Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-03-2012, 11:29 AM

Strangers

In the last week to tow weeks Max, my 5 1/2 month old male GSD has started barking at strangers when they approach us on the same path whilst out walking. He's been doing the same when they have a dog, but instead is focussed on the dog and will lunge.

I've been standing to the side and giving him treats / praise to build up positive reinforcement of the right behaviour, i.e. when he stops and puts a little attention on me he gets a reward.

Also, there is a family birthday party tonight and I'm thinking about asking some people he hasn't met to do a walk-by tomorrow before they head off back home and drop bits of chicken to help along with this.

He's 5 1/2 months now so I want to catch this quick and get him on the right path. What are your experiences of this and how have you handled it?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Fairly common in Shepherds.
What I do is to take charge of our personal space so it`s not their `job` to guard us.
This involves me teaching a Watch Me and Sit. When someone approaches I ask for a Watch, Sit and reward. If they have begun to react, I detour until they are calm then do it.
I don`t want my dogs to love strangers. I want them to ignore strangers.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Fairly common in Shepherds.
What I do is to take charge of our personal space so it`s not their `job` to guard us.
This involves me teaching a Watch Me and Sit. When someone approaches I ask for a Watch, Sit and reward. If they have begun to react, I detour until they are calm then do it.
I don`t want my dogs to love strangers. I want them to ignore strangers.
thanks, excellent post, gives me confidence in what i am doing with him
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I agree with C&D. I don't want my dogs mugging strangers for treats, or even interacting with them unless I say so. Therefore, I would definitely teach Max to watch you, play games around strange people and dogs and just generally try to get him more focused on you and ignoring other people and dogs.

As he is a rescue pup (with his breeding mostly unknown) at least part of this behaviour could be down to that, and so definitely worth working on straightaway. I would just try to keep any interactions with people and dogs as positive and fun as possible.

Good luck.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 02:46 PM
oh i went the other way, we do the turn and burn and when she made it over to stranger i was asking the stranger to give her a treat. she now is very happy to see strangers but she dont mug them
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 02:47 PM
i do only do this if the person look like they want to interact, as most dogless people like saying hello. its the ones with dogs that avoid us
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Walk number two was much better today. He wasn't barking at other strangers or dogs and was taking treats from me with a bit of eye contact.

Near the end of walk we were off lead (there'#s a farm up the road) and as we approach a corner Max turned a corner and at first looked happy, then defensive.

When I got to the corner I saw why.

He had came face to face with the chocolate lab along the road. Let me explain. This Lab has attacked Lady on many occassions and we have been to the Dog Warden about this one.

Max backed off but Lady went into defend him. Got Lady away quickly enough. At this point I was quite angry and I said to the owner that he should have that dog on the lead and I'd told him this before. He screwed his face up and told me his dog had never attacked anyone (I have scars on the back of the leg from an incident a couple of years ago where this choc lab had attacked Lady and Tomas and I had put my foot in to defend my dogs).

At this point I lost it a bit and I think he is in no uncertain terms of my opinion of him having his dog off lead.....

Anyway, its 2 steps forward for Max today, hopefully not 3 or 4 back, but luckily I'm off work until Wednesday so I'm going to put plenty of work in to build up postive association with strangers.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 07:18 PM
This is common in ALL breeds and is not breed specific.

The months between 6 to 14 months is known as the Second Fear Imprint Period.

The dog may show fear of both familiar and new situations and may be reluctant to approach someone or something new.

Patience and the jolly hockeysticks approach is vital in these situations.

No dog should be forced face animate objects during this time and of course no soothing tones should be used.

The appropriate training will help improve the dog's confidence.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 07:46 PM
I agree with the advice you have been given, i asked a similar question just a short while ago when my pup was about 5 months and got the same advice and im glad to say it worked.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Thank you all.

Yesterday's walk was much better. Watch me worked well and Max didn't bark at approaching strangers or dogs.

There was a point where a bull mastiff lunged at the both of them and although Lady lunged back, Max did not. I was able to bring them both in for a watch me.

Pleased with this. After the choc lab episode the day before I was concerned there may be a long haul.

Thanks again