not to baaaad