Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2013, 01:04 PM

Leaving Fred alone

I am going to UK next week, taking Fred with me and staying at my sons house.
I will be spending a day with mother in law shopping and Fred will be alone for about 5 hours.
Thing is at 2 years old he has NEVER been alone, if i go out its only for 1 or 2 hours and he has the grumpy mini pin to keep him compâny. Is there any advice you would give me to make sure he is ok.
I am worried that he might cry/fret, i dont think he is allowed in shops in the UK is he?
Thank you
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Grumpy min pin? I am shielding my min pin's eyes from this lol!

Bit late I know but I'd start leaving him EVERY DAY from now on for a little longer each day so it doesn't come as a shock separation in a strange place.

Say and do the same things every time you leave and be calm when you come back. Don't let it become a drama on your return.

You could start right now!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 01:32 PM
I echo that try and get him used to it a bit before you go.

And you are right only shops I see allow dogs is pets at home stores. You can take them into some pubs and sit outside cafes etc though.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Fill a couple of Kongs before you go to keep him occupied.
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Thank you, i have kongs so will take it with me, i did try and take grumpy out alone but Fred really cried like a baby, iv'e spoilt him, but thats what dogs are for LOL
metaldog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2013, 08:14 PM
If he's not used to be left alone you could see if there's a dog sitter or kennels in the area who will take him for a day so you wouldn't have to worry about him being by himself.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by metaldog View Post
If he's not used to be left alone you could see if there's a dog sitter or kennels in the area who will take him for a day so you wouldn't have to worry about him being by himself.
Oh my, if he's only similar like mine, better leaving him alone for 5 hours, than giving him to any strangers