Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 08:02 AM

Honey the Husky

Doesnt look like a husky to me probably a cross me thinks??

http://www.battersea.org.uk/applicat...dogs=&skip=12&
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 08:12 AM
The Battersea staff will have evaluated any dog that comes in as to which "box" it will fit in best in order to market it effectively.

If you mention a breed that it IS or resembles it means prospective owners have a picture in their mind of its looks and behaviours.

Over and above that, there are many pedigree dogs who may not exactly "meet" the breed standard.

In addition the bitch may be coating.................
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The Battersea staff will have evaluated any dog that comes in as to which "box" it will fit in best in order to market it effectively.

If you mention a breed that it IS or resembles it means prospective owners have a picture in their mind of its looks and behaviours.

Over and above that, there are many pedigree dogs who may not exactly "meet" the breed standard.

In addition the bitch may be coating.................
Coating? Never heard of that one o.0
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 08:45 AM
lots of huskys in Battersea at the mo..

Most aren't exactly 'well bred'. Poor things. Victims of being adorable puppies and horrible teenagers!... I came close to giving Kismet up when she hit 18months as well... She was a nightmare.. But I'm glad I didn't and she's settling down now. You just have to wait 3-4 years.... I'm hoping she'll be a lovely settled dog in about 10 years time...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 08:47 AM
The dogs aren't necessarily listed on the website as they are in the kennels too, OH and I went to the Old Windsor one on a day off last month and there were a few listed as purebred on the website that I'd said were crosses, and they were listed as crosses on their kennels. Probably just fitting them into certain categories for the search feature on the website or something.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 08:54 AM
The Battersea song used to go (to the lone ranger theme)... Staffy staffy staffy staffy lurcher, staffy staffy staffy staffy staffy staffy cross... but becoming staffy staffy staffy staffy staffy staffy Husky-cross
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Coating? Never heard of that one o.0
Coating is a term which basically covers all the things that can happen to dogs when they moult or lose their coat.

Some breeds get what looks like rain spotting (short coated) other with profuse coats can go almost bald.

This usually occurs when you least want it ie just before Crufts!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
lots of huskys in Battersea at the mo..

Most aren't exactly 'well bred'. Poor things. Victims of being adorable puppies and horrible teenagers!... I came close to giving Kismet up when she hit 18months as well... She was a nightmare.. But I'm glad I didn't and she's settling down now. You just have to wait 3-4 years.... I'm hoping she'll be a lovely settled dog in about 10 years time...
I had similar thing with Millie she turned puppy aggressive after a month but after getting a 121 everything got better and she's a lot more settled im glad I didn't get rid of her. I also put it down to what I was feeding her isnce ive avoided pedigree chum she doesnt show any aggression anymore.

I just dont think most people think about this part of owning dogs that their adorable puppy will turn into a terrible teenager and some breeds you have to work more on then others and none of that is in any literature that I know of its something you find out for yourself and for some I think its just too much hence why so many potential decent dogs wind up in homming centres people just be bothered to work out the problem and would rather pass it onto someone else.