Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 07:46 PM
The Mekuti harness is excellent.
I used to use a Halti for Merlin as he had a habit of occasionally lunging at other dogs/cyclists on the pavement etc but with the Mekuti he became a lot less reactive and it's been easier to train him out of it.

Do however keep your old headcollar/s - you never know when it might come in handy. I have found a use for my old ones in the last couple of weeks, firstly for Rue who lunged at - and narrowly missed injuring - a cat that suddenly jumped up on a garden wall [it's now confirmed she has felicidal tendencies] - a Halti will help prevent such occurrences as unlike other makes of head collar it closes around the mouth when the dog lunges.

Secondly, I found I needed a Halti for Merlin again just temporarily after injuring my hands. I wasn't able to walk him for a few days but with a Halti I could take him out again as you simply don't need to use as much pressure, and you don't need to use your left hand (if dog is on your left) as you would to handle a lead (and my left hand was the most injured).

I've tried K9Bridle, Gencon and Gentle Leader before but found the Halti the best for lungey dogs as you are able to redirect the dog's sharp end!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
Which black dog headcollar did you try? I've heard good things about the infin8
I tried the training halti - may have to try the infin8 though - it looks better designed.

Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
The Mekuti harness is excellent.
I used to use a Halti for Merlin as he had a habit of occasionally lunging at other dogs/cyclists on the pavement etc but with the Mekuti he became a lot less reactive and it's been easier to train him out of it.

Do however keep your old headcollar/s - you never know when it might come in handy. I have found a use for my old ones in the last couple of weeks, firstly for Rue who lunged at - and narrowly missed injuring - a cat that suddenly jumped up on a garden wall [it's now confirmed she has felicidal tendencies] - a Halti will help prevent such occurrences as unlike other makes of head collar it closes around the mouth when the dog lunges.

Secondly, I found I needed a Halti for Merlin again just temporarily after injuring my hands. I wasn't able to walk him for a few days but with a Halti I could take him out again as you simply don't need to use as much pressure, and you don't need to use your left hand (if dog is on your left) as you would to handle a lead (and my left hand was the most injured).

I've tried K9Bridle, Gencon and Gentle Leader before but found the Halti the best for lungey dogs as you are able to redirect the dog's sharp end!
I keep everything, I have a few halti's and gave up on the ones that I keep buying, so with the oldest halti we had I stuck it on Benjie and tried to make modifications - I failed and it ended up in the bin - but we have a couple more somewhere so no matter.

He isn't lungey as such - he just wants to meet everything! I keep (empty) threatening him that he'll meet my boot if he carries on it doesn't seem to do anything. We took them out last night, Louie on the BDHC and it's clear that my OH keeps up no consistency at all, I tried to get Louie to sit close to me on the side of the road - he laid down and my OH not waiting for me taking the other two ahead was making life so much more difficult and then said "just leave it and come on" I had a huge go at him because now I realise why none of my dogs know heel when I've spent months and with Sadie years teaching them to walk by my side - Sadie did know it offlead too. I spent months with Benjie also. And when they're all together - he lets them pull. And even better he takes them on at least 2 walks a day and just doesn't see a problem.

So it's not really an equipment issue - it's a useless, doesn't listen at training class or to me, OH issue. Hopefully basic training will change him for the better and he'll listen to me more.

I've made him take the older two out today - because I know that when Benjie reacts Sadie won't and Louie can then get some one to one.

And I'm going with him to make sure he does it properly - I'm tired, frustrated and upset at everything and he may be leaving this Sunday but I've been telling him for months how to walk Louie, how to stop him pulling and he's let it go in one ear and out the other with no respect to me. So he's having it all today and we're going somewhere where the dogs cannot react to goats and cats - which he also allows!

Sorry for the rant you guys - with everything going on it just pours out..
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't have problems with the Dogmatic rising into the eyes but I did find Kiki wasn't the size she was on paper so maybe this is the issue.
Inconsistancies in walking will be a problem - I've been through it myself, my brother and his girlfriend often took the dogs out and one day we all walked to the pub together and the girlfriend was just letting the dogs steam ahead, switching from side to side all over the place. Kiki's iffy lead manners all made sense after that! They don't walk them very often now so it's improved, so definately try to stress the importance to your OH.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 10:12 AM
The Black Dog has not gone up into Ollie's eyes at all, though he doesn't pull with it on, except to lunge at another dog. I do have it paired up with a front clip harness as well, though, on a double ended leash.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 10:22 AM
..a certain wee dog chewed through Tupacs leather dogmatic which i loved!

so...am using a leather slip lead as a head collar in the shorterm but as dogmatics are so expensive(only like the leather with proper buckle) i will be ordering a leather figure of 8 for £10 cheaper
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Iv just come on here about to ask about a headcollar for Simba.
He has so far bitten through 3!!!!! halti headcollars!
I need a headcollar that he cant bite through. :S
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Iv just come on here about to ask about a headcollar for Simba.
He has so far bitten through 3!!!!! halti headcollars!
I need a headcollar that he cant bite through. :S
how did he bite through 3
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
lol you may well ask. first time was when OH was talking to my auntie, and simba bit through the nosepiece in about 5 seconds.

2nd time was when I was climbing over a stile [he had gone under and was waiting the other side, me still holding his lead as there were cattle in the field] He obviously didnt want to wait so bit through it in the time it took me to get over the stile.

3rd time was on sunday, my brother held him for me while I untangled Flint and Gemma, turned back around to get simba and what do you know....bit through it again!

So thats 3 halti headcollars in the space of about 1 month, and now he knows how to do it I worry he will just keep doing it.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
I've seen him walking - not the best lead manners so I can believe it

Kate I would try the dogmatic on Simba - it's pretty thick or maybe the BDHC infin8 for him..

I think a figure of 8 might be better for Louie than the other designs - when I have pennies though.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I've seen him walking - not the best lead manners so I can believe it

Kate I would try the dogmatic on Simba - it's pretty thick or maybe the BDHC infin8 for him..

I think a figure of 8 might be better for Louie than the other designs - when I have pennies though.
Iv looked at the dogmatic, but, like the halti, it has a loose bit near his mouth that he could very easily bite through, so figured a canny collar would be better as there is no loose bits and it connects to the back of his neck?? I dont really know what to do for the best :S
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >