Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-05-2009, 05:09 PM

Snakes are out; my dog got bitten.

My big cross bred dog just got bitten by an adder. Its quite a hot day and I heard a fuss, went outside and found the dogs 'playing' with an adder. We are in Brittany (just across the channel) but well remember adders from my days in south Wales and Cornwall.

If you're out walking in the country: keep a look out as the snakes are just starting to warm up.

Poor boy was in pain an in shock and now at the vets; quite worried about him but vet phoned and said he is improving. Cardiac problems are the main concern.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Hope he is alright, poor boy
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Yes good luck. Did the puncture site swell up a lot too? I know you actually saw it, but I'm just wondering if you could give me a rundown on the immediate symptoms please, only because I too walk in an area which is well known for them, but it's such a lovely walk and I do it so early in the morning they wouldn't be about quite honestly, but just in case, it would be nice to know the symptoms please!

All the best, I've heard of a few getting bitten around here and they've always been ok after a visit to the vets, so I'm sure you dog will be fine too!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 06:14 PM
The symptoms of an adder bite are nausea, vomiting, swelling round the site of the bite, irregular heartbeat, shallow breathing (especially if the bite is on the face, they are the worst ones) and weakness. If you see the snake you can tell it apart from other non venomous species by the markings. If it has a zigzag pattern down the back and an X or V type shape on the head starting at the eyes, it's an adder and therefore venomous (though not all bites from an adder are venomous). Grass snakes have dark flanks that look like two stripes down the back when viewed from above and smooth snakes have horizontal stripes, so they're very easy to tell apart (chances are you'll never see a smooth snake though). Another good way to tell adders and grass ankes apart is that adders have a slit pupil, and grass snakes have a round one. Adders are the only poisionus species in the UK, but the others will still give a nice bite if provoked.
H, adders are very often out early in the morning, just after the sun comes up. here's hoping you're even madder than i thought and you walk Zena and Georgie in the dark??

Hope your boy is feeling better and home with you soon wolfdogowner.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all that fantastic info there Reisu, much appreciated! I go at 7.30 am. and although the sun is up, some of the walkers say it's far too early/cold for them at that time but now you got me really worried, coz the grass is so very long, there's loads of rabbit holes where I think they live, so I think I'll be changing my early morning walk to somewhere else then! A friend of mine's flatcoat pounced on one the other night up there at 5pm it was hot and sunny, and the adder raised itself up at her dog, but she managed to grab it and pull it away before the adder took a stab at it! I've also seen them out sunbathing on downland tracks in the heat of the day when I was up on a horse and that was quite scarey!

Oh dear Wolfdogowner, these symptoms sound a lot worse than I was imagining, you must be worried sick, but, as I said, I do have friends who have been through this and their dogs have all ended up fine, and I'm sure yours will be if the vet said he's improving, that's always good to hear isn't it!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Fortunately we dont see too many here but Adders are known to cause real problems for dogs. Pleased the Vet thinks he will be OK, I hope so.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes good luck. Did the puncture site swell up a lot too? I know you actually saw it, but I'm just wondering if you could give me a rundown on the immediate symptoms please, only because I too walk in an area which is well known for them, but it's such a lovely walk and I do it so early in the morning they wouldn't be about quite honestly, but just in case, it would be nice to know the symptoms please!

All the best, I've heard of a few getting bitten around here and they've always been ok after a visit to the vets, so I'm sure you dog will be fine too!
Having grabbed the 3 dogs, I wasn't sure that anyone was bitten. After a few minutes he started holding his paw up; he is a big 52 kilo dog. then he started to become a bit wobbly and laid down. Look at paw and coudn't really see anything. Called the emergency vet (bank holiday here) got to vet in 15 mins and he was starting to go really quiet. In vets he seemed to be passing out as I held him up but no real sign of swelling. He had anti inflammatory steroid for the shock and was put on a drip and I carried him to a kennel where he spent about 5 hrs on observation. When I got to see him again his paw and leg had swollen considerably but he was much better and wide awake!

He has to have antibiotics for the wound (now obvious), anti inflammatory and a diuretc.

Plus observation for coagulant problems (red spots on skin or round eyes etc) and cardiac problems.

He is now back home, grumpy as hell!
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Adders can't kill tho can they? Sorry for your news wolfdogowner! Hope dogs well.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Aww thats not good. Hope he is all better soon.

We have to be careful in the summer up on the dunes, the dogs more often disturb them and owners don't know what has happened as the snake is gone.

Best wishes for his recovery.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:49 AM
The snakes are out here too! I work at an Animal Emergency Clinic and we see four or five in a weekend. Mostly Copperheads, the occassional rattlesnake. I'm glad your dog is going to be okay!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >